U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 10,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
Very true. Back when I was in middle and high school (late 80s / early 90s), I lived over on Wilshire Blvd., and I would walk back and forth to my friends houses that were in the area, and it could be pitch black and no one worried. Now? There's absolutely NO way I'd walk alone in the dark anywhere near Wilshire.
Wilshire? are you serious? Mostly college kids live over there. I used to live of South Kerr right near Wilshire, and was never sketched out once. And I walked around all the time in the middle of night.
I now live off of queen st in downtown and work late night,so I don't get off work til after 3am most nights. I walk to and from work 90% of the time and feel pretty safe.

If you wanna talk about dangerous. Go walk down MLK or Simpson streets in West Atlanta, you WILL be robbed, and possibly shot, or worse. hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 14,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
That is very true jmarquise. Sometimes I wonder where the city and county official's heads are. Obviously,not in the right place at the right time.I'm a glass half full,positive,hopeful person,but I've about given up all hope for Wilmington.I have absolutely no faith in the leadership at the present time.
Florida15, if you consider yourself an optimist, I'd really hate to know what it'd take to be a pessimist in your world. Your posts in no way indicate any hint of optimism. This post, in which you claim to be an optimist, is almost as pessimistic as your other posts. Wilmington certainly has its share of problems, but your continued assault on it smacks of something well beyond just "not liking" the area. I've lived in Wilmington for a little over a month now and have found good and bad. But the good is a lot of fun and the potential for this area is actually stunning. There is a lot of work that's going to need be done (i.e. developer dollars invested) over the next 10-20 years, but the potential for a very fun, unique city beyond what already exists is incredible. It just takes a few, optimistic, well financed individuals with a little vision to see what opportunities are here. There is a lot of money to be made in this area for those willing to take on the challenges, but the opportunities are nearly limitless.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,817 times
the problem you will see, after you are here for a while, is that this place has had "potential" for a long time. city management is horrible and the developers around here are just as bad. I agree that there are good and bad things about being here, but after you are here a while, you will learn the way this city functions. that being said, these are opinion forums, and everyone is entitled to their own, be it positive, or be it cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoILM View Post
Florida15, if you consider yourself an optimist, I'd really hate to know what it'd take to be a pessimist in your world. Your posts in no way indicate any hint of optimism. This post, in which you claim to be an optimist, is almost as pessimistic as your other posts. Wilmington certainly has its share of problems, but your continued assault on it smacks of something well beyond just "not liking" the area. I've lived in Wilmington for a little over a month now and have found good and bad. But the good is a lot of fun and the potential for this area is actually stunning. There is a lot of work that's going to need be done (i.e. developer dollars invested) over the next 10-20 years, but the potential for a very fun, unique city beyond what already exists is incredible. It just takes a few, optimistic, well financed individuals with a little vision to see what opportunities are here. There is a lot of money to be made in this area for those willing to take on the challenges, but the opportunities are nearly limitless.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM

700 posts, read 2,942,380 times
Quote:
You're right...when it comes to Wilmington,like I said before,I've given up hope and the optimism for it's future is totally gone. A month is not long enough to form an opinion. Get back to me in a few years if you still feel the same. It probably want take a few years though....it only takes a few months for most people and believe me I'm not the only one who came here with a positive attitude that was shot down after awhile. Some have already left and others are just waiting on the economy to recover so they can leave as well. I hope all your dreams and visions come true,but I'm afraid you're just dreaming with blinders on or you haven't been here long enough to see the true picture.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
You're right...when it comes to Wilmington,like I said before,I've given up hope and the optimism for it's future is totally gone. A month is not long enough to form an opinion. Get back to me in a few years if you still feel the same. It probably want take a few years though....it only takes a few months for most people and believe me I'm not the only one who came here with a positive attitude that was shot down after awhile. Some have already left and others are just waiting on the economy to recover so they can leave as well. I hope all your dreams and visions come true,but I'm afraid you're just dreaming with blinders on or you haven't been here long enough to see the true picture.
1. How was it "shot down"?

2. What are my "blinders" preventing me from seeing - what is the "true picture"?

3. What happened to for your optimism for the future to be "totally gone"?

I certainly realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase here and, like I said, there is plenty of work to be done here. But you're going to have to give me more than cliches and platitudes to make your point. Now, I've still got an out, so make your case - why is my decision a bad one?

Finally, what is your ideal location? You want out - where do you want to go?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the problem you will see, after you are here for a while, is that this place has had "potential" for a long time. city management is horrible and the developers around here are just as bad. I agree that there are good and bad things about being here, but after you are here a while, you will learn the way this city functions. that being said, these are opinion forums, and everyone is entitled to their own, be it positive, or be it cynical.
Tell me why the city management and developers are horrible. Give me examples - tell me how "this city functions".

I certainly believe everybody is entitled to their opinion, whatever it is. The fact that I question the opinion - to dig deeper than the cliches and platitudes - is nothing more than a "newbie" trying to figure out why people think the way they think.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM

where should I start? no need to tell you how the city functions, because it DOESN'T function. start with management and planning. I am sure that you have been over to landfall, or as it is called now, mayfaire. a stretch of road, about a mile long, was recently expanded to 4 lanes. this project, where I am from, would have taken under a month to complete. it took the oh so efficient city and county employees over two years to complete, causing traffic headaches galore. about 2 years ago, we had multiple sewage spills, and seemingly nothing has been done. I wouldn't have such a problem with this, if they didn't decide to waste time with the money pit known as a convention center. I think there is some potential in the town, but it needs a major overhaul. law enforcement isn't up to the task, and they pay firemen $9.50 an hour. good luck keeping employees with that pay scale. there didn't seem to be too many rules and regulations for development here for a while. I think it has changed though. the practice of clear cutting, and letting all the silt flow into local bodies of water seems to be nearing an end. they did a little too much building too quickly. that's poor planning. how can you have thousands of people move to brunswick county, and not provide any roads? they did not prepare for any growth, and now they are playing catchup.

Quote:
Tell me why the city management and developers are horrible. Give me examples - tell me how "this city functions".

I certainly believe everybody is entitled to their opinion, whatever it is. The fact that I question the opinion - to dig deeper than the cliches and platitudes - is nothing more than a "newbie" trying to figure out why people think the way they think.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 AM

there is no ideal location. I have often stated that wilmington is good for a college kid, or if you are retiring and don't have to work, because the job situation here is a bit of a joke. or, if you want to be a 45 year old bartender. they can make a good living around here. is it worth that sacrifice to have the option to go to the beach every now and then? that's up to the individual. I made the sacrifice for a while now, but it's time to move on I think. for me, I would rather live a couple of hours from the beach, in a town with lots of jobs, and visit the beach. in my experience, living "near" the beach, is not the same as living "at" the beach. I don't go enough to justify the sacrifices that need to be made in order to be a resident of this town. oh, and my biggest complaint is the lack of hills, and the lack of greenery around here. everything is flat and pine. if you still have an out, you need to ask yourself, what are you doing here? did you come here because you got a great job? did you come here to retire? did you come here to go to college? or did you come here to live near the beach? you should make a checklist and see if the pros outweigh the cons, as there are many pros and cons to living here. it just all depends on what your priorities are.

Quote:
1. How was it "shot down"?

2. What are my "blinders" preventing me from seeing - what is the "true picture"?

3. What happened to for your optimism for the future to be "totally gone"?

I certainly realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase here and, like I said, there is plenty of work to be done here. But you're going to have to give me more than cliches and platitudes to make your point. Now, I've still got an out, so make your case - why is my decision a bad one?

Finally, what is your ideal location? You want out - where do you want to go?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM

700 posts, read 2,942,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
there is no ideal location. I have often stated that wilmington is good for a college kid, or if you are retiring and don't have to work, because the job situation here is a bit of a joke. or, if you want to be a 45 year old bartender. they can make a good living around here. is it worth that sacrifice to have the option to go to the beach every now and then? that's up to the individual. I made the sacrifice for a while now, but it's time to move on I think. for me, I would rather live a couple of hours from the beach, in a town with lots of jobs, and visit the beach. in my experience, living "near" the beach, is not the same as living "at" the beach. I don't go enough to justify the sacrifices that need to be made in order to be a resident of this town. oh, and my biggest complaint is the lack of hills, and the lack of greenery around here. everything is flat and pine. if you still have an out, you need to ask yourself, what are you doing here? did you come here because you got a great job? did you come here to retire? did you come here to go to college? or did you come here to live near the beach? you should make a checklist and see if the pros outweigh the cons, as there are many pros and cons to living here. it just all depends on what your priorities are.
Jmarquise......Thank you sooooo much for filling in the slack and answering these questions addressed to me from NewtoILM. I've been busy entertaining company and have been out of town briefly as well and am behind on my email,forums,etc. You did a great job and I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 14,699 times
Alright! I'm #7 on the safest list! Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina