U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 PM

86 posts, read 171,911 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from Memphis and would like to be near the beach. I have been to Wilmington, 1 time for about 4 hrs at beach and not much time around town. Was not greatly impressed but what can you get from a few hrs. I am very used to big city life. I've been reading about sleepy times around this area. I may be looking for somewhere that doesn't exist but here is what I want. My parent will be coming with me in there 70's, and it looks like i I will possibly, more towards probably have three mixed children with me. I need somewhere that is safe but not racially divided/ old south issues. I want good schools and not ghetto mentalaity. I have friends in Charlotte and it's alot like Memphis but not on the same scale so it still worries me. How do you locals think I would fair in your area. Any info is greatly appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
where are yiou trying to come from in 3 or 4 hours that you mention above?

I know it cant be Memphis could you clarify?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:17 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
From what you have said, I think Wilmington deserves a second look. If "big city life" is really what you are after, Eastern NC is not for you. WIlmington will be as good as it gets.

Maybe you should look at the Virgina Beach/Norfolk metro. Lots of "stuff" there.

I know some my guffaw at this, but if big city life is not that important to you, a place like Havelock might work. Granted there is not much to do there, but the military influence means lots of people, from lots of cultural variety and people that are used to making new friends, regardless of race, culture, creed, etc,etc, etc.

It will be easy to avoid ghetto mentality, but there are also places where you can find it, too. I don't think you will ever be completely free of "old south" attitudes, but the people that matter to you, and those that you matter too, will never have them. Eastern NC is, for all the stereotypical racial perceptoins, a pretty heterogeneous area.

lln

Old 09-28-2008, 12:49 PM

39 posts, read 208,603 times
Isn't Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area the most populated on the NC coast? And that's not saying much - just that if you want city life, it's probably as close as you're going to find. LLN said it above - you may want to give it a second look, especially if you're set on NC shores.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or