Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM

54 posts, read 225,798 times

Advertisements

Wow what in the WORLD is wrong with you guys? If you look at my initial post up there, I ASKED a pretty simple non insulting question about Wilmington.. I use the word "ridiculous" a lot, and we are online here so you can't tell my tone of voice in which I used it and it definitely was not meant as insulting.. And I had HEARD from someone that "monkey junction" is just what people call it, it's not an official name for that place, so I guess I heard wrong but I didn't know that. I'm not looking for negative attention and I'm not insulting anyone here.. lighten up!! How am I desperate for attention.. I asked a simple question and I'm getting barked at! Jobs are not an issue, like I said. I'm not looking for Wilmington to be like Long Island. Charlotte, i expected it to be a bit like home since so many people have said it's similar. Wilmington is a different story however. I grew up on the coast so it's an important element to me, regardless of whether you don't "use" it in the winter. Can anyone have a bad day and write something on these forums without getting yelled at? yes I'm frustrated with Charlotte, I was just looking for people who may have felt the same, but hi.. we're on the coastal forum now and I asked a simple question about neighborhoods.. gee whiz!

Anifani, I know what you mean.. I also think it would be a whole different world to live there rather than visit. We are just trying to figure out life just like everybody else is.. that is all. no place is perfect, yes I know, but we are trying to find the perfect place for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 PM

419 posts, read 1,391,723 times
For the record, I think "Monkey Junction" sounds ridiculous too. It doesn't beat out the unincorporated community of Lizard Lick NC though.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM

54 posts, read 225,798 times
Thank you giffman & villanova, those are my thoughts exactly! I said nothing that was rude but all I got were rude replies. Southern hospitality- is that what they're calling it these days? yeah, sure.

I come back not for snappy replies from those people who analyze my statements to death thinking they'll know where I will be happy living, but to see if anyone has further answered my original post.. no such luck. Thanks though for the information that was provided.. I'll continue to research Wilmington. I love the beach! I think when you grow up on it, it's hard to ever live somewhere that's landlocked.

Anyway, thanks guys for the support! Lizard Lick.. lol now that is strange and nobody can say that it's not!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
it is esse quam videri honey

Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM

183 posts, read 669,735 times
I lived in Wilmington for over 20 years before moving to the Raleigh area about 5 years ago. My parents are still in the area, so I'm down there fairly frequently. I read through your other posts in the Charlotte thread, and although as a Southerner I did find some of your comments to be a little rude, I'm not flaming you, I'm just being honest.

Based on what you said you're looking for, Wilmington is not for you.

You mentioned wanting busy-ness and lots of stores. There are some, but...well, to put it in perspective, lets say you like Target. I can't speak for Charlotte, but I know that up here I'm within 15 minutes of 4 Target stores, so I'd imagine it's the same there. Wilmington has one.

You mentioned that Charlotte feels like a small town to you even with all the traffic. Well, take that, make the town about 1/6 the size and give it a beach, and that's Wilmington (the job situation is different too but but you said jobs weren't a concern so I'm not throwing that in the comparison).

In one of your posts you said, "People are not rude in NYC, it's a large misconception. They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!" Who does that anyway? When people wave at me and I don't know them, it makes me feel weird, I think it's weird! But if you were to actually talk with people, you would find they are nice.. they just don't have time for sweet tea on the porch." Things are much lower paced in Wilmington than they are in Charlotte (i.e., why many people in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, etc. have beach houses in the area) so you're going to get a double dose of this.

You are correct that Wilmington is a different feel from Charlotte, but just based on what I've seen in your posts, you will not only still be unhappy, but possibly even more unhappy.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 42,515 times
esse quam videri = To be, rather than to seem (state motto)

if people are TO BE that rude in NC.
why would anyone want to move there?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 9,799 times
Default It's been one of my dreams to live in Wilmington

I was stationed at Lejeune back in the 80s. Just loved Wilmington. I would certainly try hard to fit in and not bring some kind of attitude with me. I would be honored to live there!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,799 times
I did not find it insulting. I too would love to live there. Maybe some day!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,292,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor61 View Post
I did not find it insulting. I too would love to live there. Maybe some day!
Please don't dig up 10 year old, long dormant posts. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
FWIW, Monkey Junction got its name from a gas station whose owner kept a monkey (species unknown) and he'd offer a ca$h prize if someone could box a certain amount of time with the monkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina