U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 38,993 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this site and so far have found it to have a wealth of information. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on relocating to coastal NC.

Currently I live in Oregon, but am seriously considering moving to North Carolina. As a child, my family and I would vacation in Nags Head and I have nothing but wonderful memories. Now I am 30 and am very interested in relocating to NC. With that said, I was wondering if there were any great year round coastal towns that have job opportunities (I'm an elementary school teacher), that are affordable, safe, not too far from an airport (max 1 hour) and have cultural events.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to vacation there in the immediate future. It would be great if I could get some ideas of where to start doing more research.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,899,817 times
I started looking at Wilmington. Check out Leiland. The prices are not so bad yet. I wanted to go to a coastal town too. Since I've been on this forum I think these guys have long talked me out of it. I even scheduled my vacation in August to Carolina Beach, I'll still take my vacation but now I have to go back to NC twice this summer.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 38,993 times
One of my friends had mentioned Wilmington too. I've sent away for a relocation packet for that area. Haven't heard of Leiland yet...I'll have to check that out. What specifically made you change your mind about living by the coast?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:39 PM

The hurricanes I guess. I was telling the people here on the forum I would just dogde the hurricanes they give you enough warning. They started describing the devastation and the hurricanes and aftermath they have been through, it made me think. I would hate to have my property damaged and it takes a long time sometimes to rebuild. The weather gurus think the next decade or so hurricanes are on an upswing. It's too bad I absolutely love the Ocean. My idea of a vacation is just being at the beach all day. I could sit there for hours and just listen to the waves and I'm in heaven.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM

My Brother and sister in law live in Newport 15 minutes to Atlantic Beach. I think it's very affordable. You being a teacher can probably find work. They want me to move there but I don't know where I'd work there's no corporate there that I saw. The New Bern airport is close less than an hour. Morehead City also and Emerald Isle kinda pricey for that one though.

Oh Leiland is West of Wilmington. That would be my pick if I was moving coastal.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:12 PM

212 posts, read 988,929 times
a1m1700 don't let the hurricanes stop you! I have lived in hurricane alley all my life 39 years and have never evacuated. If they told me a cat 4 or 5 was coming...sure MAYBE but most likely I'd just get my mom and pop down to our place. Weather can get you anywhere, don't give up on the coast because of some high surf,rain,and wind.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Oh maybe I should re-think this again. I'm going to Wilmington in August so I can get an idea then. Boy I've been flip flopping all over the place. I started with Raleigh then Wilmington back to Raleigh then to the Charlotte area now back to Wilmington. I'm driving my husband nuts.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:35 PM

212 posts, read 988,929 times
Why don't you look along I70 around Goldsboro area? got the Neuse river, 2 hours or less from the beach, i 95 access, military (air force) town with attendant industry and diversified population, golf, stock car racing at Southern Nat'l speedway (sort of a nascar prep league). Proximity to Raleigh. Look at the major interstates near that area. Check out towns in Wayne and Johnston counties.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:48 AM

56 posts, read 305,945 times
Hi folks, actually the towns name is spelled Leland (Brunswick County). It is across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington (New Hanover County). Most people who live in Leland work in Wilmington. I lived and worked in Wilmington for quite awhile. Wilmington is a beautiful, historic city. At that time (about 15 years ago) I would not even think about living in Leland. That would have meant I would have to cross over one of the two draw bridges that connect Leland to Wilmington. I thought the traffic then had
been way to much. 15 years later with huge housing developments being
built around Leland, the traffic is ten times worse with the same two draw bridges. There is a plan for a third future bridge, but thats probably going to
happen years from now. Also, this is my opinion, but Leland/Belville/Navassa
area was never a garden spot. Right now, Brunswick County is fighting a huge auto parts landfill that is looking to locate there. The company already owns the property. The only people that want it there is the town of Navassa for the money. (low income area) Schools up in N. Brunswick County area are not so hot. Wilmington is now, according to statistics 25% overpriced, and the traffic now is way to much for me. Besides they are running out of land to build on. Traffic is terrible. Try driving into
or out of Wilmington during rush hour when the draw bridges are up to let a ship pass or when there is an accident on or near the bridge. You will see what I mean. The whole area is going through major growth changes.
Try further south in Brunswick County. S. Brunswick County has better schools. Check out the "Brunswick County thread" there I wrote a few other tidbits. By-the-way, I used to when possible, shoot across the bridge to eat lunch in Leland. There was a good Southern Style restaurant
I can't remember the name right off, but it was on the right past the PigglyWiggly. You might check out the area on your TV. Wth TV shows like
"One Tree Hill", "Dawson's Creek", "Matlock" and the now defunct "Surface".
All of these shows are or were filmed in Brunswick County and New Hanover County. Many major movies are also filmed there. Wilmington sometimes is
known as "Wilmiwood" because of the film studio there. Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:58 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,404,853 times
My cousins went through hell a few years back in Wilmington. They had a condo on the ocean. Operative word is HAD. They are a bit inland now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina