U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
 
700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I wasn't saying that actual crime was double, I was talking about the crime index, which is an equation based on per 100,000 residents. it has much worse crime per capita. we are 8 months into the year, and we just had our first murder. washington DC has 5 times as many residents as we have, so that must mean they have 5 murders right? but no, they have 100, because violent crime in wilmington isn't that bad. I am totally honest with people on the forums. I tell them the truth about drug problems here, and the job situation. I will try to talk people out of living here unless they have a great job, but not for crime reasons. the crime index in this town is no different than any other town. I also did a little research and found out that hampstead has the worst crime index. imagine that. it's not downtown after all, it's hampstead.
As I said before,the larger the city,naturally the more crime and we weren't just talking about violent crime such as murder. As for Hampstead.....I don't even consider that a town. It's just a little sprawl a few miles from Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
 
291 posts, read 766,143 times
Reputation: 143
Final Say! Egad - here I am in the crime ridden Hampstead! Give me a break! Where is this crime index of which you speak.... Hampstead isn't even incorporated, so how could they list it with all these statistics?
This is quite the thread to try and scare everyone half to death....This area seems to me to be so safe - lived in Miami a number of years and had to watch for people following me home from the grocery store to rob me...I don't think we've even had a purse snatching at the Food Lion! We've had our home in Hampstead since '96 and I don't know one person whose home has been broken into....Have a lot of friends in Wilmington, and none of them living in total fear either...most of us just being prudent and wise and enjoying our lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,305 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
Final Say! Egad - here I am in the crime ridden Hampstead! Give me a break! Where is this crime index of which you speak.... Hampstead isn't even incorporated, so how could they list it with all these statistics?
This is quite the thread to try and scare everyone half to death....This area seems to me to be so safe - lived in Miami a number of years and had to watch for people following me home from the grocery store to rob me...I don't think we've even had a purse snatching at the Food Lion! We've had our home in Hampstead since '96 and I don't know one person whose home has been broken into....Have a lot of friends in Wilmington, and none of them living in total fear either...most of us just being prudent and wise and enjoying our lives!

if you have read the thread, I have been the one saying crime is not bad. I did a search on crime index by zip code to prove a point to another poster. hampsteads crime index was worse than the zip codes within wilmington. next time read through the thread before you single me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 AM
 
291 posts, read 766,143 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
if you have read the thread, I have been the one saying crime is not bad. I did a search on crime index by zip code to prove a point to another poster. hampsteads crime index was worse than the zip codes within wilmington. next time read through the thread before you single me out.
I "singled you out" because I feel you are posting misinformation. I would like to see the source you used to post this information. I know that the "crime" in Hampstead is nothing like what goes on in certain areas of Wilmington-especially violent crime. We don't even think much about crime in Hampstead - it is pretty much a non-issue for most of us. I felt you cast a shadow on this area that is totally not deserved and not true. And don't assume that I had not read the thread....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Summerville
890 posts, read 3,966,416 times
Reputation: 379
Men tell police of attack by gang after pistol-whipping, shots fired | StarNewsOnline.com | Star News | Wilmington, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,305 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
I "singled you out" because I feel you are posting misinformation. I would like to see the source you used to post this information. I know that the "crime" in Hampstead is nothing like what goes on in certain areas of Wilmington-especially violent crime. We don't even think much about crime in Hampstead - it is pretty much a non-issue for most of us. I felt you cast a shadow on this area that is totally not deserved and not true. And don't assume that I had not read the thread....
use the search feature, either on here, or on google. search crime statistics by zip code. I didn't expect hampstead to be worse than say, forest hills. violent crim in wilmington is worse, but the theft in hampstead is what made the crime index worse. it happens when you have gated communities surrounded by poor people in double wides. if people would look over their privacy fence every now and then, they might notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Wilmington
116 posts, read 375,910 times
Reputation: 60
Yeah I read that this morning, pretty bad eh, I hope the finalsay reads it too, he seems to be in denial about anything like this happening downtown.
You really don't have to be a large town to have this sort of thing happen.
never mind being out drunk at 4 am, I'm too afraid to go down castle street in the daylight and sober, its a shame that a woman can't go shopping in this area for fear of being shot or robbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,305 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Yeah I read that this morning, pretty bad eh, I hope the finalsay reads it too, he seems to be in denial about anything like this happening downtown.
You really don't have to be a large town to have this sort of thing happen.
never mind being out drunk at 4 am, I'm too afraid to go down castle street in the daylight and sober, its a shame that a woman can't go shopping in this area for fear of being shot or robbed.
shocking. a violent crime, and hear were are, just 8 months into the year. meanwhile, in every other city.........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 AM
 
291 posts, read 766,143 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
use the search feature, either on here, or on google. search crime statistics by zip code. I didn't expect hampstead to be worse than say, forest hills. violent crim in wilmington is worse, but the theft in hampstead is what made the crime index worse. it happens when you have gated communities surrounded by poor people in double wides. if people would look over their privacy fence every now and then, they might notice.
finalsay - Again, I ask you to either post or send me in a PM what websites you are using to find this informaiton. I also find it interesting that in the first post where you totally trashed Hampstead by saying we have the worst crime index that you are talking about murder in Washington DC in the same post... Then later you come back and "admit" that this crime index deals with theft(which I still don't believe-I need to see proof of this-I have done as you said, googling crime statistics by zip code and do not find anything that supports your claim.) You continue to "diss" our community by saying that we have "gated communities surrounded by poor people in double wides." Obviously you don't know ANYTHING about Hampstead....where are these gated communities of which you speak? I am wracking my brain this morning trying to think of ONE. I think Pelican Reef has a gate, which maybe they close at night, but it is open all day....same with Pecan Grove....and neither of those are surrounded by "poor people in double wides" and those are only two subdivisions out of many. I think you owe the folks in Hampstead and this forum an apology for posting MISINFORMATION and false generalizations about an area of which you have no knowledge. Hampstead is not perfect, but it is undeserving of the statements you have posted. People look to this forum for factual, true information, particularly if they are considering relocation to this area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 AM
 
700 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Yeah I read that this morning, pretty bad eh, I hope the finalsay reads it too, he seems to be in denial about anything like this happening downtown.
You really don't have to be a large town to have this sort of thing happen.
never mind being out drunk at 4 am, I'm too afraid to go down castle street in the daylight and sober, its a shame that a woman can't go shopping in this area for fear of being shot or robbed.
Yes.....and there is another big article on the front page of the local section of Star News this morning entitled "City,county get anti-gang grant" that I hope finalsay reads as well. If we don't have a serious gang problem,why would we need or receive such a grant? Hello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top