Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM

73 posts, read 187,905 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are in our 30's and will be traveling from Virginia to a beach house in between Rodanthe and Waves during Labor Day.

From what I understand there aren't many restaurants to choose from in that area and I've been told to get to a decent restaurant I will need to either travel 30 miles north or 30 miles south. Is this the case?

Are there any fun places I should absolutely visit? I thought about going on the ferry to ??? where there is a nice city with shops and horseback riding.

I'm so worried about staying where we are scheduled to stay because I just recently heard of someone else staying in that area and being so very disappointed. (nothing to do) We won't even have a pool at our beach house.

I like to shop (small shops and malls), and I like to eat. My husband and I like seafood, steaks, hamburgers...things like that.

So, here are my questions:

1) Will we need to travel to eat at a decent restaurant?
2) Are there any fun places we should go while we're there?
3) Are there any fun events planned for Labor Day?
4) Where are some good shops?
5) Where are some good places to eat?

Thank you for replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
How long will you be staying and I can cater my recommindations to you but yes you will need to drive up to either Nags Head or down to Avon or Buxton for something decent to eat. All the restaurants and most of the shops are mom and pop type shops which is cute you feel like your staying on island that way in these villages .

Let me know how long you are staying and that way I can recommend things to do in a day , on rainy days so your not wasting to much time driving back and forth instead Ill cater it to go from one place to another in sequence of the way they are on the island.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
How long will you be staying and I can cater my recommindations to you but yes you will need to drive up to either Nags Head or down to Avon or Buxton for something decent to eat. All the restaurants and most of the shops are mom and pop type shops which is cute you feel like your staying on island that way in these villages .

Let me know how long you are staying and that way I can recommend things to do in a day , on rainy days so your not wasting to much time driving back and forth instead Ill cater it to go from one place to another in sequence of the way they are on the island.
Thanks for your post. Do you live in the area? My husband and I (34 years of age and 35 years of age) will be traveling from VA to arrive on August 30th and staying until Sat, Sept 6th. His parents (age 60's) will also be traveling with us on Saturday but will only be staying through Monday. I would like to be able to do some nice things with them and then after they are gone my husband and I are more open to about anything.

I saw there is a place (info is at home and I'm at work so I can't remember) Chicama...Life Saving - where they have a bonfire on the beach and tell stories. We thought about doing that. David and I also thought about going on the ferry over to ?? where there is horseback riding.

I want to go to Sam and Omie's - I love eating there and at Joe's Crab Shack...I think it's called - all you can eat buffet. And I love the custard ice cream shop....YUM!

Thanks for any suggestions as I appreciate them. David's parents have never been to Nags Head I don't believe and I don't want to disappoint them. Luckily, I've stayed in Kitty Hawk before so I know there IS fun stuff to do out there.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Great information for me to work on with the age range of the parties that will be with you so I can recommend things they might enjoy.
I dont live there but have have lived in this state all my life and when I first visited the outer banks I fell in love with the area. It might because I live near Charlotte and I enjoy the serenity that the Outer Banks provides and I love Hatteras Island restrictions on commercial development adding to its essence.

The Outer Banks is narrow strip of land east to west but it is a long commute from one end to the other end heading north or south and I want you to get most out of your vacation without having to back track that much.

The following is going on assumption you are at the point where Highway 64 meets Highway 12 and are heading south on Hwy 12 to go onto Hatteras Island.
The first thing you will get to see is Bodie Lighthouse. Feel free to check it out and its historical innkeepers building. The Bodie Island Lighthouse, Hatteras Island - National Park Service - Cape Hatteras National Seashore - Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island and Ocracoke Island Lighthouses

Next you will cross this huge big bridge going over Oregon Inlet and once you reach the bottom of the bridge there will be a little road to your left I would suggest taking. You will see from higway 12 that this road takes you to abandon I guess coast guard station. I havent studied history of it but it amazing checking out how much of it buried under sand. It no more than around 1000 ft from highway 12. Highway 12 use to run by it before a hurricane destroyed the road.

After you check in to where you are staying the beauty about the outer banks you can just relax with your family and enjoy the peace for the evening but make sure you guys go to the sound side an hour before sunset and just watch.

Here some photos I took.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...s/22816c02.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...s/DSCN0138.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...DSCN0838-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...s/DSCN0082.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...s/DSCN0872.jpg

The next morning I would recommend going to Ocracoke and I would recommend get an early start so you will have a less crowd at the ferry station and fit everything in.

You will pass some things to check out but probably will be closed so go down to Buxton and as soon as you go around the curve on the right is a place called Orange Blossum . (It across from a mini putt putt)
They have homemade bagels, breakfast sandwiches, chocolate frosted donuts,
The apple uglies are delicious but sell out early.

Next go down to Cape Hatteras to board the ferry. When you go through Frisco watch to the left and you will see an alien ship sitting right beside the road.

I have not road the ferry during peak season but hopefully your wait will not be to long to board. It is Free and here is the schedules. NCDOT Ferry Division: Ferry Routes - Hatteras / Ocracoke (http://www.ncdot.org/transit/ferry/routes/schedule/route003.html - broken link)

The ferry ride takes about an hour and you do have option once the ferry is moving to exit your car and walk around the ferry.

Once you exit the ferry the first 3/4 of Ocracoke island is nothing but sand dunes seperating you from the ocean . Feel free at anytime to get out of the car and look if you want. I really dont have any recommindations for Ocracoke except the lighthouse because the cuteness of Ocracoke speaks for itself.

On the way back stop in frisco if you want to go horseback riding
Equine Adventures
(252) 995-4897. Frisco.
Explore Hatteras Island from Horseback. Enjoy a 2 hour guided tour through the Maritime Forest out to the pristine beaches of Hatteras Island. Open year round. Reservations required. Don't miss this opportunity to see the Outer Banks from a different perspective.
Website
Next stop the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse near Buxton.
Cute historical property and shop

Next stop Avon.
Between Buxton and Avon you will reach a narrow area that there is no development Once you reach Avon look for the Food Lion on the left and in that shopping center is a store called "Try My Nuts" They have all varietys of cook nuts to eat.

Next just relax and enjoy each other on the beach. I would recommend beach chairs because of the drifting sand can get annoying. Let me put it this way I put sun oil on laid my towel on the sand and in no time I look like a peanut log ... LMAO

Dont forget the sunset!

The day of departure you might want to take both cars because there things to see on the trip back up for them and eliminate unneccsary trip back to get a car

It might require alot of walking but there is a bird refugg called Pea Island that you can observe coastal wildlife and birds http://www.fws.gov/peaisland/

Kitty Hawk the Wright Brothers Museum then drive up to Corolla there some real cute shops in this area and if your lucky to find parking stop at the Currituck Banks Estuary. North Carolina Reserve
When visiting Currituck Banks, take the 1/3 mile boardwalk which begins at the parking lot and leads to a view of Currituck Sound. A 1.5 mile primitive trail departs from the boardwalk and heads north through a maritime forest.

They have left.

Enjoy doing whatever you feel like doing . The place is great to be just lazy at.
Bring a book and enjoy each other but if you get an adventurous feel free to try some of the sports out there
Windsurfing
Kiteboarding
Hang gliding
The store Kitty Hawk Kites has a store in nearby Waves and Waves is popular with the surfers and kiteboarders.
In case you guys want to do that I am in same age bracket and I wanted to do those things but my partner doesnt like there feet leaving the ground.

I was thinking now you might want to hold off on Pea Island and save it for the both of you and try a kayak tour of the island

You would have past many things to see when your riding around the folks that you might wanted to check out while you was there but this area has a relaxing feel that you just want to enjoy the beach and the seclusion from hussle and bussle that we normally deal with in life.

I didnt mention restaurants due to the first part was on a time frame but the way we did it just cross our fingers hope for the best .. lmao

The prices at seafood restaurants I thought was steep so keep that in mind if you plan to eat out alot.
If you are cooking in the home I recommend buying as much non perishable items before you leave and do not go to grocery stores at obx on the weekend. The crowd is insane.

Here is a restaurant guide to what each restaurant serves and customer reviews Outer Banks Restaurants - Outer Banks Restaurants Guide (http://www.obxconnection.com/outer-banks-restaurants.htm - broken link)

activity guide OBX Connection | Outer Banks Things To Do (http://www.obxconnection.com/todo.asp - broken link)
Outer Banks - What to See & Do

Have fun and if rains go to the museum or read a good book

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-18-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM

I cannot thank you enough on ALL of the information you provided. I am so looking forward to my trip. I am going to digest some of the information and I hope you don't mind if I leave another post with questions at some point. Hopefully, you'll know to look, I guess? Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

I and others who are familiar dont mind answering that is what we are here for

Today I found my first thread on city data dated back in March of 2007 and I had curious questions about the Outer Banks but no one replied to my thread .

It a unique coastal area and now I want to share it best I can.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Sunnykayak has provided a great list of things to do (worth saving for future reference). We visit the Outer Banks every year and love it.

After a day swimming in the ocean-

We enjoy driving over to Jimmy's Seafood buffet in Kitty Hawk and getting one of their steamer buckets (recommend crab leg/shrimp bucket, clamb bake style). We bring it back to our beach house, heat it up, open a bottle of wine and have a feast. Then, afterwards, we take a nice long walk on the beach. Or just sit on the deck, relax and listen to some music.

We also enjoy hiking the trails in the nature preserves, fishing in the surf and of course hunting for seashells (Hatteras has the best!). Look into renting a wave runner - those are great.

Or we drive over to Mantua and take a boat "Dolphin Tour," visit the Aquarium or the museum.

If you decide to take the ferry over to Occacroke - do leave early. It is a bit of a hike to get there even from where your staying.

Hope you all have a great time!

Last edited by springfieldva; 08-21-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Thanks

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR posts! We are leaving tomorrow! Yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sunnykayak has provided a great list of things to do (worth saving for future reference). We visit the Outer Banks every year and love it.

After a day swimming in the ocean-

We enjoy driving over to Jimmy's Seafood buffet in Kitty Hawk and getting one of their steamer buckets (recommend crab leg/shrimp bucket, clamb bake style). We bring it back to our beach house, heat it up, open a bottle of wine and have a feast. Then, afterwards, we take a nice long walk on the beach. Or just sit on the deck, relax and listen to some music.

We also enjoy hiking the trails in the nature preserves, fishing in the surf and of course hunting for seashells (Hatteras has the best!). Look into renting a wave runner - those are great.

Or we drive over to Mantua and take a boat "Dolphin Tour," visit the Aquarium or the museum.

If you decide to take the ferry over to Occacroke - do leave early. It is a bit of a hike to get there even from where your staying.

Hope you all have a great time!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTCHATLC View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR posts! We are leaving tomorrow! Yippee!

have a safe trip .
the most important thing for you to do is enjoy the company you are with

feel free to share how your trip went when you get back.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 PM

39 posts, read 241,752 times
I hope GOTCHATLC has a good time. Rodanthe/Waves area is my favorite place to vacation, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina