U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 PM

505 posts, read 2,313,910 times

Advertisements

New Bern has very little crime. All the crime you here from there is happening in the ghetto. The crime stays there. I lived in New Bern 15 years and saw no crime at all. So the numbers don't tell the entire story.

The crimes are happening in the projects and in Havelock. Which make the numbers for Craven Co seem worse than they really are.

Greenville = high crime rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 16,509 times
Beffrey2 I agree that most of the problem areas lie in the ghettos but it's not a localized problem. It's not uncommon for nice areas like Trent Woods to get a few B&E's (breaking and entering) a night. I have a few friends that work for the Sheriffs department and several New Bern Police Officers were my instructors during the Police Academy or what NC refers to B.L.E.T. (Basic Law Enforcement Training). Needless to say I get a lot of inside scoop on what goes on. All and all it's still a nice place to live but if I will choosing between the three my choice would be the Wilmington area.

Wilmington=close proximity to area beaches, better schools, better shopping, better real estate investment.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,984 times
Check out Washington-it seems rather up and coming with a great local feel but very welcoming of all newcomers (we've been here 4 months and are lovin it) 35 minutes to Pitt County hospital/Greenville/ECU and I think about the same to New Bern.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 512,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2427 View Post
Beffrey2 I agree that most of the problem areas lie in the ghettos but it's not a localized problem. It's not uncommon for nice areas like Trent Woods to get a few B&E's (breaking and entering) a night. I have a few friends that work for the Sheriffs department and several New Bern Police Officers were my instructors during the Police Academy or what NC refers to B.L.E.T. (Basic Law Enforcement Training). Needless to say I get a lot of inside scoop on what goes on. All and all it's still a nice place to live but if I will choosing between the three my choice would be the Wilmington area.

Wilmington=close proximity to area beaches, better schools, better shopping, better real estate investment.
I lived in New Bern for 5 months this year. I would also add that there really isnt much to do in New Bern once the sun goes down. You have the Sheraton and the Yacht club, but that is about it.

Cute town, nice to visit, a little short on things to do.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 44,913 times
Default greenville area

I think it might be more narrowed to the greenville area, what towns there are less likley to flood, I see alot of elevations of only 4 and 5 feet!! Do they have a problem with yankees anywhere in Pitt county? (I have a heavy long island accent ) I was looking at grimesland and falkland. anything that is 1/2 hr to pitt hosp. (well 45 min if you dont drive like a newyorker.) I see alot of small towns in the rea on the map but no info on them like population, race demographics, taxes ect. Any info just throw it out there!!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM

212 posts, read 989,142 times
Just move to Greenville, it is a busy town, plenty of yankees, johnny rebs, probably space aliens, stay well off the river (the hospital is on the west side, the river is basically around the east side) and you won't have any flood probs. The massive flooding occurred after Floyd...it soaked the whole state. The Tar River couldn't hold the run off and Greenville along with most everywhere else was submerged in spots, other spots were fine. This is an area of flat land and swampy woods. I live 30 minutes West and my road was closed at each end and a house washed away down at the creek. But Floyd was an extreme case, we have never seen the like before and hopefully for at least another 500 years. The small towns are extremely small...Greenville is the only area of any size. The hospital is very well regarded, many folks in my town would rather bleed to death trying to get to Pitt Memorial than be treated locally. If you can get a nursing job there you will live very well here. You will have to drive to find things to do entertainment wise but that is a fact of life in this area. Or you can be like me and just walk the dogs in the woods, hunt, fish, look for arrowheads, all the redneck stuff. Enjoy!

Old 02-10-2007, 09:40 PM

10 posts, read 44,913 times
We will be visiting on the 13-19th in pitt and craven counties wish us luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina