U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

20 posts, read 60,006 times

Advertisements

Hey, I might have a job in Jacksonville, NC and I know nothing about the area or the state for that matter. I went to the Outter Banks once when I was young. Is this a nice area? I am used to Metro Detroit which is a very urbanized area with heavy traffic. Is this completely different? Just wanted to know about the area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,566,539 times
Well, i don't know a ton about Jacksonville, but i did visit once. You do know that Jacksonville is home to a marine base and is over run will military guys and gals??

My brother moved there from NE Ohio 2 years ago and is teaching school. Jacksonville is growing and has something like 75k people. I didn't care too much for the area (thought Wilmington and the beach towns were much nicer) as there isn't much to do there.

Being that you're from metro Detroit you might be lost w/out your cultural events and sports teams. I know my brother has had to drive a minimum of 2 hours to see a concert and he says the mall in Jacksonville is crappy. You can always make the hour or so drive to the next mall though!ha! He is also really missing professional sports, but otherwise he seems to like it. He's found himself a southern g/f and she is very nice and she's glad she found someone who isn't a marine. Besides her he hangs out w/all the other Ohioans living and teaching in the area.........almost like home only hotter w/more bugs and reptiles.

I would suggest you go for a visit before taking the job. Oh yeah, and if you need a realtor, i know a good one...........my bro's g/f!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
The mall is crappy. The whole town is crappy, if you ask me. The only thing to do in the area is the beach.

On the other hand, the climate is much milder than what you experience in Detroit. It seldom snows, doesn't even go below freezing that much. Many winter days have highs in the 60s and it's pleasant to be outside.

If you want 'culture', though, you'll have to travel to Wilmington, New Bern, or someplace even further away.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

181 posts, read 439,877 times
Jacksonville is definitely NOT urban, compared to where you are now. It's basically a big collage of suburbia... mostly chain restaurants & stores, strip malls, etc.

Traffic is usually not a problem outside of morning & evening rush. But yeah... there are several thousand Marines who live off base, who all have to funnel through the gates of Camp Lejeune (or New River) to go to work in the mornings. Fortunately, their days usually start earlier than most civilan jobs, so the traffic clears up early.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
On a lighter note, and don't take this personally: people that have MI plates will be right at home driving in that area

Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 34,242 times
Default Jacksonville, NC Onslow County

Hello Coaster112.

I live in Swansboro which is about 20 or so miles from Jacksonville. You will find Jacksonville to be somewhat suburban inside the town area. Outside the town area can be rather rural. For the most part, I love it down here. If you like living by the sea, you will love it too. Obviously, you will find it much warmer here than Detroit. You will even find palm trees growing here.

The entire area is pretty much very military because of Camp Lejuene and the Marine Air Base. Many of the residents here are what is referred to by the local indigenous peoples as Yankee transplants. Most of them are from the North East states such as N.J. N.Y. CONN, and PA. Lots to do here especially if you like outdoor activities. Property taxes are cheap compared to what we paid in NJ, and I mean cheap about 1/4 to 1/3 what we paid up north. If you're used to living urban you will need to make some adjustments but for me it was easy. Very little if any road rage sufferers here which makes driving almost pleasurable again. If you want to travel outside of the immediate area you will need to do some driving. To go north on I-95 it's about 130 miles of back roads. If you wish to go west it's about an hour or so to I-40. Myrtle Beach SC is only about 130 miles from Jacksonville.

Golf anf boating/fishing are the big 3 for recreation in this area. There's some good hunting too if you like that. You'll find some local taverns, some great restuarants, shopping malls, a rifle/pistol range close by, miniature golf, driving ranges, a lot of good golf courses in the area. Good luck if you decide to move here and drop me an e-mail to let me know. Perhaps we could meet and I'll show you around!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM

218 posts, read 428,088 times
Default hope it's not to late

J'ville (locals name) is a military town. The people are very nice. If you are use to Detroit, sorry there is no comparison. J'ville is a flat land surrounded by pine trees. There is only one movie theater. One small indoor shopping mall. But you have some of the most beautifully beaches a few minutes away. Alot of small towns that will put you in another world. Good or bad you choose. Welcome to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster112 View Post
Hey, I might have a job in Jacksonville, NC and I know nothing about the area or the state for that matter. I went to the Outter Banks once when I was young. Is this a nice area? I am used to Metro Detroit which is a very urbanized area with heavy traffic. Is this completely different? Just wanted to know about the area. Thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,451 times
I am also moving to Jacksonville in a couple of weeks; I consider it an honor to be in the town that hosts the largest marine base in the world. Yes there is only one mall but I think the coastal location is a nice one; beautiful beaches, gorgeous countryside around the town and convenient to Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, New Bern and just a couple hour drive to Raleigh. A large winery, the Duplin winery, an hour and 15 minutes away (as the crow flies approx 40 miles but a longer drive on beautiful country roads) in Rose Hill has a nice restaurant and dinner theatre; on the way there you will also pass beautiful cotton fields and a blueberry farm. The thing to remember in moving anywhere is to keep an open, positive mind...and embrace the place for what it is, not what you want it to be; with a sense of adventure you can find a lot of hidden treasure.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,935 times
Hello Jacksonville does have a lot of traffic at certain times when the Marines go to and from work. It's a nice area. It's kinda like a small city. They have taxis and the like but its not like Chicago or Ny big. [EMAIL="candypinkhill@aol.com"]candypinkhill@aol.com[/EMAIL] God bless

Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,292 times
Ive been living in Jacksonville for about 3 years now. I really love living here. Initially i hated it coming from NY. Even though you do have to drive to get to most things like the airport(if you want a direct flight, or cheaper flights), a nice museum, concerts etc. Ive met very nice people and i dont mind the drive when I do feel like going out to do something different, it becomes a little day trip to look foward to.THe beaches are beautiful, traffic not bad, you can find nice houses for less, they have the main stores to go shopping to, and a few restaurants, so its not like you will be in a city where there is absolutely nothing around. Now that we are moving I realize how much i really like this place. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina