U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 40,119 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Wilmington in the summer of 2009 from Oregon due to my husband's job transfer. We have an 8 year-old daughter. I am trying to learn as much about the Wilmington Area as I can.
From reading the forum and considering the Wilmington crime rate, we are leaning towards living in Hampstead. Is a regular commute to the Wilmington Airport within reason? How long does it approximately take?
How are the schools in Hampstead and Wilmington? I am an elementary school teacher myself. I already checked the greatschools website.
Is Hampstead safer than Wilmington, considering murders and rapes? Is it safe to live in Wilmington (near Hoggard High School) if you stay away from downtown?
How is the drinking water quality? How is the air quality? I am looking forward to moving away from a stinky papermill, however, I am not excited about moving close to a coal fired power plant.
Can anybody recommend some honest real estate agents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,937 times
You could commute from Hampstead to the airport fairly easily, maybe 20-25 minutes.

There's not much crime that I know of in Hampstead (certainly no murders and rapes), and the Topsail district schools are supposed to be good, or so I hear.

The air quality is good, if you don't mind high humidity. Water quality isn't so great if you have a well. My water is irony and I need a water softener. I think some parts of Hampstead have municipal water now so maybe the quality of that is better.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM

218 posts, read 428,239 times
Default i vote for Hampstead

Hi
I am a mail carrier for Hampstead. Hope this helps.
Hampstead is laid back. not to much happening here, It is alot safer than Wilmington. The only thing you have to fear here is the mosquito's. I recommed Jerry Summers with coldwell banker for help with real estate, He is trying to sell my restaurant for me. his # is 910-352-8633.
The school is suppose to be good. The people are very nice or at least where I deliver to. You will be about 15 minutes from the beach. Surf City which is not as crowed as Wilmington. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandang View Post
We will be relocating to Wilmington in the summer of 2009 from Oregon due to my husband's job transfer. We have an 8 year-old daughter. I am trying to learn as much about the Wilmington Area as I can.
From reading the forum and considering the Wilmington crime rate, we are leaning towards living in Hampstead. Is a regular commute to the Wilmington Airport within reason? How long does it approximately take?
How are the schools in Hampstead and Wilmington? I am an elementary school teacher myself. I already checked the greatschools website.
Is Hampstead safer than Wilmington, considering murders and rapes? Is it safe to live in Wilmington (near Hoggard High School) if you stay away from downtown?
How is the drinking water quality? How is the air quality? I am looking forward to moving away from a stinky papermill, however, I am not excited about moving close to a coal fired power plant.
Can anybody recommend some honest real estate agents?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 21,853 times
We have been using a realtor named Bob {removed} with Intracoastal Realty. He has been wonderful and extremely helpful as we make the transition to NC. {Moderator Removed}: Please do not post full realtor names/phone numbers in the rooms. Use private site mail to forward the info. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-22-2008 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 26,128 times
Hampstead is growing! We live in Sneads Ferry and we are growing also! Sneads Ferry is about 12minutes from Hampstead. Just in case you need a church-

Sneads Ferry United Methodist Church
305 Lakeside Dr
Sneads Ferry, NC 28460
(910) 327-4011-church phone
Services: Traditional 8:30 & 11am & Contemporary 9:45am

This is located right outside of the Back Gate of Camp Lejeune. If you are coming from Hampstead you go 17N, R-Hwy 172 and the church will be on Left before you get to the back gate of Camp Lejeune.

They also have Sunday School, Child Care, Mens Groups, Womens Groups, Bible Studies, Prison Ministries, Youth Ministries, Toys For Tots drop off, Food Pantry

Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM

70 posts, read 161,892 times
I helped a client who moved here from Virginia and she felt Hampstead was just right for her family, which includes 2 young boys. They looked all throughout Wilmington and felt that the traffic was much better at that end since she worked at Gen. Electric. Another client who moved here from Raleigh to work mostly out of her home is moving again to get closer to Wilmington because she has decided she wants to be a little closer to main shopping and restaurants.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM

70 posts, read 161,892 times
I forgot to address your original questions about water , air, and safety. Air quality is fine (now humidity is pretty bad in the summer). Water is fine if you are on county or city water for the most part. Many wells have a lot of iron but we just use a water softener. Safety has never been an issue for me or my family since we have lived here for over 30 years. Tragedies do happen here just as they do in other towns. I love where I live. We found the perfect neighborhood for us. It is small and we can ride our bikes or walk our dogs in the peace and quiet.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,749,431 times
Here is a site where you can get info on NC Schools. NC Department of Education is bollixed up, like many, with End of Grade/End of Course test scores. Unfortunately, sometimes, really good schools can't keep improving so they may not be a lot better than they seem. Of course, there is a LOT MORE to education than End of Year Rankings.

NC School Report Cards

In regard to crime, I believe a lot of Wilmington's problems are concentrated in certain areas. If I were making a cross county move, I would invest in the time to call police, and other sources to try to get a better idea than a cold statistic.

Good Luck

lln

Old 09-29-2008, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,132 times
I think you'll enjoy Hampstead. You'll be about 15-20 minutes from the airport, about 10-15 minutes from Mayfair (shopping/restaurants), 20 minutes from Wrightsville Beach, 15 Minutes in the other direction to Topsail Beach, you'll have 4 golf courses to choose from, a world class marina, several different places to launch a boat, 5-10 minutes from Lowes Hardware store, and there is a brand new Lowes Food store being built as we speak which will be a nice addition to the the Food Lion that exists already. If you need a hand with searching for some real estate, my Mom and I work together as a team for Century 21 and would love to help out any way we can. I'll be more than happy to email you some active listings so you can get an idea of what price range you'll feel comfortable in. If you are not working with anyone yet just let me know how big of a home you are looking for and what you'd like to see out your back door. I look forward to hearing from you 910.431.1181. Are you an Oregon or Oregon State fan? That was a big game for State against USC!!!

Regards,

Steve

Old 09-29-2008, 06:44 PM

291 posts, read 766,427 times
Hampstead will be a nice place for your family if you like a small town lifestyle. It is definitely not a pedestrian lifestyle at all...you will need to go pretty much everywhere by car, except for walking around your neighborhood. The commute to the airport is easy these days now that Hwy 17 has been widened and you can go a back route. I think 25 minutes is about the fastest you could get there. It is also about 25 minutes to Mayfaire, which is a lovely shopping area. We have lived here permanently for about 6 years and enjoy it. It is hot and humid as all get out here in the summertime but you can always head to the beautiful beaches of Topsail. Air quality is good, every once in a blue moon, if there is a forest fire, it might be smoky. There is a nice little library, Hampstead Kiwanis Park (I think they have a website)which is being added to, Food Lion, new Lowe's Food Store being built, Ace Hardware, Lowe's Homestore in Surf City, CVS - you can meet most of your daily needs without going into Wilmington. The brand new high school should open by the first of the year..that will allow the old high school to be converted to a middle school, and the middle school will become an elementary school again as it once was, giving the area 3 elementary schools. I think there is a small dance studio on Hwy. 17 in Hampstead. Water quality in our area is okay. We are on the "city water" but I liked our well water taste better. It was from a very deep well and we had a water softener and it is great water. Crime is not an issue in our neighborhood...and there doesn't seem to be much crime in Hampstead generally. There is a local newspaper, Topsail voice, which is published once a week....they also have a website where you can read headlines about our area....just Google for it....Where in Oregon are you moving from? We are thinking of relocating to the Oregon coast in a couple of years or to the Columbia River Gorge area. Any recommendations for us? Best wishes on your upcoming move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina