U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,193,654 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Michigan. I get Summer felt it very well. Wat about Fall. When does the temp start to go down a little. What about the bugs outside do they die off as the weather gets colder? Not knowing much about this area is there apples farms and pumpkin farms around. Do people cut their own Christmas trees at Christmas. Fill me in as silly as my questions are it would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,355,686 times
depends where you are on the coast. fall is pretty mild. there are some cold days during the winter, just not snow. I would say that in november, you might need to use your heat during the night. the bugs go away during the winter for the most part. I don't think that there are apple and pumpkin farms here in wilmington, but I could be wrong. christmas trees will most likely be trucked here. there are a lot of pine trees, but they are of the long leaf variety, and that is mostly used for pulpwood to make paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Just moved here from Michigan. I get Summer felt it very well. Wat about Fall. When does the temp start to go down a little. What about the bugs outside do they die off as the weather gets colder? Not knowing much about this area is there apples farms and pumpkin farms around. Do people cut their own Christmas trees at Christmas. Fill me in as silly as my questions are it would be welcome.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,193,654 times
We are in Camden near Elizabeth City close to Virginia.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,355,686 times
it might be a bit cooler up there. a suggestion for you, if you can't find what you are looking for where you are, you might be able to find pumpkin and apple farms in VA. I absolutely love the area of VA you are near, well, if you go west a bit. the area of williamsburg is probably my favorite I have ever been to, and might have some more of the things you are looking for.

Quote:
We are in Camden near Elizabeth City close to Virginia.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times
Quote:
Not knowing much about this area is there apples farms and pumpkin farms around. Do people cut their own Christmas trees at Christmas.
The state's coastal climate is wrong for apples and Christmas tree farming. The best areas for both are located in the Mountain Region of the state.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,937 times
I live way down the coast between Camp Lejeune and Wilmington. As a native New Englander I feel that there is no real winter here. It's like a very long fall followed by a very long spring.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 34,706 times
Could be worse. I just moved here (well, back here, I am from north of Raleigh) from Fort Lauderdale. After 7 years of 9 month summers followed by 3 months of spring, I am looking forward to a winter that is cool but not cold.

The part of winter I always hated in central NC is the ice storms and long stretches of freezing temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina