U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 PM

219 posts, read 789,162 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there who lives in the area of Calabash and Shallotte.
We are HOPING to move in a few months.
ANY AND ALL INFORMATION YOU CAN SUPPLY IS GOING TO BE GREATLY APPRECAITED.
I am retiring so please keep that in mind also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,831 times
Default Shallotte

We are moving to the town next to Shallotte, called Ash.. its rural, but next to Shallotte.. We are retiring as well.. our daughter and husband bought 100 acres with house, we are building a house on a piece of that property. We love the area, esp. being so close to the ocean and hope its going to be the best choice for us.. We've lived all our lives outside Boston, looking forward to the warmer climate and country living. Shallotte seems to be growing quickly, we've heard that Calabash is upscale for the area.. we keep in touch by reading the Brunswick News every wednesday. are you moving to one of the new golf communities in Shallotte.. We've toured a few of the Rivers edge communities that seem to be changing the population in Shallotte.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalavin View Post
We are moving to the town next to Shallotte, called Ash.. its rural, but next to Shallotte.. We are retiring as well.. our daughter and husband bought 100 acres with house, we are building a house on a piece of that property. We love the area, esp. being so close to the ocean and hope its going to be the best choice for us.. We've lived all our lives outside Boston, looking forward to the warmer climate and country living. Shallotte seems to be growing quickly, we've heard that Calabash is upscale for the area.. we keep in touch by reading the Brunswick News every wednesday. are you moving to one of the new golf communities in Shallotte.. We've toured a few of the Rivers edge communities that seem to be changing the population in Shallotte.
Marsh,
We have been taking our once a year vacation to SC/NC for about ten years and fell in love with the whole experience. NJ and our little town has changed for the worse and even forcing us financially to move. Can't afford to retire and live here.
We just hope to find a little place in that area and be happy.
Calabash is a real nice "little town" but the home prices are getting way out of our range. A piece of land "200x200" is running anywhere from 28k to 50k. There are still a number of places that we can afford and be happy with.
We just have to find out as much as possible about income, property, vehicle taxes to figure out our pennies.
Fixing this place up here in NJ and figuring out how everthing will work out is mind boggling. Can't understand how it will all come together.
Best of luck to you and yours and I KNOW YOU WILL LOVE THE AREA.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,338,065 times
Hey Printman,
We, too, know we can't afford to retire in NJ. We loved the Brunswick Co. area of NC and after some research bought a lot in Sunset Beach (mainland) about two years ago. It is located between Calabash and Shallotte. This area is becoming very popular with folks up here in the northeast and the price of land seems to be inching up yearly. We were afraid there wouldn't be any land left by the time we retired! We get about 2-3 mail solicitations every week trying to sell us more property in the area, not to mention the multiple phone calls!
This area is pretty laid back but I wonder what it will be like in the coming years with a bunch of us looking to move there?
I know what you are saying about orchestrating the move........MIND BOGGLING!
Good luck with your search!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,878 times
I am trying to help arrange for a surprise wedding for my daughter with her fiance at Holden Beach. Can any one help with contacts for someone to perform a civil marriage ceremony? Thanks,

Kevin

Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 PM

709 posts, read 720,534 times
It is a great place to vacation BUT this is the land of Tobacco and Pork!!

There really is not much to do, libraries are well nothing like up here in Wake County, shopping? Myrtle Beach?? Wilmington??

Dude I would really be careful. That said it is a beautiful area sunset beach holden beach ocean isle beach.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 AM

197 posts, read 876,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Hey Printman,
We, too, know we can't afford to retire in NJ. We loved the Brunswick Co. area of NC and after some research bought a lot in Sunset Beach (mainland) about two years ago. It is located between Calabash and Shallotte. This area is becoming very popular with folks up here in the northeast and the price of land seems to be inching up yearly. We were afraid there wouldn't be any land left by the time we retired! We get about 2-3 mail solicitations every week trying to sell us more property in the area, not to mention the multiple phone calls!
This area is pretty laid back but I wonder what it will be like in the coming years with a bunch of us looking to move there?
I know what you are saying about orchestrating the move........MIND BOGGLING!
Good luck with your search!
Just out of curiosity ---- what is the difference between retiring in NJ and in Brunswick County NC? What is so much more expensive in NJ? Is it taxes? Housing costs? I'm just curious, b/c so much is said about how it's so expensive in the Northeast.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM

197 posts, read 876,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVKOV51 View Post
I am trying to help arrange for a surprise wedding for my daughter with her fiance at Holden Beach. Can any one help with contacts for someone to perform a civil marriage ceremony? Thanks,

Kevin
I don't know how much a surprise it is --- but here's information on getting a marriage license (which is needed if you want a valid marriage ceremony)

Brunswick County, NC Register of Deeds - Marriage Licenses

Magistrates can perform weddings in NC. Call the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office and they should be able to tell you how to get in touch with magistrates in the county.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,878 times
Thanks....I'll try that.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSC View Post
Just out of curiosity ---- what is the difference between retiring in NJ and in Brunswick County NC? What is so much more expensive in NJ? Is it taxes? Housing costs? I'm just curious, b/c so much is said about how it's so expensive in the Northeast.
NCSC,
Where do I start?
We put a deposit on a home in Shallotte. The price of the home is $149000. It is a double wide with a two car garage. 3 bed two bath. 9 yrs old. Lot is 120x120. Private road (no park or HOA).
That home on that lot in NJ would run............starting at $200,000 easy. The taxes in NJ average $6000.00 for the homeowner. I pay $3600.00 a year on a 50x100 foot lot with a real old home (nothing special at all) 3 bed one bath no garage.
The taxes on our (hopefully) new home .........as best as we can figure will run about 800.00 a yr TOTAL. Homeowners insurance and auto insurance will be AT LEAST HALVED.
The return to the taxpayer in services rendered is disgusting at best.
The school system is rife with mismanagement. No relief in site.
The new 20% property tax cut is filled with more caveats (sic) so that it really is no relief at all.
The governor is now considering raising the gasoline tax.
And an added benefit.
I have read and asked about NC.
The political corruption and crime in Shallotte will be cut by over 2/3rds. Maybe more. Think that doesn't cost the taxpayer?
That is why Judy and I are praying each and every day that we will be fortunate to sell our home and MOVE TO OUR NEW HOME IN SHALLOTTE.
Dennis / Woodlynne NJ (borders Camden NJ............sure you recognize Camden which is the final reason to MOVE.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina