Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 PM

127 posts, read 221,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
beachbums2-You too are evidently quite passionate about this issue. And that's a good thing!
But please re-read my posts-Never once did I say or even allude to: "....in response to you and others who posted about how much cheaper gas will be, how much will be received in royalties, etc."

In fact-I said just the opposite, "And if that means paying more at the pump-So be it!

Energy Independence means development of anything and everything else.

And I'll leave you with another one of your comments, "Your continued argument that drilling along the Atlantic................

All I can say is I don't know who you've been reading-But it certainly has not been any of my posts.
Bill - you posted House Resolution 2806, which argues that billions of barrels of oil and royalties can be had and there will be savings at the gas pump if off shore drilling is allowed on the NC OCS, the relative magnitude of which I am refuting.

While I see your point that you haven't claimed drilling off the Atlantic coast will make us oil independent and all you're really saying is it is part of the whole package, I still say the amount of oil we can get from it isn't worth risking the shoreline.

Here's an example. I visited the Gulf coast of Alabama several months ago. I was on a beautiful beach and the water looked a nice greenish blue, but I noticed where the waves splash against the beach and should be a foamy white the foamy waves were grey. I wondered about it then, but it was only later that I realized it could be from oil spills. While I can't say for certain this was the cause, it is a possibility and something to consider or look into before supporting any oil drilling off the NC coast. I'd love for someone to test the water off the Alabama coast to see what is causing the grey, but that probably won't be done.

I know they claim the rigs are safer now and I hope that's true (skeptic that I am), but consider that there will also be tankers moving that oil and anything can go wrong with a pipeline. Why risk the beauty of the shoreline for such a relatively small amount of oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Both candidates for U.S. Senate in North Carolina raced Wednesday to declare their support for offshore drilling, just three months after the two opposed the idea because of concerns it might harm the environment and tourism.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NC_DOLE_AD_NCOL-?SITE=NCASH&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&source= nletter-news (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 09-11-2008 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Both candidates for U.S. Senate in North Carolina raced Wednesday to declare their support for offshore drilling, just three months after the two opposed the idea because of concerns it might harm the environment and tourism.

CITIZEN-TIMES.com | STATE (broken link)

That's really sad. The oil companies win again.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,951 times
Good Gracious Beachbums-You're trying to lump me in with the bill?? As I said when I posted it, "Thought everyone might find the following interesting."
You pretty much have put me in your cross hairs with accusation completely unfounded. Your "spirit" and "passion" for this issue is great-But it is interferring with your ability to read what is written.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbums2 View Post
That's really sad. The oil companies win again.

Both candidates have received campaign contributions from oil companies.
Something to think about who you vote into office this year.

Atlantic is rougher waters for the rigs than the Gulf and I was just reading about the Damage that Gustav has made on some of the rigs in the gulf.

One simple oil slick would detriment our shell fish industry and we could have the possibility of a oil spill on our beautiful beaches.
I doubt there would be much tourism after that occurs much less home sales

Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Good Gracious Beachbums-You're trying to lump me in with the bill?? As I said when I posted it, "Thought everyone might find the following interesting."
You pretty much have put me in your cross hairs with accusation completely unfounded. Your "spirit" and "passion" for this issue is great-But it is interferring with your ability to read what is written.
My apologies if I misunderstood. I thought you were for drilling and posting something in support of your position, but now that I look at your posts again, you really aren't saying one way or the other?? Nonetheless, I was and am offended by your use of the words "extremely selfish and short-sighted" in regard to discussions regarding the cost of gasoline - which, by the way, is a huge concern for at least some people. It's just that drilling off the shore of NC won't help but a very miniscule amount and that needs to be pointed out. Not to mention that the bill makes the royalties look huge and when figured on a per capita basis, they are also very small. (Not pointing a finger at you - just making a point again.)

Last edited by beachbums2; 09-11-2008 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,951 times
Beachbums2,
Apologies accepted!
And yes-I have been neutral with posts in regards to drilling.

If an individuals only reason for oil drilling is so that they can pay less at the pump-Then it is selfish and short sighted. Unfortunately-people usually don't react until something hurts. (If it feels good we grow accustom then want more)
We as a country need to stop being dependent on oil for energy. We as a country need to stop being dependent on foriegn countries for energy. We as a country need to start now. And as with any change, there will be resistance. The greater and the quicker the change-The greater and the quicker the resistance.
But plain and simple-We need to think of this country's best interest-Not our own personal interets- and make that priority one.
As I posted earlier-I'll pay more at the pump-I'll support banana power exploration if need be-But we must rid our dependence on oil and foriegn powers.
Bill

Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 AM

Two oil rigs broke loose from their moorings in the Gulf of Mexico during Hurricane Ike,

an example of what could happen if oil rigs are placed along our coast in the rough seas of the Atlantic also with areas known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic

Two Oil Rigs Break Loose after Ike - Oil and Gas * Energy * News * Story - CNBC.com

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives on Tuesday night passed an energy bill clearing the way for more oil drilling off U.S. coasts. The bill was passed by a vote of 236-189.

House OKs bill allowing more offshore oil drilling - CNN.com

Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 AM

I have accepted it but I am confuse if the house has a bill and senate has a different bill is that correct ?

I thought bills go through house then senate then the governor's desk?

If the senate passes a bill how do the two marry together?

The parts of the bill I am o k with

Quote:
The House bill would require states to give their permission for drilling on their land. It also would offer incentives for renewable energy, require the government to release oil from its emergency reserve, and force oil companies to drill on federal lands they already lease from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina