Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring soon and are considering relocating to the New Bern area. Can anyone give me really sound reasons for choosing New Bern over Wilmington?? Are there enough activities in and around the New Bern area as we have always been active and involved. How's the housing market??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
Well, it seems 99% of the population here are retirees so you would be in good company. Not really, but it is a popular retiree spot. There is lots to do in New Bern if you enjoy boating, golfing, tennis, not too far from the beach, etc. There are also volunteer activities to be involved, a small community theatre, lectures and films at Tryon Palace, etc.

I haven't spent much time in Wilmington so I can't give you a comparison, but my neighbors moved to New Bern from Wilmington and they love it in NB and are very happy they made the move. This was about 3 years ago. Housing is also cheaper in NB.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
Wilmington was at one time the No.1 place for people to retire in NC, with New Bern No.2....All said and done please check out places ALL up and down the NC coast....Need info, call me...

Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 55,206 times
There is quite a lot to do in New Bern. Golfing, boating, fishing, tennis. There are also tons and tons of volunteer activities, church related activities, historical society, preservation foundation, Tryon Palace, Shriners, Red Hats, Bunko, Bridge Clubs, Arts Guild, Coastal Women's Shelter, Book Clubs, dance clubs (swing, shag, etc.) and many social clubs. Eventually you have to learn how to say no to some of the activities when you need a little rest.

The big difference between New Bern and Wilmington is traffic. Wilmington has quite a bit. Between the summer tourists, UNC Wilmington and military personnel you can count on constant congestion.

New Bern has no traffic and depending on where you live everything is between 5-10 minutes away. Also, the shopping has improved tremendously with the renovation of the mall, new shops and restaurants downtown. Housing prices are also much less and the inventory is rather high right now due to the economy.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,896 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was a bit concerned about the traffic in Wilmington as we will be moving from a very highly congested traffic city and really want to get away from "living thru traffic." We will consider New Bern and are very excited about the prospects. What are the desirabe areas (neighborhoods)? While I love the historic area, we are not interested in rehabing or spending all our time in renovations. I've heard about an area called Trent Woods....any comments?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Trent Woods has some huge homes on the water (Trent River) and near the water, but a lot of small homes, too. I would opine, without looking it is 4 or so miles from the center of New Bern. Probably homes from last 30 years or so. It is it's own little town, but is highly associated with New Bern. It is a desirable locale.

Other areas near, but not in New Bern are Taberna, Carolina Colours (not a typo, someone trying (and failing) to be creative), and Riverbend. There are, of course others.

If you are selling in Pebble Beach, you probably will have plenty of money to buy a very nice Historic Home. I can't imagine living in New Bern and not being in one of the historic districts, but of course, that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina