U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times

Advertisements

It's best to be careful at night, some of those alligators are truly large. Also, don't bring your dog, it will become alligator food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 AM

135 posts, read 569,350 times
You can get around to some of the sites without a golf cart. Old Baldy is within walking distance from the ferry drop-off and there are several beach access points facing Oak Island that are accessible as well. I would say that the lighthouse is about a quarter of a mile walk up the road, although it is shorter if you cut through on the sand path.

Last time i went in September we were able to rent a cart around 2/3pm without any qualms. I want to say that it was around $40 for a few hours.

From Wilmington/Southport it isn't a bad daytrip, but you'll have to leave early and plan on driving late to come from the triangle. Be sure to check the Ferry schedule, and factor in traffic time!

Bald Head was originally an island, and one of the first place that early European settlers tried to settle, but series of storms throughout the years has connected the island to the beaches north of it. It is a lovely place, although the trip does get a bit pricey when you add together the ferry, parking for the ferry, golf cart, entry fees for places, and food.

Be sure to take a refillable water bottle!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 AM

77 posts, read 208,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
It's best to be careful at night, some of those alligators are truly large. Also, don't bring your dog, it will become alligator food.
Thanks for the warning!

You know, gitting bit by one of those monsters would not be my idea of a good beach vacation.

And I noticed on one of these real estate sites on the description for vacation rentals, they left out the part about the large reptiles roaming the island and only said:

"Pristine beaches, loggerhead sea turtles, Old Baldy Lighthouse...From natural wonders to rich historical drama, Bald Head Island offers vacationers a distinctive maritime world awaiting discovery."

Not that I alligators would keep me away, but it's nice to be warned.
Thanks Dusty!

And to lgavrich, I'm so sorry about your "scariest night"! I appreciate your advice as well. I can not imagine the horror of driving around the dark in a golf cart lost for 4 hours on an island inhabited by alligators. You poor baby! But,...it sounds like you had a great time afterwards and what an awesome assignment to give yourself! Reviewing the community for your web site and newsletter. Nice. Glad you made it out in one piece.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,179,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
Thanks for the warning!

You know, gitting bit by one of those monsters would not be my idea of a good beach vacation.

And I noticed on one of these real estate sites on the description for vacation rentals, they left out the part about the large reptiles roaming the island and only said:

"Pristine beaches, loggerhead sea turtles, Old Baldy Lighthouse...From natural wonders to rich historical drama, Bald Head Island offers vacationers a distinctive maritime world awaiting discovery."

Not that I alligators would keep me away, but it's nice to be warned.
Thanks Dusty!

And to lgavrich, I'm so sorry about your "scariest night"! I appreciate your advice as well. I can not imagine the horror of driving around the dark in a golf cart lost for 4 hours on an island inhabited by alligators. You poor baby! But,...it sounds like you had a great time afterwards and what an awesome assignment to give yourself! Reviewing the community for your web site and newsletter. Nice. Glad you made it out in one piece.
Alligators are found in Wilmington as well. I have fond memories of looking over into the water on the Battleship North Carolina and seeing them swimming around. They are also found in Frisco on Hatteras Island. But I don't think they are anywhere else.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
^Think they've been found in Beaufort County as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,179,766 times
I would love to see a university study on the alligator in NC. Like I know the Frisco Woods alligators exist, but I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 AM

77 posts, read 208,674 times
I meant to say, getting, not "gitting"

Also, I just googled alligator found on beach because I remember reading about one being found on one of NC's beaches last year. It was on Topsail.

But they had another story about an alligator spotted on Caronlina beach.
just the other day. Yikes! Here's the link.

Thanks for sharing your fond memories with us with them swimming around the Battleship.

I hope I don't ever come in to contact with one of them. But I do hear they taste like chicken. jk. That's a disgusting joke. I don't eat reptiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina