U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

219 posts, read 789,387 times

Advertisements

To those who have been so helpful with advice and prayers......
Thank you.
We FINALLY settled on our house in NJ.
We hit the road Sunday morning.
We settle in Calabash Wednesday.
Thank you Lord.
See ya'll in North Carolina.
Bye Bye New Jersey.
Thank you Lord.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM

37,062 posts, read 16,148,820 times
Default Congrats!!

Congtatulations.

I'm glad it finally happened.

I was lucky when we decided to put our house on the market.

Been down here in Calabash since end of January. Absolutely love it.

Welcome home.

TQ

Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,344,197 times
Congrats Printman!!!

It was a LONG journey but you guys made it happen!

When you get settled, let us know your thoughts and experiences in Calabash. I'd love some restaurant reviews too!
jj

Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,362,414 times
calabash restaurants in general are all pretty similar. some of the names escape me right now. there is a main strip through town when you are heading south, and you take a left to go towards the water and that is where most the the places to eat are. when heading towards the water, there is a popular place in the left that is always packed at the carry out window. good specials and decent food, if you like calabash seafood. I can stand it like once every few months because it's so heavy! one thing to keep in mind, if you get a fried flounder sandwich in calabash, it comes skin on. I wasn't used to this and it caught me off guard. there is a good place to eat on the corner of the main intersection in town. someone help me out. can't remember the name of the place, but I had a great grilled mahi sandwich there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Congrats Printman!!!

When you get settled, let us know your thoughts and experiences in Calabash. I'd love some restaurant reviews too!
jj

Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Congrats Printman!!!

jj
JJ,
We will have to spend a few days in a motel in Lumberton (closest place that takes dogs) but we will survive just fine.
We have been living out of plastic containers for three weeks so a few more days really doesn't matter.
As for the restaurants.
Rt 17th Chianti South.
Ex NJ trooper (Frankie Lentini). owns it.
Nice place good food.
Can't wait to do Little River Deli on Rt 9 for breakfast.
Disgusting the size of their breakfast sandwiches. But oh baby are they good.
We are two old farts who are scared and happy and excited.
Thank you to my buddy St. Joseph.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,344,197 times
JM- We have eaten at Boundary House, Ella's, Nances and Colemans in Calabash. It is totally fried seafood, totally yummy in limited portions! We waddle away from that at least once a trip.

Our favourite thing to do is head to the docks at 4pm (when the boats come in) and buy the catch of the day or several lbs of shrimp and cook it ourselves. As fresh as it gets and reasonable prices. They sell out pretty fast.
We ate lunch at a place on Main St., new owners (I thnk) but I forget the name and wonder if it is the same place as you ate.
I'll try and find the name of the place.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,362,414 times
I have not bought any fresh seafood in calabash. I am in wilmington, and we have people who sell it here but I think they get it from sneads ferry. you are right though, I like getting that fresh cheap shrimp! I agree with you that the calabash seafood is tasty, but it's more of a once in a while thing! the place I ate at that was good is located right on the corner of main st. and the road with all the restaurants. I want to say that it's a pinkish orangish building. it has a bar in it too. my opinion is that they need to add a few more dining places for people retiring there, although north myrtle is a hop skip and a jump.

Quote:
JM- We have eaten at Boundary House, Ella's, Nances and Colemans in Calabash. It is totally fried seafood, totally yummy in limited portions! We waddle away from that at least once a trip.

Our favourite thing to do is head to the docks at 4pm (when the boats come in) and buy the catch of the day or several lbs of shrimp and cook it ourselves. As fresh as it gets and reasonable prices. They sell out pretty fast.
We ate lunch at a place on Main St., new owners (I thnk) but I forget the name and wonder if it is the same place as you ate.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:

JJ,
Of course it's good if it's fried. Colestoral is what they put in food to make it taste good.
Judy and I plan multiple trips to the docks. We love seafood.
She just can't wait until I cook EVERY night.
Calabashcook has a good point.
We might as well schedule by pass surgery.
Been there ........... done that.
We're gonna leave Monday and found a place in Wilmington that takes dogs so that will make things easier.
Can't wait. Just can't wait.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM

217 posts, read 1,032,361 times
Congratulations and welcome to the area!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina