U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 36,822 times

Advertisements

I've searched and haven't come up with anything from jacksonville, nc. Anyone live or been to the area ?
I have the opportunity with my company to provide IT support at camp lejune. Housing seems afordable but is the area nice?
My wife would like to go back to school full time, so we also need to look at colleges.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
Jacksonville is a very affordable housing market. The economy was built around the Marine Corp base-Camp LeJune.
Coastal Carolina Community College is in Jacksonville: http://www.coastal.cc.nc.us/
UNC Wilmington is approx. 30-40 miles south.
Bill

Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,318,827 times
This place is a **** hole. The only college here is Coastal Carolina Community College and even thats not saying much. This entire town is literally one big strip mall with a huge military base at the end. Most of the jobs here are retail and service related. I would say most ppl here are in some way connected to the military and don't hang around for long. Its a small town but it no way is it charming, if you want that try the Wilmington area or even New Bern but each is about an hour away.The only good thing I can say is that housing is very affordable...but other than that tis town is lacking anything worth moving for.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM

44 posts, read 150,046 times
Wow, jmusmc85, I was just in Jacksonville for Christmas with my family, and I had a great time. I live in CT, so I guess the slower pace of Jacksonville was good for me---as CT and us northerners are always on the go!!!

Yes, my brother is a retired marine, since 1997, but he is in Jacksonville for the long haul---he is retired from the services, but working in the area, making a living just like the rest of us.

Yes, Jacksonville is a military town, but there are plenty of stores and side streets with stores and restaurants unrelated to the military.

But I do agree, there probably aren't many jobs here, unless you work on base or work in the service industry.

But overall, I thought Jacksonville was great!!! A whole lot more peaceful than Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport CT can be!!!

Patty in CT

Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,040,740 times
Well, there probably is not a rule from your employer stating that you have to live within 2 miles of the base. UNC-Wilmington is a comprehensive part of the University of North Carolina system. You could live between the two, and each of you would have about a 15 min. drive, also I suspect you could also shop whereever you chose, I presume you would not have one foot nailed to the floor, Work in J'ville, School in Wilmington. I'm somewhat biased, I was stationed in J'ville in the 60's. What can you say, it is a base town. I have a soft spot for jarheads but I'm not about to move back into barracks. There is undoubtably a compromise here in living situations.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 63,656 times
Thumbs up Jville

I am born and raised here, It is what you want it to me, It is a military town and they are very much a major part of Jville and all are welcome here. Cambell University and ECU and UNC Wilmington have classes at Camp Lejeune where you can recieve a degree. The comments I have read I have seen before, but lets face it, military towns are a melting pots, its not everyones hometown, but it is mine. I would just ask for a little respect as we respect all who move here no matter where your from

Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 AM

844 posts, read 2,676,477 times
Default Jville, agree about the respect.....

I guess most folks forget that people do live there and call it HOME.

That said, I was stationed at Lejeune back in the 70's and have been back to JV a few times looking for an area to retire to.

Yes JV has a strip mall type area, but JV also has some nice shopping areas, and some really-really housing areas.

However, while we liked it in general, we preferred the New Bern area which appears to be a little more layed back.

I would recommend that anyone considering the area, or any area in general, contact a realtor, and have them give you a tour of the area, and show you some homes in differenet areas. We spent about 4 hours with a JV realtor last year, and she showed how nice JV is overall. You just can't get that type of insight riding around by yourself.

Regards,......marc

Old 01-27-2008, 04:16 PM

103 posts, read 852,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
This place is a **** hole. The only college here is Coastal Carolina Community College and even thats not saying much. This entire town is literally one big strip mall with a huge military base at the end. Most of the jobs here are retail and service related. I would say most ppl here are in some way connected to the military and don't hang around for long. Its a small town but it no way is it charming, if you want that try the Wilmington area or even New Bern but each is about an hour away.The only good thing I can say is that housing is very affordable...but other than that tis town is lacking anything worth moving for.
I agree with you about Jacksonville! If you want a place to live for your family, please try Wilmington. You are right too that there aren't any jobs there either. Jacksonville is my second home away from Wilmington. There are plenty of strip bars there that the Marines like to go if you want to be brutally honest.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 PM

103 posts, read 852,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfbagnt View Post
I am born and raised here, It is what you want it to me, It is a military town and they are very much a major part of Jville and all are welcome here. Cambell University and ECU and UNC Wilmington have classes at Camp Lejeune where you can recieve a degree. The comments I have read I have seen before, but lets face it, military towns are a melting pots, its not everyones hometown, but it is mine. I would just ask for a little respect as we respect all who move here no matter where your from
Okay sorry. Jacksonville is a great place to go to if you want to party. I met my future husband at Club 108 off of Piney Green Road. I guess I can't know Jacksonville too bad, because I met my dear husband of 12 years there.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:39 AM

3 posts, read 23,729 times
My daughter has decided to move there to be with her boyfriend. What is like for a 19 yr old to be moving there with her boyfriend who is a marine; I am concerned because we are from the northeast and she has never been away from home and is somewhat naive about the way the world works;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina