U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have accepted it but I am confuse if the house has a bill and senate has a different bill is that correct ?

I thought bills go through house then senate then the governor's desk?

If the senate passes a bill how do the two marry together?

The parts of the bill I am o k with
There's a number of scenarios that could come into play at this point, but generally, if the U.S. House and U.S. Senate bills differ, they would go to a joint conference to straighten out the differences.

Off-shore drilling is very far from a "done deal" at the moment. I have my personal doubts the ban of 1982 will be removed, but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,632,256 times
"This doesn't allow North Carolina to receive revenue," she said. "If the state's going to opt in, there needs to be a reason to opt in."

Carolina coast part of drilling plan

Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 PM

179 posts, read 643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbums2 View Post
I hope people realize that Katrina, a category 3 hurricane, caused hundreds of oil spills, some much larger than would have been expected.
Try doing an internet search under "hurricane Katrina oil spills" to see photos and info. Proponents of offshore drilling claimed there weren't any spills from Katrina, but this was simply not true.

I think you do not understand that the wells can be "turned off" when there is a storm approaching.
AND
to the person worrying about looking out at oil rigs.....I think the horizon you see from the beach is 5 to 7 miles away.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
Default Carolina coast part of drilling plan; Parties switch roles

Parties switch roles; GOP opposes bill

By Sean Mussenden
MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE

Published: September 17, 2008

WASHINGTON

The House voted last night to allow oil companies to drill for oil and natural gas off the coast of North Carolina and other Atlantic states.

The proposed alteration of the longstanding ban on offshore drilling -- part of a larger energy package that passed 236-189 -- now heads to the Senate, where its future is uncertain.

The change would give oil companies access to petroleum deposits more than 100 miles off the Atlantic coast, while maintaining a ban on drilling within 50 miles of the shoreline.

North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia also would have the option to allow drilling between 50 and 100 miles of their coastlines.

Complete Story: Carolina coast part of drilling plan

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Parties switch roles; GOP opposes bill

By Sean Mussenden
MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE

Published: September 17, 2008

WASHINGTON

The House voted last night to allow oil companies to drill for oil and natural gas off the coast of North Carolina and other Atlantic states.

The proposed alteration of the longstanding ban on offshore drilling -- part of a larger energy package that passed 236-189 -- now heads to the Senate, where its future is uncertain.

The change would give oil companies access to petroleum deposits more than 100 miles off the Atlantic coast, while maintaining a ban on drilling within 50 miles of the shoreline.

North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia also would have the option to allow drilling between 50 and 100 miles of their coastlines.

Complete Story: Carolina coast part of drilling plan

there is the other problem I have with this . Why not states above North Carolina like the north east

If we are going to drill off our coast any state that is along our coast on the Atlantic or Pacific should be game

Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 AM

Elon Poll: 69 percent of North Carolina residents support offshore drilling
Times-News
Breaking News: Elon Poll: Sixty-nine percent of North Carolina residents support offshore drilling | support, offshore, carolina : Burlington Times News (http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/support_17890___article.html/offshore_carolina.html - broken link)

More than two-thirds of North Carolina residents surveyed by an Elon University Poll support drilling for oil and gas off the state's coast.

Sixty-nine percent of people surveyed support offshore drilling. Thirty-nine percent said they strongly support the drilling and 30 percent offered less-enthusiastic support.

Twenty-six percent of people surveyed oppose drilling, including 17 percent who strongly oppose it and 9 percent who simply said they oppose it.

Five percent said they don't know if they support or oppose drilling.

The poll was conducted last week and surveyed 411 adults who live in North Carolina. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points. Poll results relating to offshore drilling and other issues that have been prominent in this year's national and state political races were released Monday.

People were divided on how quickly offshore drilling could affect gas prices.

Fourteen percent said the impact could be felt either immediately or in less than a year, 29.4 predicted it could take between one and 5 years to make a difference in the cost of gas, and 23.6 percent said it could take between 6 and 10 years.

Among people with a less-optimistic prediction, 9.7 percent said it could take more than 10 years and a combined 11 percent either volunteered "never" as a response or otherwise stated they don't expect drilling to reduce gas prices.

Twelve percent said they didn't know.

Nearly 79 percent said if drilling is allowed, the oil and gas that is produced should be available only to U.S. residents. Seventeen percent disagreed.

But people didn't agree "that the oil and gas produced from these sites should be for use only by people in North Carolina." More than 87 percent disagreed with that statement.

Most people disagreed that oil or gas produced from offshore drilling should "be for the United States government" (55.7 percent disagreed and 32.4 percent agreed) or that the oil or gas should be owned by the company doing the drilling (50.1 percent disagreed and 36 percent agreed).

The poll also asked people about health care, immigration and the economy:

- More people support than oppose a national health insurance plan in which the government "pays most medical and hospital costs for all citizens." Among people surveyed, 48.7 percent support such a plan and 41.6 percent oppose it.

But more people than not are satisfied about the quality of health care in the United States: 52.6 percent said they are generally satisfied and 45.5 percent said they are dissatisfied.

And more people said they expect to be affected negatively (41.9 percent) than positively (37.9 percent) by a national health insurance plan,

Eighty-three percent said they have private health insurance or health care coverage.

- Asked about immigration, nearly everyone surveyed said it's an important issue. Almost 61 percent said it's very important, and nearly 31 percent said it's somewhat important.

More than 58 percent said "the immigration of Hispanics or Latinos" in recent years has been bad for the United States. Sixteen percent said it hasn't made much difference, 15.6 percent said it's been good, 5 percent said they have no opinion and 4.6 percent said they don't know.

Almost two-thirds, or 64.7 percent, disagree with allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the country "for several years as long as they have a job," compared to 30.6 percent who agree.

- More than two-thirds, or 67.4 percent, of people surveyed disapprove of President George W. Bush's handling of the economy, including 43 percent who strongly disapprove. Nineteen percent said they approve.

Asked what they expect to happen to the national economy during the next year, 37.7 percent expect it to get worse, 22.4 percent expect it to stay about the same, and 34.5 percent expect it to get better.

Asked the same question about the state economy, 27 percent expect it to get worse, 35.5 expect it to stay about the same, and 32.8 percent expect it to get better.

Slightly more than half, or 50.4 percent of people surveyed, expect their own finances to stay about the same during the next year. Thirty percent think they will get better and 17 percent think they will get worse

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 AM

you just got to get me revved up this morning

Im sorry that poll was slanted as much as believers are in that this will help gas prices heck it might do nothing for the economy as NC may not see a dime of the revenue generated.

Ok I am about done with my beef on this subject as it look like North Carolina is about to get screwed.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 AM

Sunnykayak,
Relax! I just post'em when I find'em. The loudest voice usually isn't the majority voice anyway!
Everything will be fine-Just stay "tuned in" to the issue!!
Bill

Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Sunnykayak,
Relax! I just post'em when I find'em. The loudest voice usually isn't the majority voice anyway!
Everything will be fine-Just stay "tuned in" to the issue!!
Bill

Im sorry and I apologize if any of my posts come off directed to you I should have said this article got me revved up but in back hand you got me revved up by posting this article.. I do not mean what you post to be directed to you.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM

No problem! But I gotta tell ya'-I love your passion and fervor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina