Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 48,074 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to N.C. my hubby and I are both nurses and looking to work only in the following 3 hospitals because of our specialities : new hanover regional in willmington, craven regional in new bern and pitt county memorial in greenville. we are looking for low crime obviously, large property,low chance of flooding or hurricane, 30 min to work, water or real shopping, movies ect. don't want to live in a real busy area with lots of traffic but also don't want the middle of nowhere. we are a plain old white family (don't need info on same sex or racial tensions) with 2 little girls and would like a good area and school for them. I've been researching a lot, but any thing anyone can tell me about areas or those hospitals would be helpful! -long island girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weski2 View Post
Looking to relocate to N.C. my hubby and I are both nurses and looking to work only in the following 3 hospitals because of our specialities : new hanover regional in willmington, craven regional in new bern and pitt county memorial in greenville. we are looking for low crime obviously, large property,low chance of flooding or hurricane, 30 min to work, water or real shopping, movies ect. don't want to live in a real busy area with lots of traffic but also don't want the middle of nowhere. we are a plain old white family (don't need info on same sex or racial tensions) with 2 little girls and would like a good area and school for them. I've been researching a lot, but any thing anyone can tell me about areas or those hospitals would be helpful! -long island girl.

One doesn't move near the coast if one wants a low chance of ever dealing with a hurricane. They sort of go hand in hand.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Agreed. All of those cities are hurricane targets. All of those cities have somewhat high crime; at least higher than the national average. To my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) all of those places are prone to flooding.

I don't have any information on the public schools, but I wouldn't have high expectations. To me, the things that you want seem to be the opposite of the places you're looking.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:40 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
Here's a good way to get the "flavor" of each of the towns-Take a look at their home town newspapers:
Greenville: http://www.reflector.com/
New Bern: http://www.newbernsunjournal.com/
Wilmington: http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/

I am not in the medical profession-But I would guess that Greenville would be your best bet with East Carolina University's Brody School of Medicine: http://www.ecu.edu/med/

Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Here's a good way to get the "flavor" of each of the towns-Take a look at their home town newspapers:
Greenville: http://www.reflector.com/
New Bern: http://www.newbernsunjournal.com/
Wilmington: http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/

I am not in the medical profession-But I would guess that Greenville would be your best bet with East Carolina University's Brody School of Medicine: http://www.ecu.edu/med/
Looking at the local papers is a great suggestion. When I had narrowed it down to where, but before we moved, I got a subscription mailed to me (it isn't always too expensive)....it was a great way to get a feel for a place.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:07 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
Is there any historical information or map for flooding. I wonder if you could check by flood insurance availability.

There is a free Montessori Charter school in Washington. Besides being Montessori, they also teach Suzuki violin to all 250 of their students, starting in first grade.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM

45 posts, read 218,606 times
Default Wilmington

Hi!

I lived in Wilmington (growing up), Greenville(while at ECU and a few years teaching) but have only visited New Bern.

My #1 pick would be Wilmington (where family is!!) because of the beach, downtown area, things to do, and potential for growth. We are trying to find a way back to NC (Raleigh, Wilmington, or greenville).

Greenville is MUCH cheaper than Wilmington so you will be able to get more house ... but it is smaller than Wilm. and doesn't offer as much to do.

We have 2 small children and look forward to getting out of the craziness of Orlando and back into a laid back southern town.

The Greenville area had horrible flooding after Floyd hit in 1999. Some apartments/homes near the Tar river were UNDER water. It was really bad ... called the 500 year flood. People rescued from the rooftops , etc. I taught in Grifton (near Greenville) and were out of school for almost 4 weeks. Half of that town was flooded. Just being through that ... I would not live near the rivers! Besides that one time, I never experienced flooding there!

Wilmington has had flooding after big storms but nothing huge. I personally don't know of anyone that has had trouble but have heard low lying areas in Brunswick county have had flooding. Maybe someone else can offer 1st hand experience?

If there are any specific questions, let me know!!

best of luck!!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
It's hard to believe that there is "high crime" in any of these three cities. You know the view of what constitutes a dangerous area is subjective; my view (living in Atlanta) might downplay crime in a smaller city, where someone else from a rural town might sensationalize it. I totally agree with the person directly above...Wilmington is beautiful and historic; a nice sized city with great beaches and restaurants. Greenville is kind of second rate comparatively, but the university campus saves it from being as bad as it might have been. New Bern is smaller than Greenville but has a lot of history; it was the capital of N.C. for a period of time and has a lot of history associated with it. Wilmington is larger that the others and therefore offers a lot more to do all the way around.

Keep in mind that when someone makes a sweeping statement about crime in a city it's a big red flag...there are a lot of different areas in a city like Wilmington, some with more crime and some with zero crime. The beach communities there are great - Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wrightville Beach, etc...

Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
Here is a fact to remember-Somewhere along the coast of North Carolina is going to feel the affects of a hurricane every year.
Now the question is-What is that affect?
Most often the affect creates zero, zilch, nada damage or adverse situations.
Remember this-It's not the wind it's the flooding. And as a result-Inland usually suffers the most damage when the creeks swell AFTER a storm event.
Insurance companies are not necessarily the best place to go to to find out about flooding. They tend to deal with 100 to 1000 year possibilities and in broad stroke zones.
I can think of direct water front property that will never flood becasue it is elevated 50 feet straight up and I can think of towns 100 miles inland that will flood if you sneeze twice.
Someone was asking about Hurricane Floyd in another thread here. I included the attached picture of the rain event. Although Floyd hit the Wilmington area and moved north-Look where the rain was-Not on the coast.
Anyone that evacuated waited days and weeks to get back due to the flooding created by the rains and subsequent creek/river flooding.
We here along the coast were fine-High and dry.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 17,752 times
weski2--My wife works for New hanover Regional and I can tell you it's an excellent place to work. They're really progressive and have great benefits. She works at the small house and I know on her floor she says that they have a good crew and are really tight--almost family. It's also a Magnet Hospital.

We live in Sneads Ferry right next to Topsail Island. It's a great place to raise a family--good schools and very little crime. The place is currently underdeveloped but located between two major cities, Wilmington and Jacksonville which will satisfy all your shopping needs. It takes my wife 45 minutes to get to work from Sneads Ferry.

Hampstead would be about 30 minutes to Wilmington and is also has nice houses, low crime, and the Pender County School system is a better school system then Onslow.

I lived in New Bern for three years. New Bern is a good 45 minutes from the beach. It's a nice place to live. Crime is kind of high in the downtown area where you have two projects, Green Park and Craven Terrace. The hospital is located downtown. It's an older facility and doesn't have the greatest reputation. In fact, had both of our daughters delivered at Pitt Memorial about 45 min. away. Pitt Memorial is also progressive and has very nice facilities like New Hanover. New Bern doesn't have much shopping. We would drive to Greenville, Jacksonville, or Raleigh to do all our major shopping.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina