U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times

Advertisements

I appreciate it but Im not extremist type by any means but this does make me want to get a coffin place it on the beach with figurines of every type of wildlife that supplies us food and the chains of life in it.

It just killed me with that poll including immigration and health care heck why didnt they use the other manipulative vote getter gay marriage.

Least they could do is make the rigs look like lighthouses

I use to view the coast as nothing but sand and water and after I visited an estuary I have better understanding of the life that goes on there.

Since it seems this inevitable of happening I hope no one changes there mind like there posistion on keeping the distance more than fifty miles.

I remember a couple of years ago that some cargo ship had an accident and styrofoam was up and down the coast line . Styrofoam isnt as deadly as oil is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democrats have decided to allow a quarter-century ban on drilling for oil off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts to expire next week.

Offshore drilling ban to expire uncontested - Sep. 23, 2008 (http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/23/news/economy/offshore_drilling.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes - broken link)

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times

Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM

419 posts, read 1,241,994 times
The Bush Administration wants us to believe that offshore drilling will result in lower prices at the pump. If you asked me, the Bush Administration used 9/11 to push their agenda in Iraq. Now they are using high gas prices to push for expanded offshore drilling. Once again, they are playing with our fears to promote their agenda. Will this benefit the consumer? Maybe....maybe not. No one can say with absolute certainty that it will have any affect on the cost of gas. Will this benefit all the big oil companies that helped Bush and Cheney get into office? Absolutely! Think about it people.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Old 09-24-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
The Bush Administration wants us to believe that offshore drilling will result in lower prices at the pump. If you asked me, the Bush Administration used 9/11 to push their agenda in Iraq. Now they are using high gas prices to push for expanded offshore drilling. Once again, they are playing with our fears to promote their agenda. Will this benefit the consumer? Maybe....maybe not. No one can say with absolute certainty that it will have any affect on the cost of gas. Will this benefit all the big oil companies that helped Bush and Cheney get into office? Absolutely! Think about it people.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."
Apparently, the Democratic-controlled Congress is allowing the 1982 ban to expire next week.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM

419 posts, read 1,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Apparently, the Democratic-controlled Congress is allowing the 1982 ban to expire next week.
And most Democrats where in favor of the Iraq war at one time. We let fear steer us in the wrong direction once. Let's not be fooled again.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 AM

It will take a couple of years, at least, before any oil or natural gas leases are issued, years more before any oil is found and perhaps a decade before any of it begins to flow to refineries.

The Associated Press: Oil flowing from offshore spigot still years away

Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 AM

232 posts, read 690,459 times
How about a compromise? What if only natural gas leases were issued for the eastern seaboard? The natural gas could be used as is in vehicles with CNG fuel systems or converted into gasoline using advanced technology that exists right now:

Technology Review: Natural Gas to Gasoline

Gas-to-Liquids (GTL) refineries could be built near the new mega-port facilities in the Southport, NC area. We could derive several benefits from such a plan: a "local" source of gasoline for the mid-atlantic area, natural gas for industry and home heating, and ,of course, more jobs for the coastal areas of the carolinas. Wouldn't it be nice to be near the head of a fuel pipeline instead of being near the tail end?

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for the development of electric vehicles and plug in hybrids, but it will probably take a good 10-15 years for EV's to become affordable enough to grab a decent slice of the car market. Even if all ground transport changed over to EV's in the next 15 years, we'd still need the natural gas for home heating, industry, and electrical generation during peak loads. Comments?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Status Update

It's being reported that the president-elect will reinstate the Executive Order ban on off-shore drilling within days after taking office in January. While currently there's no law banning drilling, the executive order will prohibit the Executive Branch workforce from issuing the necessary exploration permits or leases. No congressional approval is needed for this type of action since it would be an internal directive aimed at Executive Branch employees.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-09-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 253,653 times
Well just hold on, cuz this is the first of many pipe dreams he spewed to the unintellegent voters that are going to go up in smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina