U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: school search, job market, teachers, cost of living, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meecha33 View Post
Wow, I am so jealous! Is year round teaching somewhat common down there, or did you just find a needle in a haystack? What do you teach? How long have you been there? Do you see a big turnover down in positions down there? Is it hard to obtain a job? I am k-8 certified and it is very difficult where I am at. I have a teaching position now, but the last job I applied for had over 150 applications...I came in second...ugh

In our county we only have several schools on year round schedule. I think our middle school and two other elementary are on it, here. It amazes me that everyone is not on year round.

I have been here two years. When I decided to return to teaching, I reviewed carefully all NC school districts, and ultimately schools, and chose the schools I was interested in. I then went for interviews (two way) and was selected in the one I wanted to teach. I have some pretty good credentials, not to brag, but I felt it gave me a pretty good chance of choosing the school I wanted. It did.

I think we get a lot of applications, but I think turnover is fairly high, for various reasons. You won't know till you try!

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,085,070 times
I'm from NJ hoping to move to SC within a few months.
I can't understand why people would move south and keep their NJ tags? With the high cost of insurance, registrations, license renewals, etc. in NJ, I can't wait to give this overpriced state their tags back!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina