U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM

952 posts, read 2,293,841 times

Advertisements

What kind of inshore fishing can I expect in Pamlico Sound and Albemarle Sound? Are there locations reachable by kayak or do I need a skiff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,569,879 times
Rtom45,
You speak of a very large area and one where fishing varies greatly depending on the season.
Tarpon fishing has taken off from the Neuse on out into the Pamlico on up behind Ocracoke. I am even getting reports of Tarpon off of little Washington/Pamlico River/Blounts Creek area!!
Flounder fishing is extremely good in the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers (Pamlico River-Not Sound!)
Speckled trout fishing is in full summer time swing.
Striped bass fishing is definetly an Albemarle Sound activity on up to Manteo-But not now.
Red Drum/Redfish are everywhere!! Slot sized are found where you find trout and flounder-The biggin's (30-50lbs.) are where you find the tarpon.
I can go into greater detail if you tell me a little more of where and/or what you are looking for!
Bill

Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM

36 posts, read 118,725 times
Default Eating the fish?

In the past year there have been some discussions regarding fish kills and pollution in the Neuse. This was primarily attributed to hog farm run off I think. Do people still eat the fish from the lower Neuse?

Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Be prepared to hear about fish kills over the next couple of months. August/September is when they are most likely to happen. The higher the water temperature, the lower the disolved oxygen in the water and fish suffocate.
The Neuse is not tidal-It has wind driven tides. It does not get it's water replenished like other waterways, like-Bogue Sound.
Small fish like spots and croakers and fragile fish like small menhadden die in the thousands, sometimes the 10's and 100's of thousands.
Sores are sometimes prevalent too. During these months of physical stress-The fish's immune systems lower and can become susceptible to disease.

This is NOT due to the toxic organism dinoflagellate called Physteria piscicida.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM

952 posts, read 2,293,841 times
Bill:
As you may have noticed, I'm living in Erie, PA. If my wife has her way (and I expect she will), when we retire in a couple years, we'll live in coastal North Carolina. I've been fishing since I was a kid, and flyfishing since I was about 15. Here the main attraction for me is steelhead fishing in the fall and early winter. And I've gotten very good at it. If (when) we move to NC, I see inshore fishing as my next challenge. If there is reasonable fishing from a kayak then that's how I'll start. At some point I plan to have a boat, but don't want to commit to one right away. At the same time, I don't want to miss out on some opportunities if the only way to find decent fishing is by boat.
Thanks for your earlier response, it reinforces much of what I've read and found online.
PS: When we do get a boat, I expect my wife will be the captain and I'll fish!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM

709 posts, read 2,348,766 times
Smile Kayak and skiff will both work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Bill:
As you may have noticed, I'm living in Erie, PA. If my wife has her way (and I expect she will), when we retire in a couple years, we'll live in coastal North Carolina. I've been fishing since I was a kid, and flyfishing since I was about 15. Here the main attraction for me is steelhead fishing in the fall and early winter. And I've gotten very good at it. If (when) we move to NC, I see inshore fishing as my next challenge. If there is reasonable fishing from a kayak then that's how I'll start. At some point I plan to have a boat, but don't want to commit to one right away. At the same time, I don't want to miss out on some opportunities if the only way to find decent fishing is by boat.
Thanks for your earlier response, it reinforces much of what I've read and found online.
PS: When we do get a boat, I expect my wife will be the captain and I'll fish!
I have fished up in the Beaufort area by skiff before we moved down here.

This is a post about a trip there in fall 2005.

When we moved down here in 2006, one of the first things I did was buy a kayak so I could do a little fishing. We had in our plans to buy a boat, but I wanted to do some research first.

I have had some luck fishing out of the kayak, but I also caught quiet a few fishing off of my dock. I have also been fly fishing since my early years so it wasn't long before I started fishing off the dock with a fly rod. I think I went one 30 day period when I caught a least one fish per day off the dock. There was nothing very big, but I did get one pretty nice croaker.

By June of last year I had decided what type of skiff to buy. Buying a boat was an experience.

Though I managed to have fun fishing last year, much of the time was devoted to becoming a competent boater. This year I have focused more on fishing, but it has been a slower year. We have had some good luck trolling with planers just off the beaches for Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish. The only challenge is that it really takes two people to have fun doing it so you have to have a fishing buddy.

I think you can have fun fishing in a kayak, I just find it hard to be comfortable for more than a couple of hours. That might be age. I regularly go out in our river, the White Oak, and have fun fishing, but I don't come back with the number of fish that I do when we go in the skiff.

Still sometimes it is easier to drop the kayak in the water and go fishing by myself. I can paddle out our inlet in and be in the White Oak in five minutes.

I also can fish areas where it is very hard to fish with even a skiff. They both have their places, but for fishing I like the skiff better and for relaxation and exercise the kayak works best.

We never bring home more than we can eat in one or two meals, but sometimes I think the kayak is my appetizer boat and the skiff is the main course boat.

In a skiff you can cover so much more ground and it is easier at least in our case to get to the better fishing areas like Bogue Inlet.

I think you'll find fish one way or the other. Do keep in mind that the weather changes rapidly down here and the shallow water areas can get whipped up pretty quickly.

I'm pretty cautious in both the skiff and kayak. We do a lot of early morning fishing in the skiff and if we are out during the day, we try to be back before three so we can miss the evening thunderstorms.

In the kayak I will go out in more questionable weather, but I am never more than five to ten minutes of hard paddling from my home dock. The White Oak where I kayak is about a mile wide so I have plenty of water to wander close to home.

Usually when the wind whips up I can just paddle over to our cove and fish my way home in some very quiet waters.

Good luck with your adventure.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 AM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 29 days ago)

3,606 posts, read 4,456,756 times
I am surprised Bill did not mention this site, I think he started it or co-founded it. You will need to register, I think, this link will take you to kayak fishing reports. Ask questions, there, as well.

http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=87

There are some guys that do a lot of fishing in yaks. You will do best on creeks and very sheltered bays. Few days, in my experience, are good *** days on "big water." Not saying you cant fish most days, but I find it too much work fighting wind. There are lots of *** clubs down here, some may promote fishing to a degree, but I can assure you there is plenty of fishing from yaks available, just don't expect to cruise out on Albemarle Sound every day!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM

LLN,
I created that site and maintained it for almost 5 years before taking on a partner. I sold all interests to that partner last April. I did not mention the site for fear of CD rule infringement.
Bill

Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Rtom45,
You speak of a very large area and one where fishing varies greatly depending on the season.
Tarpon fishing has taken off from the Neuse on out into the Pamlico on up behind Ocracoke. I am even getting reports of Tarpon off of little Washington/Pamlico River/Blounts Creek area!!
Flounder fishing is extremely good in the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers (Pamlico River-Not Sound!)
Speckled trout fishing is in full summer time swing.
Striped bass fishing is definetly an Albemarle Sound activity on up to Manteo-But not now.
Red Drum/Redfish are everywhere!! Slot sized are found where you find trout and flounder-The biggin's (30-50lbs.) are where you find the tarpon.
I can go into greater detail if you tell me a little more of where and/or what you are looking for!
Bill
hello bill my name is brandon chestnutt and im from Rose hill,nc, thats near wilmington, and i have a uncle that lives on gilead shores right off the river down from blounts creek. We go to his place every holiday and i was curious about catching more flounder, just needed a little help from you. We normally go into the creek a little ways and try to catch flounder by fishing against the shorline with the GULP 3" natural shrimp, sometimes we have luck and other times pretty crappy, the main problem is getting hung on debris under the water. Just wondering if you had any suggestions on catching any flounder in the creek or trout. We are going next week, if you can help me that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!! My email is [email]brandonchestnutt@hotmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina