U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM

700 posts, read 2,943,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I think if you just stay smart, don't be anywhere alone at night, avoid bad areas at all times, you will probably be okay.. just like anywhere else. Crime is also down this year in Wilmington I believe. They just had their first homicide of 2009 and we're already more than halfway into 2009.
Yes......I'll have to give the police department credit. They are doing a much better job of patrolling and getting the criminals off the street quicker than they were. However,there is still far too much gang activity,drugs and crime for a town the size of Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 AM

311 posts, read 812,145 times
okay, how can we get it cleaned up?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
but to say that wilmington has a gang problem is absurd. they have moderate crime, and I agree that theft and drugs are the biggest problems.
Some people would say that having any gangs at all constitutes "a gang problem." I don't agree, but I wouldn't call that an absurd point of view.

To me, a "gang problem" is an escalating or ongoing gang war, which Wilmington does not have. We have moderate, occasional inter-gang violence, which affects people who live in areas of gang activity.

There's no doubt there are some crazy things going on in parts of downtown Wilmington, just like there are crazy things going on all across North and South Carolina. People distributing and using crack or meth, people shooting each other with Chinese-made assault rifles. However, I am very skeptical that such things are going on in Laney or Hoggard High schools, like some posters are implying. They deal with typical suburban high school problems.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,210,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I'm sorry,but if you deny there is a gang problem,you are in denial and living a fantasy. You better wake up,especially if you have children in public schools.
I live on princess place, you live in a gated community behind a wall. I am not the one living in a fantasy world. I am out here, and don't see the games. wilmington's crime is probably 90% petty theft and drugs. you also claimed how safe orlando, your former place of residence, was. I proved that crime in orlando is double what it is in wilmington. by reading all your fear mongering posts, I can only guess that you were personally the victim of crime.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 PM

thefinalsay, you make me feel better about making the move to live downtown. i didn't want to give in to the fear of these posts, so thanks!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
thefinalsay, you make me feel better about making the move to live downtown. i didn't want to give in to the fear of these posts, so thanks!
where downtown are you planning on living? if you live right downtown, it's totally safe. if you are walking around drunk 4am, maybe not. look at the crime stats of wilmington. they're average.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM

700 posts, read 2,943,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I live on princess place, you live in a gated community behind a wall. I am not the one living in a fantasy world. I am out here, and don't see the games. wilmington's crime is probably 90% petty theft and drugs. you also claimed how safe orlando, your former place of residence, was. I proved that crime in orlando is double what it is in wilmington. by reading all your fear mongering posts, I can only guess that you were personally the victim of crime.
I beg your humble pardon.......I have never said Orlando was safer than here. Naturally,it's double because it's twice as big. All I've ever said,is there is too much crime here for a town this size. You always have more crime in larger cities,but don't expect it in a smaller one such as here. Just because we live in a so called gated neighborhood does not mean we're in a fantasy world.... we still have to go out and live our day to day lives. No, thank God I have not been a victim of personal crime as of yet.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM

thefinalsay... s 3rd street and nun. from crime maps, the look of the area, proximity to river, etc etc.. i think we will be just fine, not worried at all. i'm never out at 4am and i don't drink lol. i won't go out at night walking alone either, the husband & dog would be with me if we're out at night! i'm excited to live there for one year, and then i will come on here and tell you how safe our downtown residence was =]

Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I beg your humble pardon.......I have never said Orlando was safer than here. Naturally,it's double because it's twice as big. All I've ever said,is there is too much crime here for a town this size. You always have more crime in larger cities,but don't expect it in a smaller one such as here. Just because we live in a so called gated neighborhood does not mean we're in a fantasy world.... we still have to go out and live our day to day lives. No, thank God I have not been a victim of personal crime as of yet.
I wasn't saying that actual crime was double, I was talking about the crime index, which is an equation based on per 100,000 residents. it has much worse crime per capita. we are 8 months into the year, and we just had our first murder. washington DC has 5 times as many residents as we have, so that must mean they have 5 murders right? but no, they have 100, because violent crime in wilmington isn't that bad. I am totally honest with people on the forums. I tell them the truth about drug problems here, and the job situation. I will try to talk people out of living here unless they have a great job, but not for crime reasons. the crime index in this town is no different than any other town. I also did a little research and found out that hampstead has the worst crime index. imagine that. it's not downtown after all, it's hampstead.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
thefinalsay... s 3rd street and nun. from crime maps, the look of the area, proximity to river, etc etc.. i think we will be just fine, not worried at all. i'm never out at 4am and i don't drink lol. i won't go out at night walking alone either, the husband & dog would be with me if we're out at night! i'm excited to live there for one year, and then i will come on here and tell you how safe our downtown residence was =]
you will be totally fine. I dated a girl that lived at the corner of 3rd and orange with her daughter. she was fine. it's gets a little shady once you get above 5th street that far south though. but, I doubt you will be dodging any bullets on the way to your front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina