Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 16,145,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmesun View Post
I hope GOTCHATLC has a good time. Rodanthe/Waves area is my favorite place to vacation, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Rodanthe/Waves is a new favorite for us, as well!

We recently got back from Waves and loved it. The beach is wide, clean, not too crowded - just beautiful. Great for sunning, fishing, surfing, swimming. At night, people were having small bonfires and even some fireworks. A very nice, family oriented atmosphere. Even the traffic is good. We encountered no traffic jams in the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area.

The nearest Food Lion is a bit of a hike, but we got used to it. It is also a bit of a drive to the action of Kitty Hawk/KDH/Nags head areas (approx 35-40 minutes). But we still managed to fit in a couple of day trips to those areas, as well. We also took the ferry to Ocracoke (approx 30 minute drive to the ferry and approx 45 minutes on the ferry - then back). And we spent one rainy day over at Manteo.

I hope the OP enjoys visiting the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area as much as we did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM

39 posts, read 240,362 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip. We seldom go back north once we get there. Sometimes we even go home via Ocracoke. The ferry to Swan Quarter gives us another 2+ hours of sunshine if it's a nice day. If it's raining or ugly on departure day, we just head north through Norfolk.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM

We didn't miss the nothern beaches as much as we thought we would. We went over there mostly to play putt putt and to visit Jockey's Ridge, the Wright brothers museum, pet gallery and a couple of favorite restaurants. Next year we'll probably focus more on the activities closer to Waves. We made it over to Pea Island but never did get to the life saving museum - and that was right down the street from us. Next year we also want to try climbing to the top of a lighthouse or two.

I love the idea of taking the ferry home. We might have to try that sometime!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM

The teenagers in our group like to go to the more populated areas, because they always want something to do. The adults don't mind the isolation as much.

If you take the Swan Quarter ferry, don't forget to make a reservation during busy seasons. The early ferry always fills up first. For you, it may take you out of your way.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM

73 posts, read 186,710 times
Hi there! Yes, my husband and I had a wonderful time thanks to everyone's wonderful posts! We definitely did some sightseeing and layed out on the beach for a short period of time before we decided to leave a day early ahead of Hurricane Hannah. This go around we didn't go over to Ocracoke but maybe another time. The only thing I didn't like was feeling as though, for good shopping and dinner, that we had to drive 30 minutes one way or the other, but I knew this from the earlier posts. We enjoyed the bird sanctuary and actually went to the "alligator" place where there are alligators, bears, etc. Never saw any gators but the guy at the Welcome Center said we probably wouldn't and was very surprised we didn't see any bears. But we were there midday. Again, thank you to everyone!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM

I'm glad you had a great time. I've been to the Outer Banks over 25 times without ever seeing a bear or alligator. Then again, we've never gone looking for them!

We don't mind being away from everything, and usually only eat out once or twice the entire week. Then it's not so bad driving to Avon or Buxton.

I certainly hope you plan another trip for next year!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM

75 posts, read 219,086 times
it's not near as bad as you you are expecting! it's a great area and there are several places to eat within a reasonable distance that, while not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, are perfectly fine imho. there are things to do and places to shop but yes, you may have to drive a little. the Manteo waterfront is not that far from where you are.

if it were me, i'd try a little of NOTHING and enjoy the beauty and the pace of the place. have fun and relax!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 AM

75 posts, read 219,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
it's not near as bad as you you are expecting! it's a great area and there are several places to eat within a reasonable distance that, while not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, are perfectly fine imho. there are things to do and places to shop but yes, you may have to drive a little. the Manteo waterfront is not that far from where you are.

if it were me, i'd try a little of NOTHING and enjoy the beauty and the pace of the place. have fun and relax!
oops, just noticed this post is kinda old... sorry!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTCHATLC View Post
Hi there! Yes, my husband and I had a wonderful time thanks to everyone's wonderful posts! We definitely did some sightseeing and layed out on the beach for a short period of time before we decided to leave a day early ahead of Hurricane Hannah. This go around we didn't go over to Ocracoke but maybe another time. The only thing I didn't like was feeling as though, for good shopping and dinner, that we had to drive 30 minutes one way or the other, but I knew this from the earlier posts. We enjoyed the bird sanctuary and actually went to the "alligator" place where there are alligators, bears, etc. Never saw any gators but the guy at the Welcome Center said we probably wouldn't and was very surprised we didn't see any bears. But we were there midday. Again, thank you to everyone!
We didn't spot any gators or bears either. But, one of our "beach neighbors" actually saw a black bear over at Pea Island. They also saw a waterspout (a little tornado over the water). We were over in Manteo that day and missed it.

I know what you mean about the driving. We did do a lot of driving.
Did you try any of the restaurants close to the Waves/Rodanthe area? We ate at Top Dog, a beach shack that serves "Big Kahuna" burgers. And at Down Under which has a pretty decent "steamer special" of crab legs and spiced shrimp. They also have some of the best hush puppies I've ever had - and I'm not all that into hushpuppies.

For future reference, I'm wondering which pizza place is best.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM

We've always liked Lisa's Pizza in Rodanthe. They deliver, they're good, and not outrageously expensive.

Top Dog is always one of our family favorites. They got new owners a couple years ago, but their steamed shrimp with Old Bay goes great with a cold beverage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina