U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM

36 posts, read 283,594 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not driving everyone nuts with all of my recent questions, but I so want to be sure about our move if my husband is offered a job in OBX. I have visited there in the summer & winter and have loved it completely both times...of course, I understand visiting is different from living full time. My question is I don't see many people recommending the Outer Banks when people ask for good places to live near the water (here on the coastal threads). Is there a reason for this or maybe there just aren't many locals on city-data? Any info you would have on local living there would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM

422 posts, read 1,231,954 times
Hi medicwife.. I too am looking into relocating to the Outer Banks.. I will be going down tomorrow for some interviews I have lined up. I am also going to be looking at some long term rentals while I am there. I have found a message board on obxconnection.com... There may be more locals on it, they are also a lot of people who just love the Outer Banks on there also. Good luck on your endeavor to move to the Outer Banks.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 AM

Hi nlblueyes, it is so good to talk to someone who is going through the same motions. It is a little frightening & wonderful all at the same time to move so far away. If you wouldn't mind, would you let me know how you come about with the long term rentals? I talked to a local when I visited in February and he said not to go through an agent because you would pay more. He said to look through the local newspapers.

Thanks for the obx board! I am leaving the house here for a few and now I can't wait to get back to dive into that board!

Good luck to you on your interviews! If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Do you have a family that you will need to consider too? We have 2 children and our daughter is quite excited, and our son is too young to understand.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times
it depends on what you want. jobs will be hard to come by in the OBX. if that is not an issue, then it might be the right decision. it is a quiet area in the off season. that is something else to take into consideration.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Hello medicwife -- I am relocating from Baltimore with just my dog, Chipper. I have found some rentals online with a real estate agency (not a whole lot of choice) and I have found some leads on craigslist.org. I also heard of some long term rentals from a real estate agency that I am interviewing with. The OBX Sentinel (newspaper) has classifieds online and obxconnection has some classifieds (although the same ads have been up for quite some time). If you are looking into Hatteras/Ocracoke, the local paper is the Island Free Press and they have a website. I will be looking at 5 different rentals while I am down there this week -- 3 in Kill Devil Hills (2 with a real estate agency representative and one I found on craigslist) and 2 on Ocracoke (1 I found on craigslist and the other through a contact at a real estate agency). Good luck on your search for both housing and employment. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it depends on what you want. jobs will be hard to come by in the OBX. if that is not an issue, then it might be the right decision. it is a quiet area in the off season. that is something else to take into consideration.
My husband has a possible job offer down there with the county. I stay home with our two children. So it will all hinge on that job. When I was there in Feb. I really loved the quietness of it. I also enjoyed the summer too, but I was in vacation mode then.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
Hello medicwife -- I am relocating from Baltimore with just my dog, Chipper. I have found some rentals online with a real estate agency (not a whole lot of choice) and I have found some leads on craigslist.org. I also heard of some long term rentals from a real estate agency that I am interviewing with. The OBX Sentinel (newspaper) has classifieds online and obxconnection has some classifieds (although the same ads have been up for quite some time). If you are looking into Hatteras/Ocracoke, the local paper is the Island Free Press and they have a website. I will be looking at 5 different rentals while I am down there this week -- 3 in Kill Devil Hills (2 with a real estate agency representative and one I found on craigslist) and 2 on Ocracoke (1 I found on craigslist and the other through a contact at a real estate agency). Good luck on your search for both housing and employment. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

I wish you so much luck on your search. I'd love to hear how the rentals looked to you when you finish your trip. I'm interested in how easy it is (or difficult) to find a rental that will accept pets. I also have a dog & two cats. My daughter had a melt down when we talked about having to find a new home for any of them. I've searched the leads that you have listed and have found some really hopeful rentals, but we are in such limbo now all I can do is research and wait. Hatteras/Ocracoke is pretty remote, isn't it? Not sure it would be a good move for our kids.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:49 PM

I will let you know about the rentals after I return. It can be difficult finding pet friendly rentals but I refuse to give up my dog. I understand the limbo aspect of relocating. I previously moved to an area w/o a job lined up and ended up coming back home. Now, I am trying to line up work first. I am hoping it will all come together. Hatteras/Ocracoke is pretty remote. Ocracoke School is very unique as all the kids walk/bike to school and they all go home for lunch. Last year's graduating class was a total of 5 kids. Good luck to you & your family.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I will let you know about the rentals after I return. It can be difficult finding pet friendly rentals but I refuse to give up my dog. I understand the limbo aspect of relocating. I previously moved to an area w/o a job lined up and ended up coming back home. Now, I am trying to line up work first. I am hoping it will all come together. Hatteras/Ocracoke is pretty remote. Ocracoke School is very unique as all the kids walk/bike to school and they all go home for lunch. Last year's graduating class was a total of 5 kids. Good luck to you & your family.
Ooo, I'd love it if my daughter went to a school like that. She is currently in a montessori school and I'm am dreading trying to find a small school. Oh well, give and take. Can't wait to hear from you and good luck!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:31 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times
having a job offer is a good start. one question you should ask yourself is this. I like vacationing here, but would I like living here? you will have basic shopping and all that good stuff, but you will be far from major shopping and airports. I don't know much about medical care there. I think if you liked how quiet it was in feb, you will most likely enjoy how lively it is during the season. got to make a list of pros and cons I suppose. there are some fun things to do with family there, and if you enjoy water sports, then extra value! I personally might get a bit bored there, but I don't have a family to keep me entertained. I haven't been to the OBX in a couple of years, but maybe they have added more things. my concern for you, coming from another state would be the lack of a major airport nearby, but I suppose you aren't too far from the norfolk/va beach area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicwife View Post
My husband has a possible job offer down there with the county. I stay home with our two children. So it will all hinge on that job. When I was there in Feb. I really loved the quietness of it. I also enjoyed the summer too, but I was in vacation mode then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina