U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM

53 posts, read 112,719 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Raleigh in one month and we want to know what is the closest quiet beach to Raleigh. We would be interested in buying a second home/condo in the area but we want it to be near the ocean but not on it and maybe associated with a golf course and a pool/community center. Most important to us is short travel time from Raleigh and quiet. We are willing to spend up to $350K. Vacationed at Emerald island before and liked it, but that was fifteen years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,777,204 times
Closest in terms of travel time is Wrightsville around 2 hrs away, but it is totally different from Emerald Isle and don't believe it would fit your quiet criteria. Topsail is only 15-20 mins further, and has a quieter family atmosphere. Most of the condos seem to be in North Topsail. Emerald Isle is nice and also quiet, but is about 30-40 minutes farther than Topsail.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 AM

412 posts, read 1,163,045 times
The Brunswick County Beaches (south of Wilmington) would also be quiet, I believe - Oak Island, Holden, Ocean Isle, Sunset, and I feel like there's at least one more. They wouldn't be any closer than Topsail, and as you go further south, they'd be further from Raleigh, but still not too terribly far (Sunset is the furthest and it's about 3 hours depending on where you start in Raleigh).

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 22,414,113 times
I would look into Brunswick Co beaches as well. I do not believe 350K will get you anything at Wrightsville, which is the closest. Possibly somewhere in Wilmington, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a beach home.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 AM

188 posts, read 666,590 times
While the previous posts here contain good info, you will really need to do some legwork to see what will be the best fit for you. Regardless of which beach you choose, you will have a lot of options as it is really a buyer's market right now.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,786,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by husbandofraleighwife View Post
We would be interested in buying a second home/condo in the area but we want it to be near the ocean but not on it and maybe associated with a golf course and a pool/community center.
My folks live down near Topsail. In your price range you can find a home in Sneads Ferry, but it won't be sound front and it won't be a pool neighborhood.

Sneads Ferry is the little town right off Topsail Island. Since TI is a really narrow island (most geologist have described it as a shifting sand bar) I would never buy on the actual island (hurricanes and all). But you can get a condo on TI in your price range, with a pool. (The Surf, The Dunes, Villa Capriana are a few).

For golf communities down there check North Shore Country Club in Sneads Ferry. I don't think you will find a home there for 350K. But you could buy in SF and play at North Shore as it's open to the public.

I personally love Swansboro and it's not far from Atlantic Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina