U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM

54 posts, read 205,019 times

Advertisements

I've visited Wilmington once before and me and my husband really enjoyed it and have talked about moving there. Anyway, I really didn't care for Carolina beach or that side of town.. it didn't look appealing. I was wondering which neighborhoods are closer to the wrightsville beach side of town rather than Carolina beach.. are they on opposite ends? That's how I picture it in my head but i'm not quite sure. We didn't get to go to wrightsville beach so i'm not sure exactly where it's situated. But for example, I hear a lot about this "monkey junction" neighborhood.. is that considered near carolina beach? Sunset park? forest hills? etc... I'd rather stay away from Carolina Beach and I want to make the most of the time that we visit to look for houses. Thanks!!

Oh PS, jobs are not an issue.. so that won't make a difference in location and where we should live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,632,256 times
have you ever heard of thing called google maps

Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Of course. But I didn't know if places like "Forest Hills" were actually on a map.. or if they were types of neighborhood names that just get their names due to people naming them and they are not "official". Like I don't believe "monkey junction" is official because it just sounds ridiculous. plus, people can always give you a better idea than a map...

Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM

you think everything going to be what you are use to and that isnt the case in this state.
Base on your prior thread you just think North Carolina is going to cater to you instead if you want to survive here and people respect you then you need to adapt to it's culture

Im sorry you dont want to put the effort in searching but everything isnt going to be handed to you on a platter either.... Money Junction not a place that you already insulted by saying it to silly to be real ...... my google search and it was the first to come up

Monkey Junction, NC (http://www.monkeyjunctionnc.com/home.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM

144 posts, read 503,710 times
Monkey Junction is closer to the Carolina Beach area, there is a lot of new growth in that area and quite a bit of traffic and congestion (granted that is all of Wilmington)

Forest Hills is going to be more towards downtown, sort of "between" Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach...

There are a lot of neighborhoods in Wilmington and the easiest thing would be to give a estimate of your price range so people can help you narrow it down. For example if you want to live ON WB you are looking to spend 1 million plus

Old 10-01-2008, 04:08 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,360,294 times
monkey junction is out towards carolina beach. forest hills is kind of mid-downtown. there are lots of neighborhoods near wrightsville beach, but it depends on your price range. mayfaire is out that way, as is landfall, but they are pricey. if you are bored in charlotte, you will be yanking out your teeth in wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
I've visited Wilmington once before and me and my husband really enjoyed it and have talked about moving there. Anyway, I really didn't care for Carolina beach or that side of town.. it didn't look appealing. I was wondering which neighborhoods are closer to the wrightsville beach side of town rather than Carolina beach.. are they on opposite ends? That's how I picture it in my head but i'm not quite sure. We didn't get to go to wrightsville beach so i'm not sure exactly where it's situated. But for example, I hear a lot about this "monkey junction" neighborhood.. is that considered near carolina beach? Sunset park? forest hills? etc... I'd rather stay away from Carolina Beach and I want to make the most of the time that we visit to look for houses. Thanks!!

Oh PS, jobs are not an issue.. so that won't make a difference in location and where we should live.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Sunny Kayak... I've done TONS of research and put lots of effort into looking things up so you definitely can't say I haven't. I just thought I would consult people on this question first to see what people say that's all. I'm not looking for things to be handed to me on a platter either, where do you get that? more than half the questions on this whole city data forum thing could be researched and found out through google, and people probably do that, but people also want to connect to PEOPLE and hear what they have to say about certain things. City Data wouldn't exist if we didn't want to talk to people, hello! I may be bored in Charlotte, and Wilmington may be totally different than Charlotte and smaller, but it is a comPLETELY different feel than Charlotte and our situation is complicated to where Charlotte is just not for us, and though I love real city life, Wilmington may be better for us.. but no one is going to understand that unless you knew us. the beach is also important. Landlocked = no good! I know nothing is going to be what I'm used to.. that's a personal issue I have to deal with. I'm dealing with the fact that I can't move back to what I'm used to and that is really really hard to come to terms with. But I wont even go any further since it will probably result in some sort of snappy reply.

I know Wilmington is "expensive" for the north carolina standards, but it's not that bad. Our price range is probably 220,000 and below. I've seen houses there for that so I know that it's possible to get one. What area? probably one of the sleepy areas like Leland, etc. But we shall see what happens, and who knows, renting is def an option. So are other states! We'll see.. thanks for the "help".

Old 10-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
Sunny Kayak... I've done TONS of research and put lots of effort into looking things up so you definitely can't say I haven't. I just thought I would consult people on this question first to see what people say that's all. I'm not looking for things to be handed to me on a platter either, where do you get that? more than half the questions on this whole city data forum thing could be researched and found out through google, and people probably do that, but people also want to connect to PEOPLE and hear what they have to say about certain things. City Data wouldn't exist if we didn't want to talk to people, hello! I may be bored in Charlotte, and Wilmington may be totally different than Charlotte and smaller, but it is a comPLETELY different feel than Charlotte and our situation is complicated to where Charlotte is just not for us, and though I love real city life, Wilmington may be better for us.. but no one is going to understand that unless you knew us. the beach is also important. Landlocked = no good! I know nothing is going to be what I'm used to.. that's a personal issue I have to deal with. I'm dealing with the fact that I can't move back to what I'm used to and that is really really hard to come to terms with. But I wont even go any further since it will probably result in some sort of snappy reply.

I know Wilmington is "expensive" for the north carolina standards, but it's not that bad. Our price range is probably 220,000 and below. I've seen houses there for that so I know that it's possible to get one. What area? probably one of the sleepy areas like Leland, etc. But we shall see what happens, and who knows, renting is def an option. So are other states! We'll see.. thanks for the "help".
You make the statement
Quote:
Like I don't believe "monkey junction" is official because it just sounds ridiculous
you may not think so but that is insulting to those who live in this of Wilmington.

If you dont like the slower pace life then why are you choosing slower life towns such as Wilmington area and I dont know if you done research but the average pay is alot less than what you found in Charlotte but the homes are priced higher...do the math...
This is southern coastal town that is happy with the way it is and doesnt need somone coming in thinking they can change things which they will not be able to This is not Long Island ... again you will be disappointed because it isnt just because of few LI people may be there.

Quote from you
Quote:
Is it just me.. or is this place not all it's cracked up to be? Maybe it's just because i'm from Long Island NY and nothing else compares to NY, but tons of New Yorkers are apparently moving here.. and I just don't know what all the hype is about Charlotte
Base on your sentiment you will substitue Charlotte for Wilmington and end up with same result if not more unsatisfaction.
You will have the coast but that is only good for part of the year the water and air still gets cold.

If you are bored now ooo hooo I cant wait til you move to Wilmington but I challenge you to I told you so.. There is a huge difference between living along the coast than visiting there.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Sunnie - no way you would be happy in Wilmington if you are not happy in CLT. Truly. It is not Long Island. Even for people here in NC - who visit Wilimington regularly - living there is a big wake up call. Quaint, charming, and fun for tourists - but a whole different situation if you are the person living there dealing w/ the tourists, if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong. Wilimington is a terrific area if you have a business there and a reason to be there . . . like - friends and family and a job that gets you integrated w/ the community.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,455,623 times
I just can't believe you are now on the costal forum insulting these people. What is it with you? Do you honestly not know how to ask for help or are you just so desparate for attention that you will take negative attention over no attention at all. If I seem surprised by that it is because this behavior usualy ends by first or second grade. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you have been "talked to" on other forums and I think it is just time to stop this childish behavior and let us get back to helping the folks who really need answers. I wish you well bid you farewell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina