U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM

331 posts, read 1,202,110 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of reading and the sites I have checked out state that dogs are NOT allowed on the beaches at all during the summer months. Last weekend we went to Kure Beach and there were all sorts of dogs on leashes at the beach.

Does anyone know if the rules have changed or were all those people just breaking the rules?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,912,346 times
Don't know, but at least they were on leashes...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM

32 posts, read 84,701 times
I've been researching this as well and there are several beaches that allow dogs on the beach but on leashes.. I'll look for the site and post it here if I can find it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM

here is the link I was talking about..

Dog friendly beaches, pet friendly beaches United States, dog beaches U.S.A., dog beach USA

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM

85 posts, read 224,666 times
We were on Nags Head a week ago and there were several dogs on the beach - many not on leashes, playing fetch into the ocean. It was fun to watch but I was shocked to see a lot of dog "mess" left on the beach and not cleaned up! I don't so much mind the dogs but sheesh, clean up their mess...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM

331 posts, read 1,202,110 times
thank you! this link is just what i was looking for!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Not a problem! I've been looking into this as I'm bringing home my pup in September.. If anyone can recommend watering holes in the Raleigh area where you can let your dog swim without a leash please let me know!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 AM

700 posts, read 1,675,701 times
Oak Island is a leash free beach as long as you have voice control (HA!). They have poop stations at the beach access points. Love it!

They were trying to decide earlier this year if the off-leash was an issue for residents...I don't recall seeing that the ordinance has changed.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 19,505 times
Here's the actual municipal code for Oak Island - it looks like "leash free" is only applicable from October 15 - March 15:

Sec. 4-46. Unrestrained dogs.
(a) It shall be the duty of the owner of the dog to be responsible for the dog on the premises of the owner. If any dog leaves the premises of the owner without a leash, it shall be deemed to be running at large. If any dog found at large cannot be safely taken up and impounded, any necessary action may be taken by the duly sworn officer. If any dog is found unrestrained, the dog's owner shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Subject to section 4-49, dogs may be on the beach from October 15 to March 15 without a leash under the following conditions:

(1) Dog(s) shall not be left unattended;

(2) Dog(s) must be under visual and voice control at all times;

(3) Do not allow dog(s) to visit with other beach-goers or dogs, unless welcomed;

(4) If a dog consistently exhibits dominant aggression toward other dogs or beach-goers, it must leave the beach immediately;

(5) Owners shall be solely responsible for any injury or damage caused by their dog(s); and

(6) Owners shall properly and promptly remove and dispose of all feces left by their dog(s).

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

422 posts, read 1,233,840 times
Dogs are allowed on the beaches in Cape Hatteras National Seashore as long as they are on a 6ft or shorter leash. Most people are respectful of that rule and I haven't seen any messes left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina