U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM

26 posts, read 73,857 times

Advertisements

Personally I would live in south eastern nc like wilmington, but since you have a business in va I would advise living in camden county, homes can be pricey but sir elizabeth city in my opinion is not that safe of an area. I just moved from their 3 weeks ago. I can tell you that gangs their are picking up badly and all kinds. I would either go to camden county or try going 4 and 1/2 hours south to Wilmington NC.
well good luck friend

P.S. anywhere you go in NC, try putting your kids in private schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM

26 posts, read 73,857 times
Try Camden NC

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,192,696 times
We just moved from Camden to another state but shopped in Elizabeth City. I liked Camden better. JUst depends what you are looking for.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM

144 posts, read 608,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We just moved from Camden to another state
Hey Michiganmom don't you mean you just moved "to" Camden "from" another state?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,498 times
Can anyone comment on why so many homes are for sale in Elizabeth City? I drove down Church street today and there must have been at least 12-15 homes for sale in a 5 block area. Are people fleeing the town?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:01 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,695,111 times
David,
I don't know. But if I wanted to live in a quiet, small river town just over an hour from the Outer Banks, where they still have parades down Main Street, I think some of those homes on Church (and Main) are stunners. The crime consists of some poorly organized immature so-called "gang" people who are basically goofing off amongst themselves, and while all streets are within walking distance for anybody who wants to tear up someone's yard, I just don't think ECity's classic historical homes are any problem to live in.

Now, new suburbs have sprung up out on Weeksville Road, some folks prefer to live over in Riverside somewhere, and an older house even if kept up is hard to maintain, not to mention the cost to buy one. I think you should ask your question in a "Letter to the Editor" on the paper there, see what folks say about all those homes for sale. If you're wanting to buy, a realtor can explain what's going on, too. I used to live a block off Church, my relatives lived a few blocks off Main, and I still have a cousin near where I lived, and like I said, if I wanted to live in a nice small river town not far from the beach, I'd be wanting to live in one of those nice big old homes on Church Street, which that particular street and Main are absolutely stunning in spring because of all the blooming dogwoods and other flowering trees and shrubs along there. But I'm an old-timer... maybe others who post here know what's really going on, if it's not just a normal turnover this time of year.
GG

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 AM

144 posts, read 608,271 times
Hey David and GG--I once asked a realtor in EC why the large turnover in homes (this was back in 2000)? She told me it was because of the USCG base just outside of the town in Weeksville. She said they move in and out frequently causing a large turnover. After living in the area though I think she was only giving me a small part of it. First of all, there are some who live in EC that absolutely love it, but in the surrounding areas EC has a bad reputation. The gangs that GG mentioned may be a little disorganized but they are bad enough that the crime and drug rate in the city is pretty bad. I would venture to say as bad a some major cities with much larger populations. Although there are some beautiful homes there I think people get tired of the attitude there, the pace, and the crime and move out pretty quickly. I know when I lived in Moyock (a couple years ago) we avoided going to EC when we could. Most of the people in Currituck County (a neighboring county directly between EC and Chesapeake) will choose to go to Chesapeake most of the time. Even if it involves paying a toll to go to Chesapeake.
Don't get me wrong, there are some things about EC that I think are really wonderful (did I mention the beautiful southern style homes in the downtown area and the waterfront part of the city), but there is also a hopelessness there that people seem to try to avoid or flee when they get the chance.
There are some that will probably ardently disagree with what I've written and that's okay it's just my opinion, but I do believe there will be many more who will agree than disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina