Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: school search, job market, teachers, cost of living, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 21,261 times

Advertisements

I am a school teacher near 30, and married. We are from NJ and are considering a move to NC, specifically somewhat near the coast. We like a variety of outdoor activities...including fishing, hunting, drag racing, and four-wheeling. We have friends in NC and have visited, but have not been near the eastern coast.

The reasons we have for leaving NJ are cost of living, lack of business opportunity (we live in South Jersey), and limited availability of the activities we enjoy.

Some questions we have are:

Where are some good school districts located?
What areas should we stay away from, (due to crime, etc)?
Does anyone know if there are job opportunities for teachers?
Cost of living? We would probably be looking for a home about $200,000 or less.

I have noticed many people on this site were originally from NJ or other northern states. What are some things we should consider? Are you happy with your move?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are planning to visit the area, perhaps near Wilmington (but appreciate information about other areas), next month. If you need more information for a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by meecha33; 10-07-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM

78 posts, read 294,470 times
Hi ,also from n.j. looking to move in 18 months. around Wilmington is nice & near the coast, thats the area I'm looking at because of jobs are scarce around n.c. but around the coast I think Wilmington I have a better chance. You being a teacher might have a better chance. Wilmington housing is more expensive though. I like the Calabash area inbetween Wilmington & Myrtle Beach,& housing is cheaper..good luck I'm sure some realtors can help you with more info.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
No offense, but we have a lot of NJ folks in New Bern...at least they drive around, presumably illegally, on NJ tags.

Having ranted about yankees (just kidding, I hope you know) NEW BERN is a place you might want to consider. We are about an hour from the coast, and have some pretty good schools. Craven County School System.

Tucker Creek Middle School is awesome. It is year round which is the best AND I know some of the teachers and students are into drag racing... the students on some junior deal where they have to match the time or speed.

Anyway, you will find lots of fellow NJ folks in and around New Bern if you decide to check it out.

lln

Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj relocating View Post
Hi ,also from n.j. looking to move in 18 months. around Wilmington is nice & near the coast, thats the area I'm looking at because of jobs are scarce around n.c. but around the coast I think Wilmington I have a better chance. You being a teacher might have a better chance. Wilmington housing is more expensive though. I like the Calabash area inbetween Wilmington & Myrtle Beach,& housing is cheaper..good luck I'm sure some realtors can help you with more info.
njrelocating,

Thanks for the info. Have you been to Calabash before? We are planning to visit NC next month just to get some ideas. If you know more specifics about Calabash, please let me know. Are you leaving Jersey for the same reasons?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
No offense, but we have a lot of NJ folks in New Bern...at least they drive around, presumably illegally, on NJ tags.

Having ranted about yankees (just kidding, I hope you know) NEW BERN is a place you might want to consider. We are about an hour from the coast, and have some pretty good schools. Craven County School System.

Tucker Creek Middle School is awesome. It is year round which is the best AND I know some of the teachers and students are into drag racing... the students on some junior deal where they have to match the time or speed.

Anyway, you will find lots of fellow NJ folks in and around New Bern if you decide to check it out.

lln

LLN,

Wow, thanks for the school info. Year round school?!?! I was just talking to my husband about how awesome that would be.... I will look into the schools. Thanks, too, for the info about drag racing....do you know of any tracks in the area? I know there is one in Jacksonville, but haven't checked farther north. Oh, and what's wrong with the yankees?!?! Actually, most people here are Phillies fans. What is the fav team in NC? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meecha33 View Post
LLN,

....do you know of any tracks in the area? I know there is one in Jacksonville, but haven't checked farther north.....
I really do not, sorry. We had a student bring his small drag racer in last year while we were studying heat engines. There were two or three other teachers in the parking lot, a couple had drag race t-shirts on, and were "talking the talk." I had no idea there were any tracks around, but it seems they had to go a short ways to get to one, just not something I was really paying attention to. Would check but we are in the midst of our 3 week fall break.

lln

Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile You should check out Carteret County

Quote:
Originally Posted by meecha33 View Post
I am a school teacher near 30, and married. We are from NJ and are considering a move to NC, specifically somewhat near the coast. We like a variety of outdoor activities...including fishing, hunting, drag racing, and four-wheeling. We have friends in NC and have visited, but have not been near the eastern coast.

The reasons we have for leaving NJ are cost of living, lack of business opportunity (we live in South Jersey), and limited availability of the activities we enjoy.

Some questions we have are:

Where are some good school districts located?
What areas should we stay away from, (due to crime, etc)?
Does anyone know if there are job opportunities for teachers?
Cost of living? We would probably be looking for a home about $200,000 or less.

I have noticed many people on this site were originally from NJ or other northern states. What are some things we should consider? Are you happy with your move?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are planning to visit the area, perhaps near Wilmington (but appreciate information about other areas), next month. If you need more information for a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
Carteret County has very good schools. As always some are better than others but the county ranked number 10 out of 115 in a recent study of "parent friendliness."

You can read the City-Data profile for the county which will show you that we are a low crime area.

We live near Cape Carteret. This map will help orient you to the area.

We have a number of New Jersey people in the area. I just helped someone who was a carpenter in New Jersey for years find a place on the river.

If you like the out of doors Carteret County is a great place. We have the Croatan National Forest which is 158,000 acres. It is all around us on our side of the county.

We live on the White Oak River. From the time I drop my boat in the water from the lift behind the house, it only takes me ten minutes to get to the Intracoastal and another ten minutes after that to make it out Bogue Inlet to the ocean. Or I can turn and go up river and fish many of the great holes where the river narrows from 1.5 miles to a hundred feet.

There are lots of trails for hiking along with plenty of hunting, and fishing.

On top of that we can be walking on the beaches in less than ten minutes.

It's a great year around area, but it is small towns so if you want more of a city, you should probably head to Wilmington or that vicinity.

There are new homes, 3 bedrooms, two baths, under $200k and they are within seven or eight miles of the beach. There are plenty of homes on the market.

My Roanoake with sea salt website has lots of information about the area. If you have more questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Here is a link to some sunset pictures I took while kayaking on the White Oak River the other night.

Last edited by dsobotta; 10-09-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: left link out

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I really do not, sorry. We had a student bring his small drag racer in last year while we were studying heat engines. There were two or three other teachers in the parking lot, a couple had drag race t-shirts on, and were "talking the talk." I had no idea there were any tracks around, but it seems they had to go a short ways to get to one, just not something I was really paying attention to. Would check but we are in the midst of our 3 week fall break.

lln
Wow, I am so jealous! Is year round teaching somewhat common down there, or did you just find a needle in a haystack? What do you teach? How long have you been there? Do you see a big turnover down in positions down there? Is it hard to obtain a job? I am k-8 certified and it is very difficult where I am at. I have a teaching position now, but the last job I applied for had over 150 applications...I came in second...ugh

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM

dsobotta,

I sent you a message, thanks so much for the valuable information!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM

78 posts, read 294,470 times
hi meecha,I'm leaving Jersey cause I'm tired of the weather & high cost of living.I'm semi retiring ,I'll have to still work at least part time. Calabash & Shallote is in a nice location between Wilmington & Myrtle Beach. They have that south small town feel, with you being younger you might like the Wilmington area better..Leland right outside of Wilmington is nice & being built up.I like it there also.I've been looking in both areas when I go down.. I've heard nice things about the New Bern area,Ive never been there I might want to check that area out,since I still have a young kid in school,I also have to look at schools. Let me know if you find anything interesting,,good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina