U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Coastal NC: be on the ocean, some privacy, entertainment venues, water front homes, smaller lots

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,295 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I finally closed on the sale of our condo in NYC and are now free to start part two of our life...in coastal NC. It took nearly 7 months to sell our condo but patience paid off when we landed an offer reasonably close to our asking price

After doing some research and talking to friends, we have narrowed our choices to either Wilmington or the Outer Banks area. We want to be on the ocean and have some privacy but we also want to have access to entertainment venues and restaurants .

It seems that you can get larger lots with more privacy on the Outer Banks but the entertainment options appear to be more limited. Wilmington appears to have a lot more activity but the water front homes generally seem to be on smaller lots. Nonetheless, we are definitely leaning towards the Wilmington area.

Is there any reason that we should be looking more at the Outer Banks as opposed to Wilmington? Is there something we are missing?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:22 PM

69 posts, read 197,441 times
My opinion..... You will be bored out of your minds living on the outer banks. Wilmington is a cool trendy place with lots to do and see... My opinion only.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM

713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Smile Have you considered the Southern Outer Banks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCcya View Post
Hello,

My wife and I finally closed on the sale of our condo in NYC and are now free to start part two of our life...in coastal NC. It took nearly 7 months to sell our condo but patience paid off when we landed an offer reasonably close to our asking price

After doing some research and talking to friends, we have narrowed our choices to either Wilmington or the Outer Banks area. We want to be on the ocean and have some privacy but we also want to have access to entertainment venues and restaurants .

It seems that you can get larger lots with more privacy on the Outer Banks but the entertainment options appear to be more limited. Wilmington appears to have a lot more activity but the water front homes generally seem to be on smaller lots. Nonetheless, we are definitely leaning towards the Wilmington area.

Is there any reason that we should be looking more at the Outer Banks as opposed to Wilmington? Is there something we are missing?

Thanks much!
I am not certain what you are looking for in the way of entertainment, but the Crystal Coast, sometimes referred to as the Southern Outer Banks, would likely have more to do in regards to entertainment than the Northern Banks. We are also only an hour and one half from Wilmington. That is what it takes me from Cape Carteret.

We have plenty of boating of all types in the area. The beaches are great. We have a National Forest with miles of trails, and the vast majority of restaurants and services run year round.

You can also be in Raleigh in less than 2.5 hours. There is much wider variety of real estate available along the Crystal Coast because you can choose from more types of water.

Here is a map to orient you, you can read about why we picked this area over the Northern Outer Banks at my Sea Salt website.

We live on the White Oak River, ten minutes by car from walking on the beach. It's also ten minutes by boat from the Intracoastal, and another ten minutes to being in the ocean.

Here you can be on the river like we are, on the mainland side of the sound, the island side of the sound, or on the beach. There are also places right on the Intracoastal.

There are also some nice ocean front communities with plenty of privacy.

It depends on what you want.

On top of it all you have four grocery stores, a Lowes Home Improvement, and plenty of other stores and restaurants within minutes. Less than 20 minutes away is all the shopping we need in Morehead City, and we have the wonderful village of Beaufort to take guests for a day of history and shopping.

Good luck finding the right spot. The best way to figure out what works is to visit all areas. You can drive down the Northern Outer Banks and take a ferry to Ocracoke and then another ferry to Cedar Island, and visit our area on the way to Wilmington. I even have a post on the forum with recommended places to stay for just that trip.

North Carolina is pretty neat no matter where you settle. There is something for everyone. I would be glad to answer questions on the area if you have any.

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-23-2008 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 AM

214 posts, read 737,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCcya View Post
Hello,

Thanks much!
Congrats on selling your Condo! Are you looking to build or purchase a newly constructed home or resale? This is the best time for Buyers. If you enjoy Wilmington, there are some great communities to consider. The area truly has something for everyone, and in all price ranges. If you could be more specific with your wants and needs I'm sure someone on this forum would be happy to assist. I work with Buyers in New Hanover and Brunswick Counties, so feel free to DM me.
The Outer Banks are awesome too, however, there will be a lack of convenience for you, and coming from NYC, I don't see a fit there for you.
But by all means on your travels down this way, check it out.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,295 times
Thanks for the information, we'll be coming down after the holidays and have planned to drive down the entire coast.

Thanks for taking the time to provide that info dsobotta, we'll make sure to include Cape Carteret on our drive down.

As for specifics, it's a bit too early for us to know exactly what we want. We just know that we want to have morning coffee with the Atlantic as our backdrop.

Yes Nancy, that is what we were thinking as well but we are open to being proved wrong.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,233,440 times
As far as the Wilmington area goes, I would imagine Figure Eight Island would be your best bet. Wrightsville Beach doesn't strike me as the sort of place where you'd have any privacy, and if you can afford those aforementioned areas, then I would go ahead and skip Carolina and Kure Beaches.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,123,638 times
Unless you're independently wealthy and have no money issues, you might want to secure employment prior to moving here. Our unemployment rate is ~7%.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,871,489 times
We moved to charming little Beaufort from San Francisco and never looked backed. It's just the friendliest place I've ever lived and we've made wonderful life-long friends.

We enjoy Wilmington, too, but the Crystal Coast just seemed more watery to us, with ocean, sound and rivers to choose from--and loved the village compactness of the place and being able to ride our bicycles every where helped us choose Beaufort over Wilmington. Before we decided on Beaufort, we got stuck in Hwy 40 rush hour traffic and we thought, "Heck, this is just too much like the Bay area," so we opted for a smaller locale.

No doubt, your mileage may vary, but thought I'd chime in with my opinion.

The Outer Banks are beautiful and wild at times, but having one major island hwy. to travel on and seeing how it gets clogged in the summer made us rule out that area. We do enjoy taking a week's vacation in the OB during the off season, though. Incredible beaches, with higher dunes than here. Nothing clears the mind as well as walking for miles on a deserted beach, with pelicans and gulls your only companions (except, perhaps, for a cherished mate or dog).

Now if you expect Broadway quality shows and opera and symphony, you'll not find it here, but you will find chamber music and small theater and lots of local music venues with a variety of music from Cajun to blues to mountain music--and lots of artists, writers and other creative spirits--from all over the U.S. and beyond. Beaufort's a well-regarded seaport so we get vessels from all over traveling up and down the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) or from overseas...love the international flavor of these voyagers.

Enjoy your trip here. Love to hear about your adventures and impressions in NC...

Sincerely,

Little Dolphin
--from advertising guru to novelist in one 3000 mile move

P.S. The pace is much much slower and you'll definitely go through an acclimation period. We have a friend here who's a retired NYPD officer and even he has slowed down in his rapid fire speech after living here for a bit--and boy, could he talk fast. My ears simply could not keep up.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 PM

51 posts, read 136,031 times
Look in Brunswick County. Check out the town of Shallotte.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 PM

311 posts, read 812,335 times
NYCcya, would love to hear what you think of each town you visit in the coastal area and your impressions.. let us know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina