U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is taking the necessary steps to begin offshore drilling for oil. House Resolution 2806 was filed this past Monday (7/14) and passed its first reading on Tuesday and referred to the rules committee.
Bill

GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA

SESSION 2007

H 1

HOUSE RESOLUTION 2806

Sponsors:
Representatives Stam, McGee, Folwell, Justice (Primary Sponsors); Avila, Barnhart, Blackwood, Blust, Boylan, Brubaker, Clary, Cleveland, Current, Daughtridge, Daughtry, Dockham, Dollar, Frye, Furr, Gillespie, Gulley, Hilton, Holloway, Holmes, Hurley, Justus, Killian, Kiser, Langdon, Lewis, McElraft, Moore, Neumann, Pate, Ray, Samuelson, Setzer, Starnes, Steen, Thomas, Tillis, Walend, Walker, West, and Wiley.

Referred to:
Rules, Calendar, and Operations of the House.

July 15, 2008

A HOUSE RESOLUTION URGING CONGRESS TO ALLOW NORTH cAROLINA TO DETERMINE WHETHER OFFSHORE EXPLORATION AND DRILLING SHOULD BE ALLOWED OFf THE COAST OF NORTH CAROLINA.

Whereas, North Carolinians and all Americans are suffering from record high gasoline prices; and

Whereas, federal moratoria prohibit oil and natural gas drilling, exploration, and production in the State of North Carolina's outer continental shelf (OCS); and

Whereas, the State of North Carolina and all coastal states should have the right to determine on their own whether such drilling, exploration, and production should be permitted along their coasts; and

Whereas, H.R. 6108, the Deep Ocean Energy Resources Act of 2008 would permit states to make such energy decisions off their coasts; and

Whereas, according to the United States Department of Interior, there are an estimated 3.82 billion barrels' worth of oil and 36.99 trillion cubic feet of natural gas on the Atlantic OCS; and

Whereas, Congress and the President should eliminate policies, such as the OCS moratoria, which artificially limit oil supply and thereby increase gasoline prices; and

Whereas, lower energy costs and more reliable energy markets in North Carolina would promote economic growth and prosperity; and

Whereas, according to the United States House Committee on Natural Resources staff, the State of North Carolina would receive about $23.82 billion in royalties over a 30‑40 year period through revenue sharing from OCS leases; and

Whereas, offshore oil drilling off the coast of North Carolina would lead to significant job growth for coastal communities; and

Whereas, the United States Department of Energy has stated, "Advanced, more energy‑efficient drilling and production…practically eliminate spills from offshore platforms"; Now, therefore,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives:

SECTION 1. The North Carolina House of Representatives urges the North Carolina Congressional Delegation to support H.R. 6108, The Deep Ocean Energy Resources Act of 2008, or other similar legislation that gives North Carolina the authority to determine whether offshore drilling should be permitted along its coast.

SECTION 2. The Principal Clerk shall transmit a certified copy of this resolution to the President of the United States and to each member of the United States Congress representing North Carolina.

SECTION 3. This resolution is effective upon adoption.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 07-16-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,742,092 times
I hope it doesn't pass because it will do nothing to help our gas prices but will give the oil companies billions more in profits.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I hope it doesn't pass because it will do nothing to help our gas prices but will give the oil companies billions more in profits.
Doesn't matter, federal law prohibts drilling.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
i would think twice on my view on this bill that Governor Candidate for this year Pat McCroy supports and Representive Sue Myrick supports amoung a few if they worded the bill or oil so that it only to be use for America. I would also support oil refineries in the coastal plain if only it was for usa consumption but no oil is a world commodity sold on world markets and just like the oil we already produce it will be sold to foriegn countries.

It forget about NC precious earth it provides and screw it all up with the future OLF and these shining rigs to look at while your laying on the beach it just FABOLOUS

PROTECT OUR COAST

Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Under the 1981 federal moratorium, states are prohibited from allowing offshore oil and gas drilling and exploration, protecting virtually the entire Atlantic and Pacific coastlines and sections of the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Under the 1981 federal moratorium, states are prohibited from allowing offshore oil and gas drilling and exploration, protecting virtually the entire Atlantic and Pacific coastlines and sections of the Gulf of Mexico.
and I hope that stands
but there is also a push to allow states to decide off shore drilling off the atlantic coast line.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
and I hope that stands
but there is also a push to allow states to decide off shore drilling off the atlantic coast line.
I think it comes up for congressional review and renewal in September 2008. It's unlikely to be repealed considering how many times the ban has been renewed before even with the changes in congressional party control over the past 27 years. Any actions by the NC General Assembly is a waste of time without action by the Feds.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-16-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 PM

That brings me so much relief and answers alot of my concerns

Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
Bush lifts executive ban on offshore oil drilling: Click Here

Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Bush lifts executive ban on offshore oil drilling: Click Here
and you just killed my relief and concerns

lol

I knew there was something up with local leaders of this state pushing NC to allow off shore drilling, and I hope they block it and I hope the next president is able to fix the current president executive orders or stall them from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina