Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Wow! This has evidently created quite a "Hub-bub"!! The CQ press site is down!!
Bill
The web site is back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Good point jmarquise.......however,just because you feel fine walking around the roughest neighborhoods doesn't mean everyone else does or would.I personally don't feel it's worth it,but like we've said before......to each his own.If you're willing to take that risk,more power to you-everyone doesn't feel that way and that's their choice. Bravery is one thing....stupidity is another.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
and we both know I am not stupid. I feel perfectly fine walking on my street, but I wouldn't make the decision to walk where I know there are crime pockets. it just depends on what fits the needs of the individual. a lot of people are willing to take the risk of living downtown to be closer to work and not commute. we all know the dangers of driving in new hanover county!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Good point jmarquise.......however,just because you feel fine walking around the roughest neighborhoods doesn't mean everyone else does or would.I personally don't feel it's worth it,but like we've said before......to each his own.If you're willing to take that risk,more power to you-everyone doesn't feel that way and that's their choice. Bravery is one thing....stupidity is another.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM

I wasn't implying that you are stupid.I can tell from your posts that you are VERY intelligent. I would feel more stupid and afraid though than brave and comfortable walking in a questionable area. People new to the area don't know where the crime pockets are so they would be taking a huge risk. Yes,driving around here is horrendous and I don't blame you for wanting to be closer to your job and not commute......especially with the high gas prices now as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,352 times
I think that's pretty funny. I really don't feel like this is a dangerous place to live. I know we do have a higher crime rate but "dangerous"? Interesting

Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 AM

Funny? I have a great sense of humor,but I see no humor in this huge problem.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster07 View Post
I think that's pretty funny. I really don't feel like this is a dangerous place to live. I know we do have a higher crime rate but "dangerous"? Interesting
I agree 100% Oyster, sometimes the over-the-top dramatics on this board are enough to make you shake your head and laugh. Do I like that Wilmington is ranked in the top 100 along with the other NC cities? No. Do I keep it in perspective and realize that the majority of areas in Wilmington are quite safe? Yes.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

183 posts, read 671,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
I agree 100% Oyster, sometimes the over-the-top dramatics on this board are enough to make you shake your head and laugh. Do I like that Wilmington is ranked in the top 100 along with the other NC cities? No. Do I keep it in perspective and realize that the majority of areas in Wilmington are quite safe? Yes.
While I do agree that sometimes there is some drama on the forums, I think the real issue a lot of people have is that while the majority of areas in Wilmington ARE quite safe, there are a LOT more bad areas now than than there used to be. I moved to Wilmington back in '83, and there were maybe 2 bad areas in town then. Fast-forward to now, and granted, Wilmington has grown, but the bad, run down areas seem to have grown faster.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
the downtown "revitalization" isn't quite going as planned. too many speculators out there hurt the local real estate market, so now there are large condo complexes in bad areas that are not selling. they need to attract more businesses to the bad areas before they build these upscale condos. very very poor city planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
While I do agree that sometimes there is some drama on the forums, I think the real issue a lot of people have is that while the majority of areas in Wilmington ARE quite safe, there are a LOT more bad areas now than than there used to be. I moved to Wilmington back in '83, and there were maybe 2 bad areas in town then. Fast-forward to now, and granted, Wilmington has grown, but the bad, run down areas seem to have grown faster.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM

35 posts, read 103,714 times
Hmmmm, I wonder what all of these cities have in common? :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina