U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,111 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am wanting to relocate to North Carolina. I am obsessed with Lighthouses, yet have never actually been to one. The Outer Banks intrigue me.... I am looking for a small, quite, safe place, hopefully close to the shore or close enough anyway. My kids are grown and I am on my own. All I need is a small home for me and my dogs and of course a job!!! I am a title examiner, office manager. I have experience in the Real estate business also. If anyone has any suggestions, it would really be appreciated.

thanks
kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
For NC Lighthouse's web sites-Here's a good one: North Carolina Lighthouses
I have been very fortunate in that I have been to almost all of NC Lighthouses-Even Price's Creek lighthouse in the Cape Fear River. I've been atop of the Hatteras and Cape Lookout light houses.
(Even fortunate enough to hover over the Hatteras Lighthouse in a helicopter when it was being moved)
In my "prior life" I was a television producer and produced a documentary on "Diamond City"-So named due to the diamonds on the Lookout lighthouse and the city's proximity to the lighthouse. I also was the videographer/producer for a segment on the Cape Lookout Lighthouse for the History Channels, "Modern Marvels".

I'd love to talk, "lighthouse" with you. And as far as your other quest goes-It's what I do for a living so I gotta keep quiet!!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM

11 posts, read 30,711 times
Greenville would be a great place to move to. Friendly and not so big and close enough to the coast to go see the lighthouses and make some day trips and weekend trips. Love to send you some information on the area. Be glad to help you relocate to Greenville or the surrounding areas. Winterville is nice.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Reidsville NC is a good place...about 4 hrs from the coast. I know someone with 2 houses for sale (live in one rent out the other)at a good price with a large back yard in a good neighborhood.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 32,149 times
Check out Wilmington / Leland. Close to the Bald Head Island Light House, a lovely afternoon fairy ride and then ride your bike under the trees up to the foot of the light house..... ahhhhh. Plus here you are only 10-15 minutes from the ebach, you have historic downtown Wilmington, some affordable apartments..... and despite the down housing market, builders are dropping prices to move inventory, you might get a great deal on a single family!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,112,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsbell View Post
Hello everyone! I am wanting to relocate to North Carolina. I am obsessed with Lighthouses, yet have never actually been to one. The Outer Banks intrigue me.... I am looking for a small, quite, safe place, hopefully close to the shore or close enough anyway. My kids are grown and I am on my own. All I need is a small home for me and my dogs and of course a job!!! I am a title examiner, office manager. I have experience in the Real estate business also. If anyone has any suggestions, it would really be appreciated.

thanks
kat
Kat, the Outer Banks are wonderful! I lived there for nine years and would still live there except that we have retired and can no longer afford the cost of living there!!

Manteo is a wonderful, safe little town on Roanoke Island! You can expect to pay about $1000/month rent for a small place, so please make sure you have a job before making the move!! If you are looking to buy, you can expect to pay at least $275,000 for a condo or possibly a small house!

There are three wonderful lighthouses right on the OBX....Currituck Lighthouse, Bodie Island Lighthouse and Hatteras Lighthouse - plus you can take the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke to the Ocracoke Lighthouse!!!

Good luck in your quest, and if you make it to OBX, you will love it!!! Living there is like living in 'paradise'!!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 AM

144 posts, read 608,914 times
I would check out Manteo. It's a neat little town that is big enough not to be called rural and yet small enough not to feel like the city. It's in the middle of the outer banks but is not on the beach part (meaning prices will be smaller). It is really a cool town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina