U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM

214 posts, read 737,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I would not suggest Wilmington, or southport for that matter. south port is a bit too pricey. I think that there are several small towns near the beach up along the crystal coast. there are a couple of great real estate agents on these forums that specialize in that area. I don't know too much about bath, NC, or washington, NC, but those are small towns near the water. new bern might another to consider. not too big, but big enough to provide some entertainment.
Actually I beg to differ with jmarquise, regarding Southport. Our pricing is a reflection of what the market will bear, and there are wonderful opportunities throughout Brunswick County and Southport. Our taxes are very low, and they have forecasted the Leland area to surpass Wilmington for future growth. Brunswick County is the only county in the state of NC to see an increase in sales, so I guess there is a reason for this, otherwise folks wouldn't be relocating here. Due to the interest in Brunswick County, we are seeing our property values remain steady in this very unpredictable time.
This is truly a Buyers Market, for those qualified, and we may never see such a market like this again. Once the inventory that is clogging the market moves, it will return to a Sellers market.
You really should do yourselves a big favor, and while visiting, explore the Brunswick area, and enlist the services of a Realtor. As jmarquise has stated there are many on this forum who are very knowledgeable of the market, and please keep in mind all "markets are local".
Only those who are Realtors can give you the true picture based on information and statistics, and many of us have weathered markets like this in the past, albeit, not as severe, but it will improve.
Real Estate is and will continue to be the best investment for long term wealth, especially coastal areas. We just have to be patient and pray that our new administration will guide us through these rough seas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,240,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Actually I beg to differ with jmarquise, regarding Southport. Our pricing is a reflection of what the market will bear, and there are wonderful opportunities throughout Brunswick County and Southport. Our taxes are very low, and they have forecasted the Leland area to surpass Wilmington for future growth. Brunswick County is the only county in the state of NC to see an increase in sales, so I guess there is a reason for this, otherwise folks wouldn't be relocating here. Due to the interest in Brunswick County, we are seeing our property values remain steady in this very unpredictable time.
I think if the state ever builds a major bridge over the Cape Fear, I expect the part of Brunswick you're talking about will become much more desirable.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
I was actually thinking more along the lines of the town of southport. living in the town is, and actually always has been pricey. it's nothing new. I agree that there are affordable buys in the surrounding areas. I also agree with the low taxes, and being someone who lives in the city of wilmington, I can appreciate it! property values are stable, but I think that there is still a large inventory. NC didn't see the unrealistic bubble that many other states did. I have personally just always been a bigger fan of pender county than brunswick, but that might have to do with the fact that I did so much work in brunswick. seashellbelle, if you notice a property corner that is off by half a foot, don't come looking for me! I don't work there anymore!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
This is truly a Buyers Market, for those qualified, and we may never see such a market like this again. Once the inventory that is clogging the market moves, it will return to a Sellers market.
You really should do yourselves a big favor, and while visiting, explore the Brunswick area, and enlist the services of a Realtor. As jmarquise has stated there are many on this forum who are very knowledgeable of the market, and please keep in mind all "markets are local".
Only those who are Realtors can give you the true picture based on information and statistics, and many of us have weathered markets like this in the past, albeit, not as severe, but it will improve.
Real Estate is and will continue to be the best investment for long term wealth, especially coastal areas. We just have to be patient and pray that our new administration will guide us through these rough seas.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
You might want to stay away from Greenville. The crime rate there is fairly high, about twice the national average. The local news rarely goes more than a day without mentioning a violent crime in Greenville. I'm not trying to scare you, but it is worth mentioning.
What towns around Greenville would be safer/nice to live in? I assume commuting and working in Greenville is probably common if the crime rate is high but the Hospital system is quite large.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 AM

232 posts, read 691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
What towns around Greenville would be safer/nice to live in? I assume commuting and working in Greenville is probably common if the crime rate is high but the Hospital system is quite large.
Winterville might be worth looking at. Lower crime rate, but fairly close to Greenville. To be fair, I don't get up to Greenville that often and so based my original post on crime stats and regional news coverage from WCTI in New Bern. I guess it all depends on what you are used to and comfortable with. Perhaps someone who actually lives in Greenville can comment on where the "bad" spots in Greenville are.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 844 times
I am looking to relocate to Charlotte, NC in the near future. Can anyone give me the 411on Charlotte.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM

35 posts, read 65,259 times
Hi,

My husband and I have been looking to buy land or a house in New Bern to retire into. We're from Boston MA. I haven't been to the Riverside area. Where exactly is located? We are coming down to visit again at the end of May and would like to ride through there. Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina