U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 18,155 times

Advertisements

Pamlico County was formed in about 1880. Don't quote me on the year. My grandparents and father's family are from there. We visit New Bern, and Pamlico County, almost every summer. Beautiful area. Hasn't changed much in the 15 years we've been visiting.

Lots of colonial history can be found in the county next door (Beaufort County.) I like the area because it has been kept pretty rural. You've got the Piggly Wiggly grocery store at the corner of Hwy. 55 & 306. Turn right onto Hwy. 306 and you are heading into Grantsboro. If you turn left, onto Hwy. 306, you are heading to the area of Silverhill, Aurora, Edwards, and the Pamlico Sound., and going towards Minnesot Beach area.

The real estate market is beginning to really boom down there. Especially, for anything on or near the water.

There are many creeks around the area such as Dawson's creek, my father used to take me there to swim, picnic, and crab. Much of the beach has now been eroded due to damage from previous hurricanes.

Oriental, is a small little fishing town that has a true down earth feeling. I'm from the North and travel all over Beaufort, Craven, Pamlico, and Pitt counties to do research. In all the years, I've been traveling and interviewing folks down there I've never been treated rudely.

I believe that if you others respect and kindness, you'll receive the same right back.

I'd move to Pamlico if you like the rural experience. If you want to talk with some of my cousins that still live there send me your phone number and I'll have them call you.

Love and kindness always win! So, smile and be happy!

Good-luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

49 posts, read 250,619 times
We went to Oriental to look for property, but my husband didn't like it because it didn't have a Home Depot. We ended up buying in New Bern, which will be getting a Home Depot soon. I love Oriental, as do my grown kids, so I expect we'll spend a lot of time there. It's like stepping back in time, but the locals love it that way and I'm willing to bet they will continue driving to New Bern for services rather than allowing their quaint village turn into Strip Mall Heaven.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,904 times
Default Oriental

We relocated from the LBI area in So. NJ 4 years ago. We love our area (Winterville) we are 2.8 mi away from the "City" of Greenville. Oriental is beautiful and so is New Bern. Our favorite is the little town of Beaufort. We drive down there a couple of times a month with our Samoyed and the 3 of us sit outside at the Dock House watching the boats come in, looking at the Wild Horses across the water and eating their famous "drunkin shrimp". Life is good. Good luck with your move, you will love it here.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 24,578 times
Default Pamlico County NC

Where do I start,
A great place to do Nothing,easy liveing, Quiet, Back woods, End of the world, just a few thoughts that come to mind. Of the five county commissioners only one went to collage. They are all local but one and none know how to deal with the new wave of development, actually no one wants it. There are two food stores, Food Lion is a dump, the Pig is ok but small. some other little stores the biggest thing to hit the county was the Burger King a few years ago.
Thw county warter is not for drinking, they even tell you that in news letters. The cost ov liveing is just like any where else and getting higher. The locals are frendley to a point. The outsiders try to make like home NY and NJ but that does not work.
Crime, not to bad like any where else.
To sum it all up, maybe in the next ten years they will finally get out of the 1950s and join the real world. Liveing in Pamlico County Phill

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
Check out Belhaven in Beaufort Co. We were looking for similar area last year and fell in love with Belhaven for it's laid back, calm life style. Belhaven is on the Pamlico Sound and the Intracoastal Waterway. The people are wonderful and not found anyone we did not like. Time just slows down there. Belhaven has a hospital, polulation of about 1950 people, no Target or Walmart or Lowes but they do have Food Lion, Kerr Drugs and the famous, Family Dollar. Pleanty of excellent restaurants, Bed and Breakfast, a condo on the water, very famous museum, 2 on water marinas and very good fishing. We hooked up with a very good local realestate agent that really helped us keep from making a lot of mistakes in purchasing our second home there.
Good luck
explorer20042

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,449 times
Any thoughts on Arlington place in pamlico county? Thinking of building there.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,449 times
Smile Arlington Place?

Anyone have any info on Arlingtin Place in Minnesott Beach? Thinking of moving there. Get me OUT of Boston!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesweck View Post
Anyone have any info on Arlingtin Place in Minnesott Beach? Thinking of moving there. Get me OUT of Boston!

I don't know about Arlington Place sepcifically, I amgaine itt's a subdivision with everthing typical of subdivisions. If it's anything like Cherry Branch, which is on the Craven half across the sound, it's probably pretty nice.

I did work at Camp Seagull which is just in from Minnesot Beach. Living there you basically have two options for any "heavy lifting" as far as retail. You take teh land route up and around to New Bern, or you hop on the Ferry and go to Havelock, or Newport or MHC. You'll have to learn some back roads to easily, quickly get to the latter two once off the Ferry. Or else you'll have to drive in to Havelock or Beaufort and around on NC 101 to US 70.

It's fun to feed the Seagulls off the Ferry, though. Also, the beach is sandy along the Neuse there.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transi...ryschedule.pdf

http://www.ncdot.gov/ferry/

Last edited by macjr82; 02-07-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM

236 posts, read 1,369,762 times
Just came back yesterday night from pamlico county. It looked like it must have rained for a week straight because I was walking my timberland and the water was ankle deep in spots. Never seen it so wet but I normally am there in the summer. Ate at Charlies saturday night for a great meal as usual. Looks like a quarter of the county is for sale. I for one am glad the building boom slowed down to a trickle because the remote feel is the reason I invested in the area. Seems to be a distinct division between the locals and the newcomers. If you like bugs, snakes and wildlife pamlico county is paradise.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Just came back yesterday night from pamlico county. It looked like it must have rained for a week straight........
I live in Carteret County, have business in Craven County and go to Church in Pamlico County so I get a first hand view of things. We have had rain by the bucket full. My yard looks like its high tide and I don't live on the water. It is very, very wet. Any uncleared area will hold this rain water for sometime.
And believe it or not-Snow is in the forecast again!!!
We've had three snow events here in Carteret County this winter. Please not a fourth!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina