U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,259 times

Advertisements

I have read alot of forums and some of you were going to move to New Bern in 2007 and 2008...so I was wondering if you did and how you like it there?? My husband and I will be visiting New Bern the 14th of this month to see if it's where we want to move/retire. Please let me know what your thoughts are of the area. Thanks..Ellen in KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Our family moved to New Bern last fall. My wife and I love it, our teenage daughters hate New Bern. Though they laugh at the frequent comments about gang activities at the local high school. Their school in Charlotte was much worse, though they never had an issue there, either. Don't let wild talk about gangs at New Bern High worry you.

We live in the Riverside Historic District. You will see New Bern has three historic districts (maybe four). The one downtown is very nice, pristine if you will, but the prices their are still outrageous. The Riverside district is about 3/4 miles north of downtown. We can bike to church, to the bank's ATM and other places. We could walk it, but it is just a bit far for that. Riverside is still in some degree of transition (meaning there are some very nice and a few not so nice houses), but prices for historic homes here are reasonable. We do have a pretty active Historic Riverside Homeowners Association. The other historic district is, I think, Ghent. Right now there are several homes for sale in Riverside, and one of our neighbors in Riverside is one of the top local realtors. She loves to sell homes in our (and her) neighborhood.

Right now the main bridge in to New Bern is closed for construction (If you have GPS it will probably direct you that way..watch the signs instead), and other the main road into town, Broad Street, is also torn up for a very ill advised "lane reduction and tree planting in the medium project" which has most citizens riled up.

As you approach New Bern, though the construction, it is a little grim...but keep on heading down town and you will be pleased when you arrive. There are two hotels on the waterfront, downtown, a Sheraton and ugh...can't remember but it looks pretty nice as well.

New Bern is about 2 1/2 hours from Raleigh, almost all interstate type highway, 45 minutes from Greenville, Morehead City (the beach) and Jacksonville. All of those have malls and big box stores. Our mall, here in New Bern, is pitiful, but we have about all you need otherwise, but my girls go to the above mentioned towns for "real shopping."

New Bern has good, not necessarily great hospital. There are a number of Doctors and Physician groups here. I spent four days there last spring and walked out!

Like many southern towns and cities, there are some undesirable areas sometimes pretty close to nicer areas, but that is the south. If you are afraid of seeing people who do not look like you, stay away, cause we are all in New Bern together! It seems to work well, by the way.

Today, November 2nd, we were on the water about 6 hours fishing. I was in shorts and fishing shirts, my wife was bundled up a big more, but I did get sunburned. You cannot hate fishing in November. New Bern is at the confluence of the Trent River and the Neuse River. Lots of water sports and a world class kayak club. The bridge complex over the rivers is pretty amazing for this size town...your NC tax dollar at work. By the way, one of the candidates for governor is from New Bern. UHMMMMM........

We have a superb restaurant in town, The Chelsea, and a number of other very good ones. You should try the Chelsea while you are here. The theater is active, the community college is very intertwined with the town. My girls think the local movie theater is pretty weak, but I don't go to movies, so I do not care.

There are a number of old, beautiful historic churches in New Bern. We go to Christ Episcopal, which is right downtown. You should check it out, too.

I do not believe the local government is all that sharp (trying to be polite), but that is the case in many small towns.

There are a lot of retirees here, I am not one, yet, and there is not a lot of quality nightlife, though I am not in search of any.

There are also a number of developments farther east on US 70 such as Carolina Colors and Taberna, but to me, New Bern is historic homes, with front porches with light (Carolina Blue) ceilings. You don't get that in the newer areas.

Hope this helps. New Bern is pretty small and may not have all the services you are used to, but we (at least my wife and I) are very, very pleased to be here, and wish we had made the move many years ago.

lln

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Default THANKS for the Info !!

LLN, thank you so much for your "take" on New Bern. I look forward to our visit there! We are not Night-life kind of people so we will do great in New Bern! I love the look of the historic homes I have seen online there. And I love fishing (hubby doesn't) so I plan to fish a lot if we move there. We too are not quite ready for retirement--if the economy was better, hubby would consider it (he's 60).
Thanks for the info on the road closure situation...we will stay at the Holiday Inn Express and our directions there have us coming off of US 17 to the MLK blvd. My husband is awesome with directions! (not me-lol!) so I'm sure we'll get there ok. Again, thanks for the info!! Ellen in KY.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 PM

505 posts, read 2,313,569 times
Hi Stampsalot

If I were you...I would stay at the comfort suits in downtown New Bern. Just in case you did not know about it. It is located right on the water. The Holiday inn is located on hwy 17 with no view.

If the prices are right...you still may have time to switch. The prices should be close I would think.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 AM

49 posts, read 250,645 times
We moved to New Bern last fall, and love the town. We moved here from Baltimore-Washington area, so as you can imagine, the transition to small-town life has been the biggest challenge. After 35 years of dragging around with the Air Force and USAirways, we find New Bern a relaxing change of pace. I am originally a southern gal from Va Beach, so I feel right at home here. LLN pretty much hit the nail on the head with his description of NB. We built a house in Carolina Colours and love the development. Most of the folks are from out of town like us, but because the folks around here are so friendly, it's easy to fit in. My husband is retired, but I still work in the medical community. Healthcare here was another transition for me, coming from the powerhouse medical centers in Maryland, but it is adequate. The area is booming as a retirement spot. Most of the lots in the developed area of Colours are sold. Bridgeton, across the river is looking at a huge new development. I fear we will have our share of big box stores and chain restaurants in the not too distant future. When we started building our house there were no Starbucks, and now we have two. Dunkin Donuts has also discovered the area. But, hopefully, all of this will take place in the outlying areas and leave the historic district intact. We bought a boat (I tink it's a rule here) and are looking forward to year-round boating, I don't mind bundling up in the winter. Enjoy your stay here. Take a drive over to Oriental, that was our original destination the first time we came down. My husband jokes that he could not live in Oriental because there is no Home Depot (not one in New Bern either, but Lowes is a close second), but after living here for a year, I see we made a wise choice not settling in Pamlico County. Let us know what you think after you make your trip.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Smile Trip Postponed

Thanks to all who answered me. We are postponing our trip there until the Spring of 2009. Not a good time for us to go to New Bern right now. Sounds like a great place to live! Ellen

Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 AM

844 posts, read 2,676,754 times
Smile We are still planning to retire to NB........

I still have about 2-3 years before retirement, but we are still planning to retire to NB.

We took a trip down last summer, and plan another sometime in 09, and thus far we like the area. However, we are not 100% locked in to NB as yet; as there are some nice outlying areas we have to take a closer look at, like: Newport, Morehead City, Cartaret County, or maybe even somewhere down around the Wilmington area (Calabash?).

While we love being near the coast here in NJ (5-6 miles) we don't want to be to close to the coast in NC due to the hurricanes, and NB looks to be far enough away to avoid severe damage. Also, from what we are able to find out, Craven Regional looks to have good medical care, and should hopefully get better as the retirement population increases.

But, New Bern looks to be it.

Regards,....Marc & Joan

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM

57 posts, read 114,379 times
I've been reading with interests all the posts regarding the N.C. "coastal" towns as my husband retired last year and we were going to move down to be closer to our daughter in Raleigh. Unfortunately, he passed away the day before Thanksgiving of this year. I live in V.T. and can't wait to leave and my daughter was saying she had heard New Bern was nice. I am 51 yrs. old and work as a nursing assistant here. I was just wondering anyone's thoughts about a single woman living there as far as employment, rental properties (pet-friendly) and if it would seem to be easy to make friends if you weren't part of a couple. Sorry to ramble, but it's scary to think of starting over again and just wanted some insight. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 AM

96 posts, read 296,333 times
I was so glad to see this thread. We lived in New Bern for over 30 years!! Moved there in 1974. About 15 years ago we bought a second home in Emerald Isle and live there now, so we are still in the area.

Friends: It is a very safe place for a single woman. The best way to meet and make friends is through church. Being a southern town, it still seems to me that most of the social network surrounds church activities. Otherwise it might be hard to meet and make friends. This is, I believe, primarly a family environment. So finding a circle of friends, I think, would take more time than prehaps a larger town like Wilmington, NC.
Employment: Nursing assistants seem to be able to find work everywhere. New Bern is no exception.
Rental: Plenty of places to rent from apartments to single family homes. Much less expensive than other parts of the country.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

438 posts, read 1,194,836 times
watching this thread with interest as hubby is interested in the tech. school in New Bern and the fact that he can transition an associates earned there to the bachelor program in Greenville has really gotten his attention. Especially interested in rental home information if anyone has sites or realtor IDs available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina