U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 32,681 times

Advertisements

I have lived in North Carolina all my life. Never wanted to live in any other state. I have been trying to find a place in Wilmington, preferably near to the school I will be teaching at as a special education teacher in 2009. The downtown area is nice but getting a home (I can afford) there has proven to be a feat. On a teacher's salary and being a single parent, it appears I have ran into a Goliath. Anyone know of any communities that has plans for rehab that are selling reasonably. I am looking for a decent middle of the road neighborhood. Neither the "hood" nor the "burbs" just somewhere regular. I work, pay taxes, go to bed early and mind my business -- a good neighbor appreciates the same. I would need to be around the Princess Place/Chestnut Drive area which some people have told me to avoid. However, I have been to this area and haven't seen anything that I think I could not live with. I currently live in Gastonia NC and have pretty much seen it all -- so there is no place else but up???. Would also like to hear from anyone who lives in this area about to gain insight from a personal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM

412 posts, read 1,109,380 times
I know EXACTLY how you feel about the difficulties in finding affordable housing! I'm a teacher and single parent also (although I teach at the college level). I am still waiting for something affordable in a decent neighborhood. It's actually much cheaper for me to rent a house until I can save for a downpayment.

Unfortunately I don't know much about downtown neighborhoods as I'm trying to stay out of city limits. Crime is an issue in Wilmington. Are you looking for a rental or do you want to purchase a home? If purchasing, have you found a realtor yet?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,360,294 times
I live in that area, and while some will tell you to avoid it, I have never had a problem here. I actually wouldn't trade it for any of the "nice" burbs in the ogden area. the princess place area is pretty affordable for the downtown area, but that might depend on your definition of affordable. you can get stuff here well under $200,000. I have seen some of the smaller houses in this neighborhood (2bdr 1bth 900sqft) sell in the $165,000 range. unfortunately, it really doesn't get too much cheaper than that this close to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinglily View Post
I have lived in North Carolina all my life. Never wanted to live in any other state. I have been trying to find a place in Wilmington, preferably near to the school I will be teaching at as a special education teacher in 2009. The downtown area is nice but getting a home (I can afford) there has proven to be a feat. On a teacher's salary and being a single parent, it appears I have ran into a Goliath. Anyone know of any communities that has plans for rehab that are selling reasonably. I am looking for a decent middle of the road neighborhood. Neither the "hood" nor the "burbs" just somewhere regular. I work, pay taxes, go to bed early and mind my business -- a good neighbor appreciates the same. I would need to be around the Princess Place/Chestnut Drive area which some people have told me to avoid. However, I have been to this area and haven't seen anything that I think I could not live with. I currently live in Gastonia NC and have pretty much seen it all -- so there is no place else but up???. Would also like to hear from anyone who lives in this area about to gain insight from a personal level.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM

700 posts, read 2,944,144 times
I've said it before and I'm saying it again......STAY OUT OF DOWNTOWN!!! Crime is rampant down there. That's how it got ranked number seventy-eight in the country which is ridiculous for such a small town. It's not worth the risk.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:22 PM

the risk? that's like saying, stay off airplanes. europe is nice, but it's not worth the risk.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM

You're comparing Europe and Wilmington????? P-L-E-A-S-E. Europe is worth it.......Wilmington is not.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:26 PM

412 posts, read 1,109,380 times
I think there are pockets of downtown that are fine. One block might be virtually crime-free, but a few blocks over you could have lots of break-ins, drug busts, etc. Keep in mind though - there are crimes in the suburbs as well - sometimes it's just not blatently in your face as it may be in a downtown area (i.e. the drug dealers are inside the house in the suburbs but outside on the street corner in the hood).

I can agree with jmarquise in some aspects - crime isn't as bad as one might think in every area of downtown - especially when you compare it to somewhere like Detroit. I have plenty of friends that live downtown with no problems.

But why risk it? Especially a single woman with a child! For a newcomer that doesn't know the area well, their best bet may be to live somewhere other than downtown at first.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM

I Firmly Agree! Like I said,it's just not worth the risk.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM

haha florida, I wasn't comparing wilmington to europe. I was comparing the risk of flying to the risk of living in downtown wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
You're comparing Europe and Wilmington????? P-L-E-A-S-E. Europe is worth it.......Wilmington is not.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM

I agree with you in some aspects as well. I agree that downtown has pockets that are good and bad, but that can be said for every area in wilmington. I have posted data of each zip code in the area, and they really aren't that different. the safest zip code is the forest hills zip. the ogden zip has crime as bad as downtown and so does hampstead. they may have nice subdivisions, just don't look over that privacy fence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I think there are pockets of downtown that are fine. One block might be virtually crime-free, but a few blocks over you could have lots of break-ins, drug busts, etc. Keep in mind though - there are crimes in the suburbs as well - sometimes it's just not blatently in your face as it may be in a downtown area (i.e. the drug dealers are inside the house in the suburbs but outside on the street corner in the hood).

I can agree with jmarquise in some aspects - crime isn't as bad as one might think in every area of downtown - especially when you compare it to somewhere like Detroit. I have plenty of friends that live downtown with no problems.

But why risk it? Especially a single woman with a child! For a newcomer that doesn't know the area well, their best bet may be to live somewhere other than downtown at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina