U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 14,232 times

Advertisements

This info has been very helpful and possibly a deal breaker. I was trying to get a quote on BC/BS Ins. as a supplement but couldn't find it. We only pay $35. a mon. in NY and we don't have to pay any taxes on our pension. We watch our 3 yr. old grandson everyday and that is the main reason for the move. We will miss him so. Much to research and think about. Thank you. Any other info will be greatly welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM

700 posts, read 2,944,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygm View Post
Does this mean our pension funds are taxable in NC?
Most Definitely.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM

700 posts, read 2,944,144 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. My son is arriving there tonight and will be looking at some homes to purchase or rent for himself and his family. He is hoping to find a job. It is so depressed up here in upstate NY. He's got an AS degree in HVAC but has worked for vending companies for the past several years. As soon as he is settled, we will be relocating also. We were is the Phoenix area for quite a few years and wished we stayed there. Love the warmer weather. Had enough snow to last the rest of our lives. Thanks again, Any other help would be greatly appreciated.....
Maybe you should think about looking in South Carolina,Georgia,or Florida.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 AM

452 posts, read 2,128,400 times
I am in South Brunswick County, if there is anything specific I can look up or find out for you let me know. I am way too young to know about retirement but I could find out for you.

Leland is growing. It's really coming up. If you should find that SC is more retirement friendly in your specific case, you could look into Little River SC or nearby and you could still move to be less than an hour from the little one. I'd guess tax info about your pension is something that you'll need to find out based on your individual situation but like I said, if there's anything I can look up for you around here I wouldn't mind trying to help.

Are you going to be renting for sure? Short term until you find something to buy, or longterm? Is there anything else you're looking for? etc...

Just to clarify, I'm not in Leland but my inlaws have been around here forever and some of my family works in Wilmington, and they tend to know a lot of people in a lot of fields. So while I cannot promise, there is a good chance at least I might be able to help you find some more info..I'll do my best.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 AM

452 posts, read 2,128,400 times
Oh, as for BC/BS, it's good insurance, but we have recently looked into it to supplement when my husband's job switched him to United Healthcare and took away a lot of benefits, and I can't say it's cheap. We decided not to supplement. In fact last time I looked at rates to see what it would cost us if we had no insurance and wanted to buy coverage, I was distressed. Supplementing wasn't worth it for us, given the deductibles.

Health insurance in general has gone outrageous. I truly don't know how retirees can make it, if they need something more than their employer's retiree benefit.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 14,232 times
BlueLily, Thanks for all the help and info. My son returned this a.m. from Leland and was disappointed that he didn't find a job. He loves the area and found a home he wanted to purchase for his family but with no job and no prospects it's hard to spend the money to transfer. So we are not going anywhere yet. He still wants to relocate there and will keep applying for jobs in his field but????? Do you know anyone who works for CSX railroad? Or any vending machine companies? Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,500,351 times
Quote:
Does this mean our pension funds are taxable in NC?
I am researching retirement areas all the time. There are only a handful of states that do not tax retirement income. NC Taxes all retirement income except Federal and Military Pensions from what I read on that state. Perhaps there were other exclusions or deductions on other pensions, but If there is I don't think it is much. I know I have a Federal Pension and was glad to hear it would be tax free. As another person mentioned NC has alot of taxes, alot more than many people from the Northern USA would ever think. Personal Property tax on your car, home etc, sales taxes, the income taxes. I am not sure if the food in the grocery stores are subjet to taxes. I know several states in the south do tax your grocery bill. If your looking for a state nearby to NC that is more retireee friendly it would be Tenn. There is no income taxes there and many retirees are headed to eastern Tenn. although Im sure you rather be closer to your son. Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
Be careful and check the details. There are rarely absolutes when it come to taxes. Some federal civil and military service pensions are taxable in NC and some income is taxable in Tennessee. Just depends on an individual's personal circumstances.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,330,271 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. My son is arriving there tonight and will be looking at some homes to purchase or rent for himself and his family. He is hoping to find a job. It is so depressed up here in upstate NY. He's got an AS degree in HVAC but has worked for vending companies for the past several years. As soon as he is settled, we will be relocating also. We were is the Phoenix area for quite a few years and wished we stayed there. Love the warmer weather. Had enough snow to last the rest of our lives. Thanks again, Any other help would be greatly appreciated.....
Your son might contact Mike Waldron of Waldron Builders in Saratoga. Mike is always looking for good workers and he is good to his people. If you cannot locate a phone number PM me and I will get it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina