U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 PM

264 posts, read 776,729 times

Advertisements

I live on the Outer Banks and it takes a different person to live here. Jobs are hard to come by, even jobs that pay little. Now having said that I love living here, great schools and being next to the ocean is unreal. If you have employment it's great but many people have moved because of the tough economy. My advice is if you have your own business where you don't have to rely on the local tourism move on down. If you don't have a good job, I'd have second thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 AM

79 posts, read 274,489 times
It's hard to beat the quality of life that we enjoy on the OBX.Low crime,great schools,modern healthcare and great people make this place what it is.There's plenty of affordable homes on the market ,but rentals are becoming harder to find,as some homeowners foreclose and become renters and new residents move to the area.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,038,023 times
Living in the Outer Banks...recommended or not?

Well..... that kinda depends. If you are allergic to the spray from salt water, dislike seafood, detest having to speak to people on the street, hate fishing and look forward to spending at least 4 months snow skiing each year, perhaps there may be better places for you to reside.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,911 times
I have lived here for 4 years now and I have 5 children ranging on age. It is horrible here. The drug probem here is aweful. Easily 70 % of the kids do drugs here. My kids have gone down hill since moving here. They are bored out of there minds so it causes them to get in trouble. Things are expensive here because it is touristy also. Even deals at grocery stores are less here then say an hour up the road. Very little places to shop and only restaurants and bars to go to. Summer is only abotu 4 months and then it is full of tourists all over the place. It is OK. Winter is long depressing and boringgggggg !!!! Very hard to make friends here I have one now after 4 years. WOWWW and most people here think life is just one big party. I would absolutely not recomend moving here unless you have lots and lots of money and don't mind driving an hour and a hlaf to go do things. We are leaving in a few months and I could not be happier. Housing is very expensive as well. Schools are ok but not great. Lots of drugs !!!!! Good luck whoever moves here. You might regret it !!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM

236 posts, read 1,369,624 times
I wondered about the drugs there. Used to stay there all the time and whenever I would go out it felt like the 80's during the crack epidemic. People openly dealing or asking about who has what. Another thing I noticed were all the old nasty lesbians. Figured they came from DC or the northeast. The locals are great but the influx of turds from the rest of the world have made the place undesirable. We go to Emerald Isle these days.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,911 times
ncguy444 Yes the drugs here are the worst of the entire state of NC. The people here are nice yes but that is it. Very clicky, very hard to get people to want to get to know you better and hang out. Another thing I notice here is with couples it seems they do things seperate here more then not. Girls go do there thing and guys go to theirs. Funny almost every house has a deck but no one gets together and had cook outs or get togethers. The people here are very strange to me. And yes lots of lesbians. And if ypu come here single you will have a very hard time finding anyone of any goodness. The poeple here all play games and alot of cheating going on. I guess what more can we expect since there is just nothing really to do here. Beach is great but everyday gets old.... And that is really all there is to do. I personally absolutely detest it here. Ocean or not it is aweful....

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,635,706 times
Yeah it certainly builds character.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM

After a long ,cold winter,the good life has returned on the Outer Banks.The sun is shining,Dogwoods are blooming,fish are biting and people are back in full force,spending money.

Thank you Lord,that I live on one of the greatest places on earth!

I think I'll go fishing.......

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
"Living on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke island as a permenant, year round resident requires a very special person. For this type of person, these islands are pure Heaven. For everyone else it's pure Hell."
OBXfisherman reminded me of the above post I made in this thread a little over two years ago.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
"Living on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke island as a permenant, year round resident requires a very special person. For this type of person, these islands are pure Heaven. For everyone else it's pure Hell."
OBXfisherman reminded me of the above post I made in this thread a little over two years ago.
HI and Ocracoke are a bit too isolated for me to live there on a year around basis,although I do spend a fair amount of time on HI.

The Outer Banks isn't for everyone,but our population continues to grow,in spite of many being forced to move in recent years,due to the slowdown in construction and real estate.I'd say the majority of YR residents bashing the area are facing financial setbacks and have decided that they can no longer afford to live here.

Thing are picking up once again,as home sales improve in the area.The vast majority of construction workers that I know have been very busy since last year with remodels and some new construction,including spec homes.

There's a bright future for our area.It's been steadily growing and there's no signs of it letting up.

Sure,we have our problems,but who doesn't?

The fish are waiting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina