Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 AM

185 posts, read 567,445 times

Advertisements

Thank you both for the pictures! I am almost to a point of desperation to have my toes buried in sand and then have it washed away by the warm, salty water!!! I can only imagine how wonderful the warm ocean breeze would feel and smell! The beach/ocean is so therapeutic to the soul and I could definitely use some of that.

When my fiance and I visited the area it was March and the weather was still very cold so we weren't able to fully enjoy the beach. I would love to be able to come back now that it's August! I just keep telling myself that someday I will live near the ocean and that seems to get me through another day (at least for now). But for now, its Raleigh here we come and from what I understand it's only about 2.5 hours from the beach and considering that right now it would take us about 8 hours to get to the beach, I can definitely handle the 2.5 hours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
I tried to post a picture of the azalea festival, but it disappeared! raleigh is probably a good choice if you have to work. lots of jobs in that area. it's not even 2.5 hours. it's like 120 miles from wilmington. it took me just at 2 hours to get from downtown wilmington, to downtown raleigh. there might be an even closer beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Thank you both for the pictures! I am almost to a point of desperation to have my toes buried in sand and then have it washed away by the warm, salty water!!! I can only imagine how wonderful the warm ocean breeze would feel and smell! The beach/ocean is so therapeutic to the soul and I could definitely use some of that.

When my fiance and I visited the area it was March and the weather was still very cold so we weren't able to fully enjoy the beach. I would love to be able to come back now that it's August! I just keep telling myself that someday I will live near the ocean and that seems to get me through another day (at least for now). But for now, its Raleigh here we come and from what I understand it's only about 2.5 hours from the beach and considering that right now it would take us about 8 hours to get to the beach, I can definitely handle the 2.5 hours!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post

Yes.....the beach is wonderful and therapeutic,but downtown Wilmington is not.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM

116 posts, read 533,135 times
A nice perspective on downtown Wilmington:

:-) « Beautifully Broken

Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
good pics beachliving. also a nice pic of fort fisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post

VERY nice pictures and I'm glad you had a nice visit.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 102,133 times
Actually,
The saturday farmer's market has been 'bustling' every time I've been this summer (about every other saturday). I've also gotten some good deals on produce.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-21-2008 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 PM

57 posts, read 274,470 times
Yep nice photos. You should see downtown Wilmington on a bustling Friday night when all you see are Wilmington City Police and puking drunks!!
The downtown bars are out of control serving people who are already drunk, and then after their money is gone and they try to stumble/drive home the police are there to lock them up.
It all has a nice friendly family feel to it-
They will take the money for drinks but they are not responsible about serving them.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 AM

17 posts, read 102,133 times
Quote:
You should see downtown Wilmington on a bustling Friday night when all you see are Wilmington City Police and puking drunks!!
The downtown bars are out of control serving people who are already drunk, and then after their money is gone and they try to stumble/drive home the police are there to lock them up.
I was downtown Friday night, walking by myself.
So by Florida and qaz's estimates, I've already broken three cardinal rules about not going downtown, not going on a bustling Friday night, and not walking by myself. From some of the posts on this site, I'm led to believe that some of you want to live in a bubble.

If anything, there should be more Wilmington Police downtown. I didn't see but 1 on Friday night.

There were 2 carjackings (Holly Tree and South College) early Saturday morning that were nowhere near downtown.

Wilmington has crime just like any other city. Wilmington also has jobs like any other city. Moderator cut: flaming and off topic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-20-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM

57 posts, read 274,470 times
I have lived here 3 years, have been downtown in the evening on friday and saturday nights many times trying to go out for dinner and all I saw were police on every corner and stumbling drunks, which is why I avoid downtown now.
I also have never been asked about joining any so called "private club" that they use for an excuse not to serve military personnel at several bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina