U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM

11 posts, read 44,365 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give any insight to living in some of the areas outside of Greenville like Bath, NC?? How are the schools, communities, etc.? I'm looking for a town near the coast that's good for raising a family and has not become built up with cookie-cutter developments.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM

58 posts, read 203,873 times
you might want to look into somewhere like new bern, or washington or chocowinity. There is NOTHING in bath, nc. You can go through the town in about 3 seconds. Its a old port from back during the colony days. I dunno if bath even has a school, id guess they go to beaufort county schools in either washington or chocowinity or somewhere.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,966 times
Hi. I'm from bath, and it's not as bad as the last person made it sound. There is a school k-8, not to mention that it is a school of distinction and excellence. I went there myself. There is also a highschool about 15 mintues from the elementary/middle school located in Bath. Sure it's a small town but its a nice little neighborhood if thats what you're looking for. A lot of the people are retired but there's also new families as well. It only takes about 20 minutes to get to Washington where there are more stores and such. But there is also a small grocery/gas station in Bath.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 AM

738 posts, read 644,044 times
We have a summer home in Summer Haven (washington) and are looking to buy waterfront property in the Bath area - or any other area for that matter - just so long as it is on the windward side of the Pamlico. My late father-in-law wrote the history of Bath and the gardens there are dedicated to him.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM

159 posts, read 553,649 times
Bath has good schools, especially at the elementary and middle school levels. It is a small, quaint place with a slow pace of life. If you're able to get a place on the water and buy a boat or other watercraft, life can be very good. And tranquil.

Washington picks up the pace a bit, but you can still find quiet havens along the river from the Country Club through Washington Park, Tranters Creek Estates, etc. Schools are fine, but there is greater socioeconomic and racial diversity in Washington, and with it, there are more challenges. Washington is trying hard to develop a tourist industry based on its downtown/waterfront, and seems to be making some headway. I attended a children's play at the Turnage Theater on Main Street this past weekend and it was great! From Bath, you could still enjoy the amenities of Washington easily if you didn't want to live there.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Bath is a one hour town. You can see everything there is to see in one hour or less of walking. Some of the older homes are nice but there is only one place to eat there and if memory serves me correctly, they're closed on Mondays.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 AM

28 posts, read 187,905 times
You might want to consider New Bern NC. One hour from Greenville, good schools, small town atmosphere, river town with 2 rivers and a park on the river(similiar to Greenville's, maybe not quite as big)..lots of different housing choices.
Caution, great place to settle down and raise a family, not much "nightlife" but very active social calendar can be had, if that's what you want..lot's of events, churches, social functions, boating/fishing... ...Quite and peaceful, not much traffic..don't tell everyone.....

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Ray View Post
...Quite and peaceful, not much traffic..don't tell everyone.....
It truely is a shame that New Bern is so far off of the beaten path (I-95). Their historic downtown is great with a lot of good places to eat and no parking meters. Washington is the same way with a great waterfront boardwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina