U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 31,830 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up it was called Texas Gulf and my dad actually had a job there for awhile. It was a great place to work with excellent benefits. The drive from Washington NC isn't really that bad. The roads might not be four lane interstate, but there isn't that much traffic on them either so it balances out IMO. If you live in Washington it will be a little over a half hour to drive there and about a half hour in the other direction to get to Greenville for anything you might want or need. That's not to bad IMO. Good luck with your app, hope you get hired.

Johnniereb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM

8 posts, read 29,014 times
A lot of the members of my church live in Vanceboro and work at PCS. They car pool. Perhaps the human resource department can assist you?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,767 times
Default wondering about moving out that way

but I am worried about property values near a such a production plant. I know this is probably not a popular question, but any information about environmental impact? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
There are SIGNIFICANT environmental issues with PCS phosphate. The Pamlico-Tar River Foundation (PTRF) is in the forefront. Here is a link to their position on PCS.
Phosphate Mining Expansion (http://www.ptrf.org/PhosphateMiningExpansion.html - broken link)

I think the position of the PTRF, while possible totally good, ignores the jobs and the economic impact of PCS. PTRF and the environmentalist ARE NEVER GONNA WIN against the threat of job elimination.

I have for years counseled a more moderate approach, working with PCS but there is just too much baggage, on both sides, for that to truly happen. It seems self evident, that getting 25% of what you want is better than being shut out, but others apparently do not view it that way.

I think to put ones head in the sand and say no environmental impact is just as foolish as saying everything is bad"

Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,076 times
I know someone who has worked at PCS for 30 years and really likes it. If I worked there I would definitely live in Aurora, but I like the boondocks.

LLN, I agree with you. There has to be a balance somewhere. But often neither side is willing to concede to find the best of both worlds....

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
Great place to work from everything I have ever heard (I used to deal with them as a vendor).

The biggest problem is that Aurora is about as isolated as you can get. Plan on driving at least 45 minutes each way if you want to live anywhere with civilization (New Bern & Washington are the closest towns). Greenville is a good hour drive on crappy roads.

Havelock and MHC aren't too far via the Cherry Branch-Minnesott Island ferry.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
"PCS must complete extensive mitigation and monitoring before, during and following all mining activities."
PCS Phosphate Gets New Permit After 8 Year Battle (http://www.witn.com/beaufortcounty/headlines/46850537.html - broken link)

In a nutshell PCS has to replace everything it disturbs. As the news articles states-It employs 1100 people.
Beaufort County is not very populated. As a result-Property values are low. But-PCS pays its employees well-Better than what is indicative of eastern NC.

Sooooo.............More pay, lower cost equals a better standard of living than what is usually found in the area.
Bill

Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 38,744 times
im actually looking at aurora as a place to live, looking for something middle of nowhere within an hour to a larger town with the likes of walmart and such but close to water!
ive heard good things about working for PCS too!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM

693 posts, read 1,407,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseascresties View Post
im actually looking at aurora as a place to live, looking for something middle of nowhere within an hour to a larger town with the likes of walmart and such but close to water!
ive heard good things about working for PCS too!
There are a lot of communities you could look at in Pamlico and Beaufort counties for what you seek...it's very tranquil. Hope you find the right place!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 AM

8 posts, read 29,014 times
West Craven town of Vanceboro has what you seek. Plus the addition of low taxes and utilities. Sure , as anywhere, there are pockets of crime, but there is also several nice developments of professional folks who daily travel to Greenville or New Bern to work while they enjoy the country life . Check out the Streets Ferry / Butler Farms area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina