U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM

355 posts, read 1,321,949 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all.

I'll be in Wilmington this weekend for an educational 'event.'

I've never been to North Carolina, and certainly not Wilmington.

What are the cannot miss things to eat and do on my weekend trip?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,363,487 times
depends on what you like to eat. not much to do in wilmington that you can't already do in charleston. downtown is quaint, so you might check that out. wrightsville beach is nice as well. maybe you could tour the movie studio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyGirl View Post
Hey y'all.

I'll be in Wilmington this weekend for an educational 'event.'

I've never been to North Carolina, and certainly not Wilmington.

What are the cannot miss things to eat and do on my weekend trip?

Thank you!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM

355 posts, read 1,321,949 times
I'm surprised that there are no more responses than that one.

Most of the time with this kind of question, people can throw out known popular restaurants or things to do............

Kind of a disappointment. Wilmington is so far, nice enough-can't believe people don't have more opinion!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM

116 posts, read 489,928 times
I used to post a lot more but I got tired of the few, yet very vocal naysayers downing everything. After a while, it just became clear that it wasn't worth my time. But rest assured, there are many folks that love this town and feel very fortunate to live here.

Now to address your question, I would suggest checking out the Cotton Exchange and walking the river front. If you head to Wrightsville Beach, be sure to check out Bluewater restaurant (if you want to spend a bit more) or Dockside (if you want to spend a little less). Both have wonderful water views and good food.

There are several different tours that you can take in the downtown area and with your limited time, that would seem to be a good bet.

Enjoy your time!

Last edited by BeachLiving; 07-20-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,363,487 times
I think the problem is where you are coming from. wilmington and charleston are just so similar. I agree with the cotton exchange. they also have a haunted pub crawl at night downtown. you can go see the the battleship north carolina. I suggest the oceanic at wrightsville beach. you can also cruise down past carolina beach to fort fisher and the aquarium.

Quote:

Most of the time with this kind of question, people can throw out known popular restaurants or things to do............

Kind of a disappointment. Wilmington is so far, nice enough-can't believe people don't have more opinion!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM

217 posts, read 1,032,439 times
Quote:

I agree with Beachliving. There are a lot of downers on the coastal carolina forum. It gets old trying to defend a place you love living. There is tons of stuff to do here. I would definitely recommend the riverwalk downtown. There are some great restaurants and shops downtown. I really like Circa 1922 but if you want a river view, check out Elijah's or The George. Wrighsville Beach is a must see. I personally like Airlie Seafood Co or Bridge Tender for waterfront dining at the beach. Mayfaire is pretty cool. It's a large "out door mall" type of thing off of Military Cut off. The aquarium at Fort Fisher is nice too! Enjoy your time here!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,540 times
i know this is an old post but I am a resident of Wilmington NC and have found it frustrating trying to find new things to do. I found it humorous that all of the responses seemed to be similar, Downtown, cotton exchange, wrightsville beach. oh and the battleship. Wilmington is home of very wonderful people and a beautiful atmosphere like charleston though and very good city to call home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina