Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM

61 posts, read 224,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're planning a vacation in Beaufort in Feb with an eye toward buying a home and relocating there. Could anyone answer these questions for us? We have never been there before, but it looks like a place we'd enjoy.

1) How does heat and humidity feel in the summer? I'm not asking for temperatures or humidity readings because I can look that info up - what I'm asking for is what it feels like, i.e,, does it feel hot and muggy and miserable or hot, but comfortably breezy, etc.?

2) How bad are mosquitoes and other biting insects in the summer? Are they out only during the night or are they also out during part of the day?

3) Are there flooding concerns?

4) Are dogs allowed in most neighborhoods? We have three.

5) Are people at least fairly accepting of new transplants?

6) Any special concerns you could tell us about?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions, but this is a good start.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
My wife and I just got back from a vacation in the Beaufort area. We absolutely loved it. I can almost assure you that you will make the decision to stay there,but of course we don't know everything about the place. The whole town had a very Norman Rockwell feel to it,and the homes and landscape were beautiful IMO. We're going back next year.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
1) How does heat and humidity feel in the summer?
When humidity outpaces temperature-It can feel like you are taking a sauna. Is it every day? No. Right now is the greatest potential for it.

2) How bad are mosquitoes and other biting insects in the summer?
Depends-I have had waterfront/marsh property and wasn't bothered by them at all. But mosquitoes can be a problem Beaufort on east.

Again-It all depends. But all areas have a flood zone designation which determines elevation and flood potential. Flood zone designations can change within a matter of feet. For example-I can throw a baseball from my yard in four different directions and it will land in 3 different flood zones.

Yes.

Yes. The common misnomer is that where you are from matters-It's who you are that matters.

Yes-Don't believe a lot of what you read/hear at web sites about hurricanes & flooding. The posts I see are usually made by folks who don't live here and have not had any real or extended experience with either.

Beaufort and all of Carteret County is a wonderful place. I've been here for almost 30 years. It's Shangri-la for me-But it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
1) How does heat and humidity feel in the summer?
When humidity outpaces temperature-It can feel like you are taking a sauna. Is it every day? No. Right now is the greatest potential for it.

2) How bad are mosquitoes and other biting insects in the summer?
Depends-I have had waterfront/marsh property and wasn't bothered by them at all. But mosquitoes can be a problem Beaufort on east.

Again-It all depends. But all areas have a flood zone designation which determines elevation and flood potential. Flood zone designations can change within a matter of feet. For example-I can throw a baseball from my yard in four different directions and it will land in 3 different flood zones.

Yes.

Yes. The common misnomer is that where you are from matters-It's who you are that matters.

Yes-Don't believe a lot of what you read/hear at web sites about hurricanes & flooding. The posts I see are usually made by folks who don't live here and have not had any real or extended experience with either.

Beaufort and all of Carteret County is a wonderful place. I've been here for almost 30 years. It's Shangri-la for me-But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Hello Bill & Allen,

Thanks so much for your replies! They really help. I can't wait until we visit this area. I hope we fall in love with it because I'm ready for a change.

Bill - I've seen you posting at other threads on this forum. Could you please tell me how long you've been selling real estate in this area?

Could you expound a bit on your answer to my question #6. Are you saying folks who don't live there think the hurricane/flooding situation is worse than it actually is?

Are the mosquitoes during the night only or are they also a problem during the day? Do you know if the town of Beaufort is sprayed for mosquitoes?

Many thanks again!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Oops - one more question. How bad are homeowners' insurance rates in this area with or without flood insurance required?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Could you please tell me how long you've been selling real estate in this area?

I started off in 1996 buying and selling properties on my own, shed my former profession (I owned a television/film/video production company), got licensed and then in 2005 created and opened my own agency.

Are you saying folks who don't live there think the hurricane/flooding situation is worse than it actually is?

Yes!!! I am always amazed at the expert advice that is coming from folks who have either A) Never lived on the NC coast or B) Did so briefly.

No two hurricanes are alike. Each one is unique in of itself. Ex: It is quite possible that a strong hurricane can cause less damage than a weaker hurricane. Flooding may or may not be an issue, etc.
There are so many variables.
But many people speak of hurricanes as if they were a Constant-Like each one is like the other.
They are not.
They also speak as if all areas will be affected universally by the wind and water.
They will not.
Let's use Beaufort as an example. It has every flood zone designation there is. So the potential of somewhere in Beaufort getting flooded during a severe storm event is pretty great.
But we know where these areas are and know it will more than likely happen.

Please remember this-There are more inland deaths due to storm related flooding than coastal. And I can't think of how many times that we here on the coast have gotten past a storm while 10-50-100 miles inland continues to suffer for weeks afterwards.

Someone here at CD posted a site that showed a photoshopped example of where the water levels would be in downtown Morehead City and Beaufort during different category of storms. At Cat 1 it was shown at "X" level. Cat 2 at "XY" level. Cat 3 at "XYZ" level and so on. One of the great fallacies of this photoshopped scare tactic was that they assumed that winds always blew water in. Sometimes the wind blows water out!!!! I have been left high and dry by more than one hurricane.
I can spend all day on the subject of hurricanes, but I'll leave you with this. Hurricanes are serious business-Never to be taken lightly. They do have the potential for tremendous damage. But news accounts generlly show the worst and web site posters have a tendecy to do likewise.
When it comes to real estate-It is easily determined what flood zone designation a property is in, the elevation, proximity to water and what type of soils are present. All four or a combination there of, are the most important elements in determing floodability.

Are the mosquitoes during the night only or are they also a problem during the day? Do you know if the town of Beaufort is sprayed for mosquitoes?

Mosquitoes as a general rule are not a day to day problem. In some areas during particular times of the year it will be. The mosquito has been dubbed the "Harkers Island National Bird".
The only time I am aware of mosquitoes being a problem county wide is when we have had unusally high amounts of rain after an unusually long period of dry. Mosquito eggs can lay dormant for years. And if we have a lot of water after a few years of dry-Presto!!! Instant mosquitoes.

The county will spray for mosquitos. And they will spray until the situation is under control.
But I can't stress enough-On a day to day basis, mosquitoes for the most part are not a problem.

Look at it this way in regards to heat, humidity, mosquitoes and hurricanes. Coastal NC combines the best of what Florida and New England have to offer.

Hope this helps. I could write a book on the subject but have attempted to keep it brief-which usually means I write cryptically. Let me know if I need to clarify.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 08-26-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Our first summer in Beaufort we found uncomfortable. Weren't used to the humidity. The next 4 summers got more comfortable. We adjusted. Spending time in a boat or swimming is great in the summer. Summer nights are almost tropical and so wonderful for porch or deck-sitting.

The severity of biting bugs depends on how much rain we've had and which way the wind blows. And IF it's blowing. I've been down on Front Street by the water when there was no wind, and at dusk, the no-see-ums were nasty. But this is rare because there's usually a nice on-shore breeze that keeps them at bay. Mosquitoes. also, are not a problem with an on-shore breeze.

If you live on a marsh, expect more biting bugs. We live mile from the water, not on a marsh, and the mosquitoes are a mild annoyance. I spray myself at dusk if I'm gardening.

People here are VERY welcoming and you'll easily make friends, I expect. People have re-located from all over. Just be genuine and not prattle on about how you did it back home and you'll be socially happy. Volunteering for one of our organizations is a great way to meet nice folks. Church is another way. But if you're not a church-goer, that's fine too. No one will force their church down your throat.

Dogs? Oh my, yes--everywhere--the nicest dogs, too. This is a big dog town.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Our first summer in Beaufort we found uncomfortable. Weren't used to the humidity. The next 4 summers got more comfortable. We adjusted. Spending time in a boat or swimming is great in the summer. Summer nights are almost tropical and so wonderful for porch or deck-sitting.

The severity of biting bugs depends on how much rain we've had and which way the wind blows. And IF it's blowing. I've been down on Front Street by the water when there was no wind, and at dusk, the no-see-ums were nasty. But this is rare because there's usually a nice on-shore breeze that keeps them at bay. Mosquitoes. also, are not a problem with an on-shore breeze.

If you live on a marsh, expect more biting bugs. We live mile from the water, not on a marsh, and the mosquitoes are a mild annoyance. I spray myself at dusk if I'm gardening.

People here are VERY welcoming and you'll easily make friends, I expect. People have re-located from all over. Just be genuine and not prattle on about how you did it back home and you'll be socially happy. Volunteering for one of our organizations is a great way to meet nice folks. Church is another way. But if you're not a church-goer, that's fine too. No one will force their church down your throat.

Dogs? Oh my, yes--everywhere--the nicest dogs, too. This is a big dog town.

Hello Bill & LittleDolphin,

Thanks so much for all the time you've taken. I appreciate your helpful answers very much. I told dh what people are saying about Beaufort and he's getting more excited about our trip. It sounds wonderful there and he loves fishing. We have mosquitoes here at night, too, and year round, so I don't know why I made such an issue of it. We just don't go walking or sit out at night and keep our screens in good repair. Sitting in a screened porch at night in the summer sounds wonderful, LittleDolphin - I know a screened porch will be something we'll want. As for heat & humidity, we can just head north for a few weeks if we can't take it. That's good news about the friendliness of people and that our three dogs will not make us unwelcome. That leaves only the hurricanes and flooding as our main concern and actually seeing the town will surely help us with that.

Bill - I will contact you before our trip to see if you can set aside some time to show us a house or two - provided you don't mind that we'll only be window shopping for now. We probably won't be able to make our move until 2010. I wish we could do all of this much sooner, but it just won't work that way for us.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM

gailtoo,
Most of our buyers come from out of the area, it's a second or retirement home and they are at least 1 year out from buying.
Just let me know how I can help.
Bill
PS: I bet your private message inbox is full by now!!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 31,676 times
I lived in the area in 2006 and loved it. Yet with everything there are changes. Good luck

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-27-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: solicitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina