Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 30,105 times

Advertisements

does anyone know if there is a running club or bicycle club in or around Emerald Isle? --also, are there any gym or fitness clubs on the island?-I noticed that there is one in Swansboro....anything on the island? also when does Emerald Isle have its first frost?...do the leaves stay on the trees yearround or do they fall in the autumn?ok...that ought to do for a while...thanx to any who answer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 AM

291 posts, read 870,037 times
Default bike or running club in EI

There is a gym in Cape Carteret. There is also a group of gals who run, and I think they may run over the big bridge onto the island. Try the gym in Cape Carteret...you will probably find connections there for runners.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,075 times
Cool Call Parks and Recreation in Emerald Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangypsey View Post
does anyone know if there is a running club or bicycle club in or around Emerald Isle? --also, are there any gym or fitness clubs on the island?-I noticed that there is one in Swansboro....anything on the island? also when does Emerald Isle have its first frost?...do the leaves stay on the trees yearround or do they fall in the autumn?ok...that ought to do for a while...thanx to any who answer....
I would call the folks at Emerald Isle Parks and Recreation and ask them.

Parks & Recreation at 252.354.6350

I know that on October 18, 2008 the 5th Annual Emerald Isle Triathlon is scheduled to begin at 8:00 am at the Eastern Regional Access.

As to the leaves it depends on the tree, we get some color and some trees lose their leaves. However, Live Oaks can keep their leaves all winter with the leaves only falling off when the new ones emerge in the spring.

As to frost, we live a little further inland on the White Oak. Our first frost last year was around Dec. 19. We're right on the water so friends who live just a half mile or so inland had a frost a few weeks before that.

A lot depends on how fast the water cools. This year we got our first tomato on June 1, and I was hoping to have tomatoes into January but the salt spray and wind from Hannah damaged them so much that I pulled them up.

If you have more questions just let me know.

Last edited by dsobotta; 10-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 AM

11 posts, read 30,105 times
Thanx so much for your answers...it means a lot that people are listening,and giving thoughtful answers....like many others we have vacationed in Emerald Isle for many years,hoping to one day make this a permanent move.....now, that is actually happening,I realize that there are so many things that I do not know....after living in the same town town for nearly all of my life...so since tomato plants were mentioned..haha....I WAS wondering how they do in the sandy soil?...do you have to add in other soil...or do they do well with what you got?--I have always had a vegatable garden where I live now, and was wondering about the soil before you mentioned it..so without knowing it you answered another one of my million questions...interesting that it does not frost until mid Dec...we should be having our first one here in wv next week...............I did know about the triathlon was the 18th,put that on my calendar when we were there in August....will miss that by 2days...our moving in day is the 20th.......oh, and do they 'really' run across the bridge....I mentioned that to someone while I was down there ....it looks pretty scary to me...but, I guess in the off season, traffic count is pretty low.....also, thankyou, for the mention of the gym in Cape Carteret..I will be checking into it....Jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina