Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

bluedevilduke,
Maybe I'm psychic, but something tells me you were at the Duke Marine Lab there on Pivers island!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM

61 posts, read 224,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
gailtoo,
Most of our buyers come from out of the area, it's a second or retirement home and they are at least 1 year out from buying.
Just let me know how I can help.
Bill
PS: I bet your private message inbox is full by now!!
Thanks Bill & BlueDevilDuke!

Your help is much appreciated. I wish I could tap my heels and be there now. I'm really looking forward to our trip.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM

79 posts, read 313,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Are you saying folks who don't live there think the hurricane/flooding situation is worse than it actually is?

Yes!!! I am always amazed at the expert advice that is coming from folks who have either A) Never lived on the NC coast or B) Did so briefly.

No two hurricanes are alike. Each one is unique in of itself. Ex: It is quite possible that a strong hurricane can cause less damage than a weaker hurricane. Flooding may or may not be an issue, etc.
There are so many variables.
But many people speak of hurricanes as if they were a Constant-Like each one is like the other.
They are not.
They also speak as if all areas will be affected universally by the wind and water.
They will not.
Let's use Beaufort as an example. It has every flood zone designation there is. So the potential of somewhere in Beaufort getting flooded during a severe storm event is pretty great.
But we know where these areas are and know it will more than likely happen.

Please remember this-There are more inland deaths due to storm related flooding than coastal. And I can't think of how many times that we here on the coast have gotten past a storm while 10-50-100 miles inland continues to suffer for weeks afterwards.

Someone here at CD posted a site that showed a photoshopped example of where the water levels would be in downtown Morehead City and Beaufort during different category of storms. At Cat 1 it was shown at "X" level. Cat 2 at "XY" level. Cat 3 at "XYZ" level and so on. One of the great fallacies of this photoshopped scare tactic was that they assumed that winds always blew water in. Sometimes the wind blows water out!!!! I have been left high and dry by more than one hurricane.
I can spend all day on the subject of hurricanes, but I'll leave you with this. Hurricanes are serious business-Never to be taken lightly. They do have the potential for tremendous damage. But news accounts generlly show the worst and web site posters have a tendecy to do likewise.
When it comes to real estate-It is easily determined what flood zone designation a property is in, the elevation, proximity to water and what type of soils are present. All four or a combination there of, are the most important elements in determing floodability.
I could not agree with this more. I've lost count of how many hurricanes I've been through now in coastal NC (all of them since '81! haha!) and I can say that no two have been the same. It's always a surprise to find out exactly what kind of punch each one is packing. You just have to be smart and be prepared The news media is just looking for its next circus so you can never completely believe what you see on TV about hurricane damage.

Last edited by eadams2; 09-02-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina