U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,360,294 times

Advertisements

from kitty hawk to chesapeake va is just over an hour. it's like 60 miles. that might not be too bad if they could find something in between and be 35 minutes from each place. where I come from, it takes 35 minutes to get ANYWHERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicwife View Post
really?! How far is the VA area from say Kitty hawk? Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

36 posts, read 283,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
from kitty hawk to chesapeake va is just over an hour. it's like 60 miles. that might not be too bad if they could find something in between and be 35 minutes from each place. where I come from, it takes 35 minutes to get ANYWHERE!

hmmm, so maybe the Grandy area?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,360,294 times
I think anywhere along 158 would be ok. I am going to make the assumption that these are drive through towns. not much to them! however, you will be close enough to elizabeth city, and from what I hear, there are a few things in that area. at least it's a larger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicwife View Post
hmmm, so maybe the Grandy area?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think anywhere along 158 would be ok. I am going to make the assumption that these are drive through towns. not much to them! however, you will be close enough to elizabeth city, and from what I hear, there are a few things in that area. at least it's a larger city.

My Dad has checked into accountant jobs there and it would be a considerable pay decrease, so maybe va would be the beast bet.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM

ooops, best bet

Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,233,233 times
I am back from the OBX -- what a busy 3 days -- I got to the area about 2pm on Monday.. I met with a rental agent for a local real estate company and then a private owner from craigslist to look at 3 rentals.. I felt like Goldilocks.. the first rental was HORRIBLE.. it was an old trailer that didn't look safe to live in. The next rental was a bit small and outdated (bathroom with yellow tub and small sink) and wood paneling but was the best choice of the ones I saw in Kill Devil Hills and the last was an apartment that was built under a beach box style house -- not sure if it was legally built as there was no oven in the kitchen, nor could you put one in... Tuesday I had an interview in Kitty Hawk that I thought went well and then the drive to Ocracoke. It was a beautiful day on both Monday and Tuesday -- couldn't have asked for better weather. I had to wait about an hour for the ferry (lots of daytrippers on Tues/Wed I found out from a local) and once I got on the island I went to my interview there -- which I think went well also.. but who really knows. I then saw a 1 bedroom apartment that was above a weekly rental that was nice and larger than expected. They were still in the process of renovating and it comes furnished. I didn't like that there wasn't really any outdoor space -- but then again there is plenty on the beach and on the harbor at the bar :-) Had a nice time w/ some friends around the harbor watching the sunset and then another hour wait for the ferry (locals get a priority sticker which lets them jump the line) Wednesday I headed back north.. There is a Kmart there in KDH area. I am just waiting to hear back re: the interviews. Ocracoke said I would hear something within a week or so and the Kitty Hawk one said it may be a while b/c they had 5 more applicants to interview. I had to do an email response test? and the manager liked my answers and forwarded it to 2 others that he said I would eventually interview with. I applied for a Dare County position that closed today.. Not sure if anything will come out of my venture and both have pros/cons and am a bit undecided if I like one more than the other.. Sorry for this being so long.. just wanted to catch you up with my visit there.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:39 AM

nlblueyes, I'm so glad to hear about your trip. It sounds like a good one. I had an uneasy laugh about your rental escapades. Oh my. How do you feel about living above a weekly rental? My first thought was, oh man. All summer long having people partying underneath you. I have kids, so I guess that just sent me thinking. Thank God for the bar, right?! I'd question the rental without an oven too.

Glad to hear about the Kmart. I know w/ a Wally World & Kmart I can buy for the fam without fear of going broke.

I'd love to hear how your interviews end up. Good luck!!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM

422 posts, read 1,233,233 times
I will definitely keep you posted about the interviews. I have also thought about living above a weekly rental -- but long term rentals are difficult to come by on Ocracoke and I guess it is better to be above them than below them :-) I would only live in the rental w/ no oven if there was no other choice.. all rentals I looked at were $750/month and less.. if you are able to pay closer to $1000/month you will probably get more updates or bigger places than what I was looking at. I have found a few more jobs I will send my resume off to on craigslist. I wish you and your family luck in your search and move.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks! Can't wait to hear about your next update!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM

730 posts, read 1,669,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I will definitely keep you posted about the interviews. I have also thought about living above a weekly rental -- but long term rentals are difficult to come by on Ocracoke and I guess it is better to be above them than below them :-) I would only live in the rental w/ no oven if there was no other choice.. all rentals I looked at were $750/month and less.. if you are able to pay closer to $1000/month you will probably get more updates or bigger places than what I was looking at. I have found a few more jobs I will send my resume off to on craigslist. I wish you and your family luck in your search and move.
Verify that the rent does not go up in the summer. That is common. It can move from a monthly rate to a weekly at the same cost.

I lived therefor 2 years. A beautiful area but you better like it as it is a long drive to a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina