U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,224 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We are retirees from upstate NY. One of my sons is relocating with his family to Leland, NC and we want to be near them. But as retirees, we have so many questions? What is the best Health Ins. to supplement Medicare and what is the cost? How is the cost of car ins.? Is there a personal property tax? Is there a state income tax? Are all the heating systems electric? Where should we look for an apartment with 2+ bed., 2 baths, garage, and all on one floor. And around $900. a month. So many things to consider, would appreciate any help at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times
Reputation: 3808
All areas of the state have a local property tax. Rates vary greatly.

NC also has a state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
Reputation: 835
blue cross blue shield is the big health insurance provider down here. car insurance is going to be roughly the same I would guess. heating systems depend. there are a lot of older homes in the area, so it's all going to be different. I am sure that there are some patio homes in the leland area with garages in that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygm View Post
We are retirees from upstate NY. One of my sons is relocating with his family to Leland, NC and we want to be near them. But as retirees, we have so many questions? What is the best Health Ins. to supplement Medicare and what is the cost? How is the cost of car ins.? Is there a personal property tax? Is there a state income tax? Are all the heating systems electric? Where should we look for an apartment with 2+ bed., 2 baths, garage, and all on one floor. And around $900. a month. So many things to consider, would appreciate any help at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,224 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for the info. My son is arriving there tonight and will be looking at some homes to purchase or rent for himself and his family. He is hoping to find a job. It is so depressed up here in upstate NY. He's got an AS degree in HVAC but has worked for vending companies for the past several years. As soon as he is settled, we will be relocating also. We were is the Phoenix area for quite a few years and wished we stayed there. Love the warmer weather. Had enough snow to last the rest of our lives. Thanks again, Any other help would be greatly appreciated.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 PM
 
61 posts, read 269,688 times
Reputation: 36
What part of upstate are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 AM
 
8 posts, read 14,224 times
Reputation: 10
We currently live in Ballston Lake, NY about 8 miles from Saratoga Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
 
700 posts, read 2,942,186 times
Reputation: 375
Just a word of caution. From what I've seen with my own parents who live in Winston-Salem(we're in Wilmington right over the bridge from Leland) and seen and heard around here,North Carolina is not a retiree friendly state. They tax you to death and you get no breaks. You have to be on the brink of poverty to get any kind of break. We hope to be out of here in a more retiree friendly state by the time we get to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Just a word of caution. From what I've seen with my own parents who live in Winston-Salem(we're in Wilmington right over the bridge from Leland) and seen and heard around here,North Carolina is not a retiree friendly state. They tax you to death and you get no breaks. You have to be on the brink of poverty to get any kind of break. We hope to be out of here in a more retiree friendly state by the time we get to that point.
Some retirement pensions are totally income tax free in NC.

http://www.dornc.com/practitioner/in...06.pdf#page=29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
 
8 posts, read 14,224 times
Reputation: 10
Does this mean our pension funds are taxable in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygm View Post
Does this mean our pension funds are taxable in NC?
Some are and some aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top