U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,012 times

Advertisements

What's up everyone.
I recently accepted a job in Wilmington, and I'll be moving in the next week. Does anyone have some good advice on where to live, and more importantly, where not to live? I'm working just south of downtown (Think River Rd. @ Independence), I think living around Monkey Junction or farther down to Carolina Beach would be feasible. Schools are a non-issue; I'm in my mid 20's and I don't have kids.

I'm going to rent a 1BR/2BR type place, and I'm thinking about downtown Wilmington or Carolina Beach. If I move to Carolina Beach, I'm concerned about traffic, and to a lesser degree, the weather. The place I'm looking at would probably not survive a category 3 or 4 hurricane. Wrightsville is out of my price range, and I think Kure is just a little bit too far south.

If I move downtown, I have no idea what are the crime-filled areas and the crime-free areas are. I really want to live in one of those historic places with the Live Oaks lining the streets, but on my last visit, I saw some pretty rough areas downtown. Does anyone have some good ideas about what areas to specifically avoid downtown?

I'd appreciate any sort of advice y'all could give me
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,117,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
What's up everyone.
I recently accepted a job in Wilmington, and I'll be moving in the next week. Does anyone have some good advice on where to live, and more importantly, where not to live? I'm working just south of downtown (Think River Rd. @ Independence), I think living around Monkey Junction or farther down to Carolina Beach would be feasible. Schools are a non-issue; I'm in my mid 20's and I don't have kids.

I'm going to rent a 1BR/2BR type place, and I'm thinking about downtown Wilmington or Carolina Beach. If I move to Carolina Beach, I'm concerned about traffic, and to a lesser degree, the weather. The place I'm looking at would probably not survive a category 3 or 4 hurricane. Wrightsville is out of my price range, and I think Kure is just a little bit too far south.

If I move downtown, I have no idea what are the crime-filled areas and the crime-free areas are. I really want to live in one of those historic places with the Live Oaks lining the streets, but on my last visit, I saw some pretty rough areas downtown. Does anyone have some good ideas about what areas to specifically avoid downtown?

I'd appreciate any sort of advice y'all could give me
Thanks.
It can be pricy downtown - there are condos on 3rd Street in progress, and a few others in the area - $$$$$ Monkey Junction is supposed to be the next up-and-coming area - who knows. I am having a mind-f##t right now - my son is looking to buy a condo and he's looked in that general area. There are some rough areas, even around those beautiful historic homes. It is a great city - my son loves it there and I enjoy visiting.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM

yup, I've got the feeling that my price range in downtown will land me in a bad area. I'm leaning toward Carolina Beach, but I don't have much information about it. I drove down last weekend, and it seemed sort of run down - but that doesn't bother me much.

I'm really just trying to make a decision about downtown vs. Carolina beach, and I don't really know anyone from Wilmington that could give me any opinions.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM

915 posts, read 2,312,000 times
I lived in Carolina Beach for about 3 years (1997-2000), on the North End. Not run down in that area at all. My parents still live there, and I visit often. The Carolina Beach area is getting spruced up, lots of new development, and I think it's for the better. Commute to Wilmington can be arduous though...no freeways makes for a long ride, with all those stoplights. It's why I moved into Wilmington. My commute from Carolina Beach to Castle Hayne could take 45 minutes if traffic was bad. I know a lot of people (20-somethings) who loved the social aspects of downtown, but none that lived down there.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 20,242 times
I lived in the area for around three years 1996-1999. The writing was on the wall even then about traffic and the area has a problem. Carolina Beach was on the upswing when I left as was Carolina Place off of Wrightsville Avenue, an older neighborhood with a lot of nice bungalows. I would think the Masonboro Loop area might still be affordable in some pockets that are closer to Carolina Beach.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,312,000 times
YeahI don't know if there is any good solution to the traffic problem. There is absolutely no room for a north-south freeway between let's say Carolina Beach and the UNCW (and further north to I-40) area. So you're stuck on Carolina Beach Road, and then College Road, with horrible traffic and stoplight after stoplight. Poor planning and over-development. Some say that the new 140 bypass is a help, but not to those traveling north-south.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 PM

well, for me, College Rd. would be a non-issue. I won't be going too close to UNCW. I'll be taking either Carolina Beach Rd. or River Rd. up the west side of the peninsula. I'm planning on a 30-minute commute in traffic, and 15 minutes with no traffic. It's more than I'm used to, but it's worth it to live within walking distance (4 blocks) of the beach. Although, I walked out on Carolina Beach, and it looked like the beach has some serious erosion problems.

But about downtown; is there any quick way to tell what's a good & bad place to live? I've seen places listed on Queen St, Ann St, Nun St, Orange St, etc..
I'm going down this weekend to look at some, but it'd be helpful if anyone could share any conventional wisdom about the area. I also saw a place that was on Market @ Front St., but with no parking; I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM

56 posts, read 306,014 times
Default U.S.Citizen

After working and living in the downtown area, my opinion is between 3rd St. and 17th, north to the airport, south to Shipyard blvd. would be the areas
to stay away from. Most of the crimes happens in this area. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.Citizen View Post
After working and living in the downtown area, my opinion is between 3rd St. and 17th, north to the airport, south to Shipyard blvd. would be the areas
to stay away from. Most of the crimes happens in this area. Good luck.
Thanks for the opinion.. I think. You just named the entirety of downtown. There are like 2 streets that aren't covered by your description, and they are mostly commercial. Are you just trying to be a smartass? Couldn't you just say "Don't live downtown" ?

Last edited by anonymous; 02-09-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-10-2007, 02:47 AM

56 posts, read 306,014 times
Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Thanks for the opinion.. I think. You just named the entirety of downtown. There are like 2 streets that aren't covered by your description, and they are mostly commercial. Are you just trying to be a smartass? Couldn't you just say "Don't live downtown" ?
Because it is not the entirety of downtown. From Front St to 3rd is a beautiful area to live with some of 4th and 5th St. Beautiful historic homes.
I thought trying to be helpfull by giving you some GENERAL geographical boundaries to go by when driving around Wilmington. Remember? You asked about "crime-filled" areas. If you don't believe me, fine. But, don't imply that I am trying to be a smartass. Save that for your [domain blocked due to spam] forum.
I wrote that I lived and worked there, but I guess you missed that part.
If my living near the corner of 2nd and Dock St for a couple of years, along with living at Wrightsville Beach and in Ogden off of Middle Sound Loop near the ICW doesn't qualify for your grade of "conventional wisdom" then, so be it. AH.

P.S. I guess we won't be getting in to my stay at Carolina Beach for a number of months on a sailboat or about all of my properties that I have now in So. Brunswick County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina