U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2006, 04:30 PM

152 posts, read 406,847 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I'll get a response here, but would sure like to connect with
a local. I'm taking an early retirement and leaving beautiful cape may N.J.
for a more relaxed life style somewhere in Pamlico, maybe near Oriental.
I see the big developers are moving in so I guess it won't be long before
it starts to look like South Jersey..I can only hope it doesn't change for a
while anyway. The area reminds me of our Delaware bay communities about
30 years ago. Anyway, I would like to know where locals shop, get there
medical needs met. Just daily life, really...Thanks....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 PM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
I have a friend that just moved to Greene County from there but she was originally from Greene County before then. They lived there about 2 years and she seemed to like it there. They lived in Grantsboro, well, I think that is the name of the town. I know it had Grant in the name. I know that Oriental is a hot attraction down there.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:50 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,678,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay
I'd say New Bern (Pop. 24,000) for items or services you can't find locally. About 30 miles from Oriental.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM

New Bern is correct. I remember hearing Judy and Kelly say they went to New Bern say for the doctor and the like. Kelly's daughter Blair was born in the Craven County Hospital. I am going out on a limb and wonder if Pamilco isn't like us and don't have a hospital. Anyone?

Old 06-11-2006, 07:12 PM

134 posts, read 512,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay
I am moving next week to the New Bern area. Not sure where yet. I will live out of hotel until I get myself oriented.

There seems to be a nice new 4 lane hiway going into Pamlico, perhaps making it easier to get to New Bern (where most of the services appear to be). I have not been to Oriental, but plan on going there to visit when I get to the area. I like the idea of boats out numbering people!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM

You will love New Bern. It is so beautiful down there. Be sure and visit Tryon Palace while you are there. That is the old governor's mansion from when New Bern was the capital of North Carolina.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 14,189 times
Default Pamlico, lived there for 16 years

No hospitals, only a medical center. One strip Mall in Alliance with a Foodlion, Subway, Dollar Store and maybe a Fashion Bug. There's also one Hardees and my father recently told me Bojangles is coming. You are correct about the developers. In the last year the Oriental boom has caused a stir in the area and prices are skyrocketing. Be careful though, it's still very rural. The four lane road from Bayboro to New Bern will reduce drive time to approximately 10-15 minutes, depending where you're coming from. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. It will still take some time to grow, not much has changed since 1980 except prices. Hopefully, as more people come so will retail businesses.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM

577 posts, read 1,736,512 times
Default down side of Pamlico co

The area has grown but one major issue is the Neuse River which is used as a hog farm toilet. The River and Pamlico sound suffer low oxygen or dead areas. One main problem area is right at new bern bridge. This has changed many a peoples mind of the great water side area because of the stench from 1000000 dead fish. They say they are trying to fix it havent seen it. But beware. site link http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/esb/Fishkill/fishkillmain.htm (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,033,592 times
Default Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay View Post
I too am from Cape May. Hubby and I are looking around Elizabeth City area. Not too far from the Outter Banks and about as far from Va Beach and Norflok as you are from Philly. The area has alot to offer to retirees. You can look around and find many available properties on the sound and Pasquotank River. It's inland enough that you do not have to deal with beach traffic. What a plus!! Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM

212 posts, read 602,400 times
You can buy a house between Arapahoe and Oriental and tell all your friends that you live on Dawson's Creek.

I haven't been there in a long while but spent 2 summers working at one of the many camps in the area and absolutely loved it. With the exception of Oriental, the area is/was very rural and agriculture based. The last time I was there, I was amazed that they had installed a stoplight.

I love the view going over the bridge into Oriental. If I could afford a 2nd house right now, I would definitely consider buying a place in/around Oriental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina